Beer Here

tctenten said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

Takng a break from cleaning up the basement. Cracked open a Summer Wheat. It is definitely better than my first attempt. Seems like it might be a tad bit over carbonated. Unless that is just how freshly bottled beer should be
Kits almost invariably finished high for some reason for me, only by a point or two according to yeast capability and style, and then kick off a bit more in the bottle.  The individual batches potential FG in the kits may vary too. Your ratio may be right for dextrose additions for bottling, just residual sugars being a pita.  Grain will be great as you can dial everything in better. 

image.jpeg

Pretty sure I have settled on this recipe for my first non-kit beer. Going to take up Ozzy on his Cascade hop offer. Any red flags or comments on the recipe? Pulled it off of Beersmith and scaled it down to 2.5 gallons.

Pretty sure I've used that yeast. I'll check my recipies.

Make sure that the 6row is modified or you will have to step mash it to get the right enzymes out.

Also change the hops to whole leaf, so you know exactly how much hops. It will probably take more to get the IBUs.

I can't tell you anything about that yeast. That was the batch that went sour.

The recipe does not call for a step mash and it seems like I should use about 10% more leaf hops vs pellet hops....as per google.   I am pretty sure the LHBS will have all the grains as they seem pretty basic.  This batch will be a test for size more than anything else.  I want to keep it on the stove top and see how it turns out.  

I would drop the crystal down a little for a lager and up the 2 row. I usually use some Pils malt in my lagers, they need to be crisp and clean. Rice hulls aren't usually necessary on such a small batch and grain bill, I confess I have never used them. California lager is a great yeast. I hope you have temp control down pat, lagers take time and particular temps.

Sure you don't want to do an easy ale for your first?

tctenten said:
The recipe does not call for a step mash and it seems like I should use about 10% more leaf hops vs pellet hops....as per google.   I am pretty sure the LHBS will have all the grains as they seem pretty basic.  This batch will be a test for size more than anything else.  I want to keep it on the stove top and see how it turns out.  

The recipe doesn't really have to call for it ...

Mash for gravity driven by your refractometer readings ...

I've had to cycle back and forth between 145F and 155F before ...

image.png

This is the fermentation schedule as per the recipe. The temps are pretty easy for me to achieve. Why the 3 step fermentation....is that to cut down on the trub?
Bumper said:
I would drop the crystal down a little for a lager and up the 2 row. I usually use some Pils malt in my lagers, they need to be crisp and clean. Rice hulls aren't usually necessary on such a small batch and grain bill, I confess I have never used them. California lager is a great yeast. I hope you have temp control down pat, lagers take time and particular temps.
Sure you don't want to do an easy ale for your first?
Love to see the recipe. Especially if you recommend it.

Ok.

Sorry misread your first post, saw rice hulls not flaked rice. Hooray for coffee and glasses.  

Here's a recipe for premium american lager from brewing classic styles - main differences are no crystal, and low profile hops.  Cascade are going to dominate this one.  

OG 1.053
FG. 1.010
IBU 20
Color 3 SRM
Alcohol 5.7% ABV

American lager yeast (californian is fine)

11.6lb american two row or six row. 
1 lb flaked rice 
1.25 oz hallertau hops (4.% AA) at 60 minutes.  

Mash at 149F for a good 90 minutes (flaked rice takes longer than malt) 
Boil for 90 minutes to reduce DMS
Ferment at 50F and lager for 4 weeks before bottling

So hops and crystal are a potential issue with your recipe, plus your process needs to ensure it squeezes what it can out of the rice.    

Lagers in truth are a pita to get right, the chances of getting DMS are high, you have to do a temp rise when you are 2 points of final gravity to help the yeast consume all that buttery badness they have created. The damn DMS will still pop up at times when you think you have nailed it.  

I have a great cascade smash recipe for those with excess cascade...

Bumper said:
Ok.

