contest August Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crab would be an awesome throwdown. Or, we could make it shellfish in general. Wait. This one has already been decided hasn't it? Regional Sammich. That's right. Youins is in trouble.

There are few things in this world better than duck confit, brie, and hoisin sauce rolled up in a flour tortilla.

And then there's french fries cooked in duck fat.

And since you brought it up G, a deep fried soft shell crab is right up there too!

Y'all are makin' me feel cutesy hoity toity foo foo and all up in my 'thang.

Hm. I guess since we could just go down to the bayou or creek or lake or shore and land a ton of crab with such little effort, I never saw crab as hoity toity foo foo when I was growing up. And although it's not common everywhere and restaurants charge an arm and a leg (and your little dog, too!) for it, I still don't really see it as hoity toity foo foo.

Sorry G.

The HTFF part was more for the duck confit and duck fat part.

Soft shells ain't really HTFF but man do some joints charge like they are.

On that note I have heard of some body either around Chesapeake Bay or NOLA that sold a deep fried soft shell crab sammich.

Who it actually was, the name plumb evades me.

You guys don't like Peking duck? The crispy skin is akin to candied bacon in a way. Or like like a sweet chicharron. The meat is succulent, juicy. Get down to your Chinatown immediately.

Not a heap of authentic Chinese joints down here in Texas dontcha' know.

But I here you on the chicharron 'thang.

Chef pal of mine years ago used to do it all up brining the duck for 24 hours and then inflating the skin before hitting the oven.

Kinda' kinky if you ask me but so damn good!

Yeah you use an air compressor to separate the skin for the crispiness. Tru dat. It's also dipped in sugar and takes a day to make, dripping. It has stalactites on it. Something like that. I just eat 'em.

I could probably spend a month eating at all the Chinese joints around Canal St. in NYC.

I saw some show a while back about this joint showing how they did the Chinese bbq pork.

It looked killer!

I should know better than to read these threads when Im starving...

Chinatown smells like dead rats that ate dead fish so it's hard to like street food there. Especially when rats are crawling around the wheels of the cart (yes, it's true, at night, in the parks where they serve dumplings).

Duck - Haven't met one I didn't like to eat yet. And I guess I've been fortunate, because I also haven't eaten one I would describe as greasy. Maybe prep/cooking methods?
That is certainly possible - I'm in the SF Bay Area, so we invariably get duck as part of Asian or Asian-fusion meals. And the Chinese tend to make duck as greasy as possible. I've had roast duck that wasn't as greasy, but it was still a little greasy. You're correct though, it's all in the preparation - I've has smoked duck that wasn't at all greasy. That was the 1st time I was like, "oooh, this duck is excellent!" - but that was once, a long time ago.

THP I was talking about the restaurants not the street food carts.

And I for one don't want to hang out with vermin.

WAIT.

Sorry Jay.

I meant that in the nicest way.

Really.

And since you brought it up G, a deep fried soft shell crab is right up there too!
half my family is in Maryland - I know the pleasures of the soft-shell crab all too well. yummy.

You guys don't like Peking duck? The crispy skin is akin to candied bacon in a way. Or like like a sweet chicharron. The meat is succulent, juicy. Get down to your Chinatown immediately.
that might be it - I may well have OD'd (over-ducked) as a yout. Between Oakland, CA and SF, CA, we have two of the best chinatowns in the country. And they're pile high in duck carcass.

TB, I know... you meant the restaurants but that's where the stink starts, I don't know how often garbage day is but there is always bags of fish carcass and strange smells when there is no garbage.

TB, I know... you meant the restaurants but that's where the stink starts, I don't know how often garbage day is but there is always bags of fish carcass and strange smells when there is no garbage.

So you're saying to not go down there?

How's a guy in NYC 'posed to get good Chinese?

I'm sure there is good Chinese outside of Canal St. but as has been said about NYC pizza, its not like you can get off the train and POOF! there's killer Chinese right there.

So where do you go?

Name names!

Sound like you ain't never been to Houston. Sheesh. Tons of everything there. You're just in the barren part of the state, food-wise.....

Sorry G.

I try not to go down to the town known as "Heaven, Hell, or Houston".

And you're correct.

DFW is a pretty good food town but compared to Austin, it IS a barren wasteland.

All this damn talk about Chinese food.

I want some Mongolian Beef now!

Or some Sweet & Sour Shrimps.

Or BBQ Pork with super wombat Chinese mustard.

Or Beef Broccoli.

And don't skimp on the oyster sauce and make it Hunan hot!

Someone please do beef on weck.
Never had it, don't know anything about it, except it sounds awesome!
A proper recipe would be nice with it.

I could drink a gallon of au jus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back