Beer Here

The kits from NB and my LHBS have all the ingredients/qty's listed.  I would not by a kit if it wasn't.  That is how I learned.  I would find a style I like.  Then check different recipes for common ingredients.  I found most PA's were 2 row based and wheats were 60/40 wheat/2row. You can change the 2 row to marris otter, munich or vienna.  You can change the wheat to US,Ger etc.  The specialty malts/hops varied quite a bit but the base stayed at 85-90%.  I think my store relies on 2 row to keep the price down.  This made me think it can't be that complicated.  You can match the origin....like German grains/hops yeast but it just means you need a bigger supply of various grains on hand if you want to experiment.

The crystal 20L,40L,60L are just browned for various times to get darker.  You can brown 2row in the oven and get similar results.  You can substitute 1/3 60L and get pretty close to 20L.  I'm no expert and might be wrong on some of this but it helped me understand how it all comes together.  Otherwise it overwhelms you with all the various ingredients.

I was looking at what is classified as an American Lager. 

1. 48% 6-row
  2. 40% 2-row
  3. 8% rice flaked
  4. 4% Crystal 20l
The hops used are Cascade.

This intrigued me because there are very few ingredients and hopefully will allow me to learn the different tastes.  I have a couple of questions.  Can I and would I be better off just using 2-row or should I keep it as is? 

Just curious ... you can't provide lager temps without a temp-controlled freezer that I'm aware of (in terms of your gear/fridge/freezer etc), so why would you chose that to start? ...

What kind of beer do you like most? ...

grantmichaels said:
Just curious ... you can't provide lager temps without a temp-controlled freezer that I'm aware of (in terms of your gear/fridge/freezer etc), so why would you chose that to start? ...

What kind of beer do you like most? ...

Found it on beersmith.  Calls for a three stage fermentation...I may do 2...just for the practice and experience.  The fermentation temps  are 65-67....that basically is my basement temps.  So maybe it is really not a true lager, but just classified as one by the app.

I have found that I like most stouts that I drink, I also found that I think I like session type IPA's.  Both Pinner (Oskar Blues) and Founders All-Day would be examples that I like.

I settled...so far...on this one because of the small amount of ingredients.  I think I would try the base recipe and maybe try it with different hops to compare and contrast. 

I found another one that seems similar and got very good ratings.  This is classified as an American Pale Ale.

1. 90.7%  2-row
  2. 7.7%   Crystal 80l
  3. 1.6%  Cara-Pils
uses Cascade and Galaxy hops

this one calls for 2 stage fermentation.   4 days 65f(basement)  10 days 70f(heated living space)  then age 10 days 38f (spare refrigerator in basement)

Any thoughts on this?  Again seems very simple and not many flavor profiles. 

Not much. Just a bottling bucket. Resisting the upgrade to 5 gallon equipment. I think if/when I brew something that I really like that will lead me to larger batch sizes. The thought of having 5 gallons of something I do not want to drink is what is keeping my batch size smaller. It was not easy resisting the sales... Free wort chillers, free this, half price that....I am a sucker for a sale.

The stout and summer wheat still need another week of conditioning in their bottles before I try one. Still have the BBS Maple Porter to brew. I hope to do that in the next few weeks. I will then brew my first non kit beer in early january.

Back