• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Aus newbie q's

More pics

12dec002.jpg

12dec008.jpg

The weather today is wet cold and raining but tomorrows forecast is 35c and sunny ouch. Hopefully the weather might clear up soon and we can get some real growth going.:onfire:

all of the plants look good to me and that orange hab is going to be a monster....hope it produces as good for you as my second year one did...

Welcome. I wouldn't bother with the R.O. unless you have a water problem, it just takes all the goodies out leaving dead water which you'll have to replenish with extra nutrients.

Potawie you peppers look so good!!

The orange Hab is the only plant I've been playing around with and it seems to be helping. I've been removing large leafs that are shading new growth and trying to encourage new branching. Since it started to flower I've stopped doing it. I like the idea of creating a very dense base with lots of branches is this a normal practice for chili growers? You would think it should produce more in the long run that way.

I know of a hydroponics product that is a bonsai mixture it stunts the growth of a plant so you can tip the hell out of the plant creating a super dense base. Could be usefull with overwintered plants yeah?

Just re potted my largest Hab plant and noticed its a yellow hab not an orange. What's the difference going to be? Do they taste okay>

Have a good day

I still have the same problem with the flowers dieing off. It has gotten worse I have no new peppers at all on the hab now could it be from re potting it? I have started to use fertilizer once every two weeks. Will the hab just sort itself out over time?

One of my two hab peppers (this plant has nearly one hundred flowers and there all dropping off dead:hell:)
habpepperno1.jpg

My new diy watering system
21dec001.jpg

My Bih has really started to grow. It seems to be getting a really strong base going now with a very thick stem for how small it is.
21dec002.jpg

The block was a spare fishtank air block.

I have a 30ltr bucket thats feeding the drip system. I'm going away soon so I figured I should try it out.

Im trying to work out a cheap yet effective way of watering multiple pots daily, based off of a timer somehow. This may have given me an idea....thanks!

Yeah good point. I just chucked it all together from spare parts I had around the house. It just needs to work for a couple of days over the new years break then I'll be back around.

Lots of dead flowers with stems on the ground under my hab. I tried to hand pollinate my yellow hab on the weekend so I'll see if that works.

I wouldnt be too concerned about flower drop. I see it like this.

Chilli plants are similar to Sea turtles. A sea turtle lays hundreds off eggs to ensure a few make it!

My Bhut Jalokia had dropped dozens of flowers..... then 7 stuck all at the same time........ now its dropping them again?

no idea but i will be happy with just one to taste :)

cheers

Timmmy newbie said:
I still have the same problem with the flowers dieing off. It has gotten worse I have no new peppers at all on the hab now could it be from re potting it? I have started to use fertilizer once every two weeks. Will the hab just sort itself out over time?

One of my two hab peppers (this plant has nearly one hundred flowers and there all dropping off dead:hell:)

Welcome from Virginia. I found this while researching the flower drop as I've had some myself, but never to that extent.

"blossom-drop on most vegetables is almost always caused by poor pollination. However, peppers are self-pollinating and are therefore the exception to the rule.

The primary reasons peppers drop their blossoms are inconsistent watering and temperature fluctuations. Peppers need nighttime temperatures to stay above 65F. But they will also drop blooms when daytime temperatures stay consistently above 90F.

One way to reduce this stress on the plants is to water deeply twice per week and mulch heavily with dried grass clippings or straw. The mulch will help retain moisture while balancing the temperature of the soil. Also, avoid fertilizing during extremely hot periods." source:http://en.allexperts.com/q/Growing-Vegetables-740/Habaneros-Flower-Drop.htm

Hope that helps.

Okay back from my holiday 2,000km's of driving done and now I'm in need of a holiday lol

My happy plants:

Bih and pw hab have grown heeps and both have flowers:P

100_4632.jpg

my yellow hab has lots of peppers now and has nearly doubled since I transplanted it into a larger pot.

100_4633.jpg

But the sad news is my other plants are looking real sad. They had already looked bad before I went away and now they have gotten a bit worse

red hab
100_4634.jpg

close up of my unhappy fatali

100_4635.jpg

Any idea's. Half of my plants are booming along and the other half look like there slowly dieing off.

I haven't watered the sickly looking plants since last week but it has rained a few times since then.

Any help?

So the leaves on the sickly plants are yellow/light green and the habs leaves look wavey along there edges. Does that help?

I'm guessing there water logged as the soil is wet still. I won't water them until they look like they really need it.

G'day all, another lurker from NSW :)

I've noticed similar issues with some seedlings at the moment. I gor some epsom salts yesterday and have misted the leaves and dissolved some in solution and gave a good water (fingers crossed).

We're expecting temps for the next few days to hit the high 30's (37 'c today, 40 'c tomorrow and mid 30's on Wednesday). Should I be moving them into the shade or just keep an eye on them ?, I've put a layer of grass clippings to help keep the soil from drying out too much.

Well I have over one hundred yellow habs on the yellow hab plant now. None of them have started to change color yet although some of the oldest peppers stopped growing a couple of weeks ago.

I tried one just for the heck of it and wow it hurt. Wasn't really hot but just painfull lol

My Bih has got flowers now and I'm checking it daily for peppers.

My fatali and naga morich have not grown in weeks and still look sick. The upper leaves are now a lot darker but it doesn't look like I'll get any peppers of emm which sucks as all I really wanted from day one was fatali peppers. ohh well

yellow hab
yellowhab.jpg

Bad news for the fatalii and morich. Have you checked thePh of the soil? Might be worth looking into, as everything else seems to be in order. Also, how much sunlight do they get?

Not too sure how to test ph will it cost much to get a kit? If so could I just try adding something to raise or lower without testing. They are toast so could only get better.

They do get lots of direct sun light. Could they have been nuked?

Just waiting on the Bih now. Have been looking at lots of sauce recipes so I'm ready. Lots of hab's on the way and hopwfully some bih's to give it a real punch.

Back