beer ASK WHEEBZ

wheebz said:
ferment it 10 degrees hotter where it should have been

it wasn't down that low until the 36-48th hour, but fair enough ...

the yeast was pitched into 3 gallons of 78F wort, and placed in the 63F fridge ... which I forgot to change ...

i take it you are suggesting the missing flavor in that beer are the ale yeast esters? ... i imagine it would be +5F above ambient inside the fermenter, during primary, too, although that might not hold up the same when fermenting in corny's, which would conduct ambient temp to the wort much more effectively than glass ...

i can see how that would fill in the profile a bit, i guess ... although i don't feel like that get it all the way to be something i'd truly enjoy ...

mine's delicate and light, with a little bit of light-toast on the end ...

maybe having driven the esters more and actually had less roast/toast ...

so, maybe less carafa instead of more, would have actually yielded something more balanced ...

hmmm interesting ... thanks.

lt3LH2w.png

I like it, but one thing (well, two technically) are driving me insane - the two little spikes in the white bar through the hop cone have to go ...

Otherwise it's solidly unique branding, though ...

There's a white bar through the hop cone, a la the pyramid on a dollar bill ... on the two ends, there's a little hop cone spike that's into the negative space of the white bar ... those two little nubs need to be removed IMO - they look like a rendering artifact ...

ASK WHEEBZ -

Beer in service, at like 37F or so, temp raised on it to 67F for 72 hours, then it's returned to 37F ...

If I understand Bamforth, there's not a very significant penalty for the up and down deltas ...

fluctuating temperatures are worse for your beer than you think

i mean its only for 72 hours, and you are gonna drink it fast anyways, but temperature flux is bad

wheebz said:
fluctuating temperatures are worse for your beer than you think

i mean its only for 72 hours, and you are gonna drink it fast anyways, but temperature flux is bad
i realize, but you know why i want to do it, and it's worth it ...

then i can mostly leave both freezers at service temp, and occassionally turn one up to 65F (ambient probe temp + ferm temp in keg) for seventy-two hours, or occassionally five degrees cooler for an overnight crash ...
it's got RDWHAHB value for me, as I waste a lot of time fretting over maximizing the throughput of my cold storage real-estate - of which there is never enough, living here =/

Ask Wheebz:

My last brew my ph came in at 5.88.  You commented that this is way too high.  Next up will be the Porter recipe that you were kind enough to share.  What is the best way to lower my ph?  Should I try that 5.2 stabilizer or is there a better method?  Should I brew a few more batches and get a few more readings before attempting to correct this?

tctenten said:
Ask Wheebz:

My last brew my ph came in at 5.88.  You commented that this is way too high.  Next up will be the Porter recipe that you were kind enough to share.  What is the best way to lower my ph?  Should I try that 5.2 stabilizer or is there a better method?  Should I brew a few more batches and get a few more readings before attempting to correct this?

Don't lower it for that batch, the dark grains will pull it down some ... probably right into range ...

Back