Beer Here

grantmichaels said:
Did you somewhat reservedly have your 1st excited homebrew moment right here? ...

The moment where you're like "damn, I'll make some really good beer" ...

There's many more of those moments to have, but the 1st one is the most important I think ...

It's like WD-40 for the murse ...
Yes. It was just different than brewing a kit. I was very happy with it and look forward to next weekend when I have some more.

tctenten said:
Yes. It was just different than brewing a kit. I was very happy with it and look forward to next weekend when I have some more.

Yeah. I had that when I brewed Wheebz' simple saison (coming from kits) and did everything to it in terms of crashing and fining etc ...

It's crystal clear and the flavors come through bright and clear ...

I bought the little set of BBS's for when I get a little window to brew, but didn't necessarily want to spend time on a recipe and/or starter etc etc ...

That said, I may very well augment the kit at brew time, and/or substitute in US-05/S-04 as I see fit in terms of using their dry yeast vs one's I know and like ...

image.jpeg

The first piece of the next puzzle arrived today. Where do you guys get 'em filled? I am not finding many options so far.

tctenten said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

The first piece of the next puzzle arrived today. Where do you guys get 'em filled? I am not finding many options so far.

You'll have a gas place, everywhere has a gas place, and it's usually close to the industrial lots (warehouse) ...

Search for who does oxygen and nitrogen, and it'll likely be the same place ...

There's usually a place that services the kegs and lines etc for local restaurants and bars, because it's all the same shit, just differences in scale ...

tctenten said:
I found a fire and marine safety place but it is about 20 mins away and the most important thing is the hours. No nights, no weekend = no bueno.

1) Now you know why I have 3x tanks, and will buy a 4th next time ...
2) Danielle wants to go on a mission to the industrial park!

I have an airsoft rifle place right down the road next to brew shop. Or look for a welding place close too. Or call your brew shop and ask them. They'll probably know.

Ozzy2001 said:
I have an airsoft rifle place right down the road next to brew shop. Or look for a welding place close too. Or call your brew shop and ask them. They'll probably know.

Just found a welding place that is open on saturday.  It is about 20 minutes away...close enough for me.  Is there only one type of Co2?  I saw a few references when I was looking about food grade gasses, not sure if this is applicable to Co2.  

Plan is to get my tank filled this saturday and have the rest of the stuff ready to keg the following saturday.  I will keg 2 gallons and bottle 1 gallon.  

This weekend I am going to bottle the Maple Porter kit from BBS and my mead.  

tctenten said:
Plan is to get my tank filled this saturday and have the rest of the stuff ready to keg the following saturday.  I will keg 2 gallons and bottle 1 gallon.  

This weekend I am going to bottle the Maple Porter kit from BBS and my mead.  

That BBS MP was a really enjoyable beer ...

The keg and the hoses showed up today. Do they hoses need to be sanitized before use or just cleaned?

I have never used a keg before, can I just fill with sanitizer then hook up co2 and actually dispense the sanitizer through the picnic tap to sanitize everything?

seems overkill ../
i put 1.25 gallons hot water in, then the starsan, close up, shake etc ...
i open the picnic end by flipping the thingy to stuck open, then depress the little pin in the connection end while flushing it ...

i don't go too crazy, but i periodically pbw and starsan them using a little pond pump ... once, so far ;)

Ok. I opened it quickly and left as we had a dinner reservation. Pretty excited to use it next weekend. I am sure I will have some more stupid questions along the way.

Back