• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! African Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there Hab family, me no see entry....

How's about you S@*t or get off the pot....

Like I said phone internet and trying to get photos posted is being a pain in the ass.... been trying since 11 last night and get almost done posting pics and doing write up then suddenly its blank and gone has happened a million times.

(Getting pissed at internet)

Teaser

IMG_4498.jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

SoFlo gettin' our magic on.

Simultaneous African Throwdowning!!!

Gettin' My Bunny Chow On!!!!!!! Can't believe someone hasn't already done this!
(The bunny in the picture is a real slut, and she HAS seen Bear naked, but who hasn't!)

IMGP2427.jpg

damn it
More editing

Habaneroheats African Chicken Wings & Braised Beef Curry

AFRICAN CHICKEN WINGS
chicken wings
4 garlic cloves minced
2 shallots minced
sea salt
West African seasonings
paprika
dried rosemary
Aji habanero powder
Aji blanco christal (powder)
vegetable oil
smooth peanut butter
hot water

For the Dipping Sauce:
peanut butter
coconut cream
garlic cloves, chopped
bell pepper, finely chopped
dried hot chilli flakes
soy sauce

Combine the peanut butter and water until smooth then whisk in the vegetable oil. Add all the remaining ingredients (except the chicken) and whisk until smooth. Add the chicken wings to a large bowl and pour the sauce over the top. Toss to combine, ensuring the wings are completely coated then cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to marinate.

After this time arrange wings on a foil-lined wire rack set in a roasting tin. Pre-heat to 400 degrees and bake for about 25 minutes. If there is any marinade left over use to brush the wings half way through.
In the meantime, combine all the ingredients for the dipping sauce in a blender and cream it up. Place the dipping sauce in a bowl. Serve hot.

BRAISED BEEF CURRY
Olive oil
Beef ribs
Chopped onions
Minced garlic
Crushed tomatoes
Curry powder
Tumeric
Yellow 7 powder
Chocolate bhut powder
Coconut milk
Cornstarch
Rice

Heat olive oil in a skillet. Sear ribs, until browned. Remove to a platter; cover with foil. Add oil to skillet and stir in onion and garlic, saute til onion is lightly browned. Mix tomatoes, curry powder, turmeric, chile powder, and salt into skillet and simmer about 5 minutes. Mix coconut milk and cornstarch until smooth. Stir into skillet and bring to a boil, stirring until thickened. Add beef and its juices, then cook 15 minutes, or until tender. Serve over hot, cooked rice sprinkled with coconut and toasted cashews.

IMG038.jpg

IMG043.jpg

Reactions: Ela
For a sec there, FD, I thought that was an EasyBake oven.... LOL

Edit: I see HH just got things uploaded. Looks tasty!

In case anybody cares it took 15 hours to upload thiose. We decided the "how to" was not going to get posted. To many problems. We'll be getting a computer shortly :)

Mmmmm wings with a peanut sauce and braised beef curry that sounds delish. Where in Africa did you get this idea from? Thanks

Thanks boss, the curry was a Nigerian recipe I saw. I saw braised ribs and thought "WIN". When I saw the other posts for curry I decided to throw in the wings as well. They're a West African fusion recipe. They call for congos but didnt have any so substituted for a different pepper blend I had in stock.

Thanks MG, though everyone here has put up some serious eats, I ate mine and it was DELISH. :)

I really diggin' on those flavors. Cool.

I have a couple confessions....... :crazy: I know but the wings were to spicy for me but confession number two I have never had curry I liked but I actually really liked this one.
I am glad that habaneroheat got in on this...

I really diggin' on those flavors. Cool.

WOW! THANKS BOSS! Not to kiss ass,, but you seem to know a lot about food. So getting your thumbs up is awesome! Thanks

I have a couple confessions....... :crazy: I know but the wings were to spicy for me but confession number two I have never had curry I liked but I actually really liked this one.
I am glad that habaneroheat got in on this...

she ate the curry fine, but thats because I tamed it down for her. I added Pure Evil to mine, extra heat with no added flavor :)

Wait should I have put that in my final post?

HHfamily got the post done! Yay!

Aaron or Megan, can you email pictures easily? Email the prep pictures to me and I'll post them for you, you can copy the post and add text. Since it's only the prep pics, I think that would be allowed. ????

PM me if you want the email addy-

btw, I'm gonna try the wings recipe with chicken tenders.

Frydad's Bunny Chow, the Racist Version

Look up Bunny Chow. You'll want to make it too. Even though it's slightly racist.
You have to have an open mind. I do.

I made a loaf of Sourdough bread in the bread machine using a starter given to me by RocketMan.
Made beef curry with the following:
Beef (duh), carrots, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, onions, fresnos, curry powder, salt, pepper, awesomeness.
Threw all the players in the pressure cooker and drank a bunch of beer with Sum.

Cut off a chunk of the bread, hollered it out, and filled it with the curry.
I went outside and tried to serve it to some of the South Africans who were suffering from homesickness, but there weren't any tonight.
That's where the dish comes from, after all.

Enjoyed it. Glad I got to explore African cooking.
Next month we should do wonderbread and twinkies.

IMGP2433.jpg

Sliced some 3-D onions from some seeds I got from Pixar.
IMGP2432.jpg

That shit looks amazing FD4! I just looked up Bunny Chow, and your spot on, except the fact that I want yours moar....

and style points for using the pressure cooker. Thats some Iron Chef skillz....

everything looks like great food! it all looks like what the 10% of the rich in africa can afford to cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back