Beer Here

ok, cool ... so what happened? ... you found out in the middle somewhere that you had too much total water for the recipe, from migrating something from Bumpers to the kit? ... basically? ...

tctenten said:
I had 68% efficiency according to all the numbers matching up.

I feel like that's def in the ballpark for the technique (BIAB/sparge), and that it's consistent w/ the kind of numbers I see ...

grantmichaels said:
ok, cool ... so what happened? ... you found out in the middle somewhere that you had too much total water for the recipe, from migrating something from Bumpers to the kit? ... basically? ...
image.png

image.png

That is from my LHBS website and somewhat consistent with other stuff I have read.

Worked fine for BUmpers recipe, but It seemed like way too much water to me. I did not even use all the sparge water.

6lbs grains x .375 = 2.25 gallons to mash
2.25 gallons x 1.5 = 3.375 gallons to sparge

Any thoughts?

tctenten said:
attachicon.gif
image.png

attachicon.gif
image.png

That is from my LHBS website and somewhat consistent with other stuff I have read.

Worked fine for BUmpers recipe, but It seemed like way too much water to me. I did not even use all the sparge water.

6lbs grains x .375 = 2.25 gallons to mash
2.25 gallons x 1.5 = 3.375 gallons to sparge

Any thoughts?

http://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/ImperialG

http://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/

... or ...

http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/

That's like NEVER the answer, unless the question is How Can I Boil-Over to End My Partnership?

WTF?!??!

:drunk:

Apparently every batch is max kettle volume for a prophessional ;)

Mark the highest height your kettle full of wort can get before you boil over.

Remember a good 6 to 8 percent of boil off if you do it right.

Fill to that point. I'd rather get another 4 or 5 pints of beer

wheebz said:

figure out how many gallons it actually is and scale it to that volume

maximize the equipment you have, thats the goal of every brewery ever

i kind of agree with you ... and i don't want to be difficult over something that doesn't really matter to me (but i can't help myself, so brace yourself, lol) ...

certainly if you are bottling, that makes sense ...why not, right? ... even if it makes the recipes a little harder to reason about or trade ... but that works because bottles are a small package-size increment relative to the batch-size ...

if you don't have multiples of your packaging-volume in your fermenter-volume though, I think it makes less sense ...

if you are going into a 2.5 gallon keg and only have a slot for it, having much more than 3 gallons of wort isn't going to help, until you get to enough to fill another vessel ... and even then you'd have to get into splitting your yeast, or pitch some dry in there for a side-project ...

i think what you are describing comes into play at like 10 gallons and up, or something ... where you could put 4 gallons each in two 5 gallon corny's, and then pull out a 3 gallon corny to have the extra 1.5-2 gallons of wort ...

but when you are down at a couple of gallons, you run out of divisions of fermenter ... unless you want to grab a gallon jug and put the extra wort in there and pitch some yeast on it to just make something ...

and I mean, I'm kind of getting there,  but like ... i'm just barely arriving there, now ...

i do get maximizing your yield and brew day, but i think you have to be able to brew on the fly, or plan really well to capitalize on it or something too ...

it's interesting to me because it's the stage i'm at moving onto the bigger kettle/mash tun ... which are 82 qt/100 qt respectively ...

i will try to get close to max base wort out of it, divide it up and make all the beers I can from a single brew day, certainly ...

i was assuming everything was going in to a 5 gallon corny

if you have a 5 gallon corny, would you rather have 2.5 gallons or 3 gallons, or 3.5 gallons?

maximize your equipment

if he is putting it in a 5 gallon corny, why wouldnt he try to get as much in there as he could

wheebz said:

if you have a 5 gallon corny, would you rather have 2.5 gallons or 3 gallons, or 3.5 gallons?

maximize your equipment

if he is putting it in a 5 gallon corny, why wouldnt he try to get as much in there as he could

i believe he's setting up around 2.5 gallon kegs ...

If i had enough wort after filling up the 3 gallon I was going to use one of the mini bubblers. I only had about a quart leftover, so I did not bother.

I think ultimately I need to learn my equipment better and then maximize it.
wheebz said:

maximize your equipment

So far I have 4 x 1 gallon bubblers and a 3 gallon carboy. The biggest brew pot I have is 5 gallons at the moment.

tctenten said:
Came pretty good, I had it at about 60% hydration and the crumb was a little tight. Herm performed like a champ. No added yeast, just Herm doing the work.
You using regular whole wheat? If so I find using the sprouted whole wheat a little lighter. That what I used for those BB's. Glad to hear Big H worked well for you. Loaf looks great.,Cheers

FreeportBum said:
You using regular whole wheat? If so I find using the sprouted whole wheat a little lighter. That what I used for those BB's. Glad to hear Big H worked well for you. Loaf looks great.,Cheers
Yes. I split the flour 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 bread flour.

tctenten said:
Bumper's Ipa

attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

I like this...a lot.

Did you somewhat reservedly have your 1st excited homebrew moment right here? ...

The moment where you're like "damn, I'll make some really good beer" ...

There's many more of those moments to have, but the 1st one is the most important I think ...

It's like WD-40 for the murse ...

Back