Sorry misread your first post, saw rice hulls not flaked rice. Hooray for coffee and glasses.  

Here's a recipe for premium american lager from brewing classic styles - main differences are no crystal, and low profile hops.  Cascade are going to dominate this one.  

OG 1.053
FG. 1.010
IBU 20
Color 3 SRM
Alcohol 5.7% ABV

1 lb flaked rice 

So hops and crystal are a potential issue with your recipe, plus your process needs to ensure it squeezes what it can out of the rice.    

Lagers in truth are a pita to get right, the chances of getting DMS are high, you have to do a temp rise when you are 2 points of final gravity to help the yeast consume all that buttery badness they have created. The damn DMS will still pop up at times when you think you have nailed it.  

Very similar to recipe I posted above...with the exception of the fermentation temps.  I am not sure I can do 50f...unless my spare fridge can get that high.   I picked that recipe out because I felt I could handle all the steps, temps...etc.  Maybe it is not really a "true lager" but I imagine will be beer?

The fermentation schedule is all kinds of fucked up on your recipe and not clear enough on Jamil's.  Sorry.  

Ferment for 10 days at 50F probably 6 days given the smaller batch.
Rise to 90F and hold for 4 days
Bring it down 10F a day until 15 F or thereabouts 
Hold for at least 2 weeks at this temp.  

Bottle.  

Now bottling is going to require a calculator, as you are going to need to repitch a very small amount of yeast to get carbonation. Which is why I didn't try a lager until I had kegs.  

Hope this helps

tctenten said:

Very similar to recipe I posted above...with the exception of the fermentation temps.  I am not sure I can do 50f...unless my spare fridge can get that high.   I picked that recipe out because I felt I could handle all the steps, temps...etc.  Maybe it is not really a "true lager" but I imagine will be beer?

Step 0: Do you like lagers?

Bumper said:
Ok.

OG 1.053
FG. 1.010
IBU 20
Color 3 SRM
Alcohol 5.7% ABV

1 lb flaked rice 

Is the cascade recipe a lager? I don't have the equipment for that. But if it's an ale you can put it in my thread so as not to clog up TC's if he doesn't want it. I made an APA recipe on Beersmith last night using the Cascade.

tctenten said:

It will be beer.  It will most likely have strong buttery mouthfeel and flavour, and at higher temps you will get some different esters that will give off more fruit.  

Heck if it is crap, you learned a lot, tip it and go again.  With those temps you could get an american kolsch which could be really interesting.  

Bumper said:
The fermentation schedule is all kinds of f**ked up on your recipe and not clear enough on Jamil's.  Sorry.  

Ferment for 10 days at 50F probably 6 days given the smaller batch.
Rise to 90F and hold for 4 days
Bring it down 10F a day until 15 F or thereabouts 
Hold for at least 2 weeks at this temp.  

Bottle.  

Now bottling is going to require a calculator, as you are going to need to repitch a very small amount of yeast to get carbonation. Which is why I didn't try a lager until I had kegs.  

Hope this helps

It does.  I need to find another recipe. 

grantmichaels said:

Step 0: Do you like lagers?

I like all beers....really I do.  If this recipe had been labeled an IPA...I would have tried it.  I wasn't really after a specific type of beer. 

Ozzy2001 said:
Is the cascade recipe a lager? I don't have the equipment for that. But if it's an ale you can put it in my thread so as not to clog up TC's if he doesn't want it. I made an APA recipe on Beersmith last night using the Cascade.

Clog away.

So does anyone have a recipe that they recommend, that is not too complicated?  The only thing I ask is that it is not too hoppy/bitter.  

tctenten said:

I like all beers....really I do.  If this recipe had been labeled an IPA...I would have tried it.  I wasn't really after a specific type of beer.

Interesting - I didn't get that impression ...

The timeline for lagering in general is probably a good enough reason not to do it at all ...

You are looking at a best-case of months until you'll drink it, I think ...

Back