• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! African Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
This throwdown is turning out to be just what I hoped. A great chance to learn about and experience the cultures and cuisine of Africa. Something MOST of us have never tried. I have decided to do a kind of culinary tour of Africa with a handful of different dishes from all over Africa making up one meal. I am heading to the store for a few last minute ingredients. Some things are already marinating. It looks like I will be cooking this afternoon/evening.

LunchBox's Moroccan Mo-Betta BBQ

I've been researching this for a couple of weeks, and found a number of recipes from which I pulled elements to create what I felt would be a relatively authentic Moroccan meal (though never having been there), with a personal twist. Whether I get a single vote of not, I've already won. I learned a lot about a region I've barely heard of...new cooking methods...and created a meal that is unlike anything else I've ever eaten. I can imagine myself visiting there someday, and upon eating the local fare, remembering home, in a foreign land. This project came out better than I could have ever hoped.

Pork Ribs:

The rib rub was started by toasting whole spices including black peppercorn, coriander, cumin seeds, and cloves for about 3-4 minutes until openly fragrant.

Those were tossed into the coffee grinder, where I added granulated garlic, granulated onion, cayenne, tumeric, cinnamon, and Hungarian paprika. Congo Black powder was added to bump the heat.

Press the magic button for 30 seconds...

Then, add regualr sea salt, ghost pepper sea salt, and turbinado sugar.

Give it a quick 3 second spin...

And the rub is ready. Slather it all over the ribs, rubbing it in gooooood...

In the smoker. For this, I tried to think of a way to get some of the real wood campfire flavor...and since I'm out of wood for the smoker, I opted for regular charcoal, with mesquite chunk charcoal added throughout the cooking process. I imagine they have something similar to mesquite...an aromatic shrubby tree that adds flavor to meat.

The BBQ sauce:

I found a recipe that I used as a rough sketch, and filled in my own details. The rub for the ribs was excellent...but this sauce is the true star of the show. It's so good, I may look into marketing it.

I started by toasting whole spices including black peppercorn, coriander, cumin seeds, cloves (a lot more than for the rub) and added fennel seeds, African Bird's Eye chiles (dried/flaked), and a pinch of caraway seeds for about 3-4 minutes until openly fragrant. Stuck them in the grinder, and gave it a spin.

I busted out the cast iron, coated the bottom with extra virgin olive oil, and tossed in a fair amount of garlic, whole but "squished", and a mix of red and yellow onion. I sautee'd them until they began to carmelize.

I then added a can of whole, peeled tomatoes...scooping out just the tomatoes at first...sautee them with the garlic and onions for about 10 minutes until they soften, then pour the rest of the juice out of the can.

After that simmers down for another 10 minutes or so...I added some Texas Creek Ghost Fire sauce, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, a 50/50 mix of chicken/beef broth, molasses, and turbinado sugar.

Then, over the next hour...smash it up every 15 minutes or so. I found the best strategy was to aim for any visible garlic, as to leave a robust texture, which I envisioned (right or wrong) to be more culturally accurate. Over the hour and a half total cooking time, the sauce reduces to a "beef stew" consistency. Finish it with a few squeezes of lime...and the flavor is out of this world.

The Sides:

Vegetarian Carrot and Chickpea Tagine -
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4-6 cloves garlic, run through the chop-o-matic
  • cilantro
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • Sea salt, ginger, tumeric, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, turbinado sugar
  • 4 or 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4" thick sticks
  • 1 cup water (half vegetable or chicken broth)
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained
In the base of a tagine (in this case, I substituted cast iron with lid), saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil over low heat for several minutes. As soon as the garlic starts to change colors, and the onion becomes translucent, add the chickpeas (garbonzo beans). Add the spices, cilantro, the carrots and the broth. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the carrots are cooked to firm but tender...not mushy.

Vegetarian Stewed Lentils -
  • 2 cups lentils
  • 2-3 tomatoes chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 4-6 cloves garlic, run through the chop-o-matic
  • cilantro
  • cumin seed (whole), Hungarian paprika, ginger, black pepper, sea salt
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 cups chicken and beef broth mix
Heat olive oil in a skillet, add garlic, onion, and raw lentils. Sautee until it all starts to brown. Add tomatoes, and cilantro, and sitr it up for another 2 miutes. Add broth mix, and bring to a simmer. Add spices, and simmer (covered) for 30 minutes or so, until lentils are cooked but firm.

Serve the BBQ sauce over the top, or on the side...both...doesn't matter. You'll want to bathe in it.

marchtdplate1-1.jpg

marchtdplate2-1.jpg
Do they eat pork there mate?

LB I think your ribs look great. I don't get too wrapped up in trimming and such either. I mean yeah, they look prettier, but I am much more interested in cramming them in my face.

Yes...some do. There is a strong Muslim presence there, but my goal was to step a bit outside the societal (or more correctly, "dogmatic") aspects of Moroccan cooking, and get back to a more rustic offering...while trying to avoid the "bush-food in mud huts" stereotype.

The only way I am entering this TD is if tonight when I get back from Brewers Ball in Tampa I somehow make it to the grocery store and whip something up

apparently Kenya is well known for its oysters, and I have been in an oyster mood lately

The only way I am entering this TD is if tonight when I get back from Brewers Ball in Tampa I somehow make it to the grocery store and whip something up

apparently Kenya is well known for its oysters, and I have been in an oyster mood lately
Go for it mate

Yes...some do. There is a strong Muslim presence there, but my goal was to step a bit outside the societal (or more correctly, "dogmatic") aspects of Moroccan cooking, and get back to a more rustic offering...while trying to avoid the "bush-food in mud huts" stereotype.
My bad! Yeah- been sensitive recently- sorry to all here about it- like the vibe and humour here.

Wow, look who came to the party. BOOTISE!!!!

LOL. Everything is looking great, and come on Hab family...."my phone wasn't working" is a great excuse for me to take that crown....

Not really, but I saw his dish as fusion anyway. It's ribs on a smoker. Moroccan-spiced ribs is how I saw it, with some MO sides.

I'd like to see some more entries myself.

MG, I got ingredients to try your entry tomorrow. ;) I think that LB's is going to be the next one.I love that this TD got my cooking wheels going. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back