• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! African Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boooo skirt meat left on ribs and not trimmed.... lol. Sorry, I like a St. Loius spare.

Nice job with the spices.

LOL.

I'm in a strange mood tonight. I am a very competitive person, and LUST after my first TD crown.

But...after the last couple of weeks have now come to fruition...I really don't care this month...I've already won. This experience has armed me with knowledge...appreciation...experience...it's really hard to describe. I feel like I just unearthed cold fusion or something.

And to think...I was bitching about this being African...even if I wasn't the most vocal about it...

We have all eaten at a place with a Latino/Asian/Mediterranean/Middle Eastern (etc) influence or theme...and we all know someone that can personally identify with that culture through family ties. It's like we at least have some window into that world. Africa was an unopened box...and even though I have never been there, I feel like I've at least started to sow the seeds of a new understanding.
you may get it- good effort man

I'm liking MOrocco ribs,

Sorry, Boss, I disagree. This isn't a USA-style bbq competition. I doubt there's any wasting/TRIMMING of meat in Africa.

I'm liking MOrocco ribs,

Sorry, Boss, I disagree. This isn't a USA-style bbq competition. I doubt there's any wasting/TRIMMING of meat in Africa.

He knows I was just giving him a hard time SL! Of course he can cook a Flintstone style rib, it's his TD.

We all know he deserves a crown by now.

But no waste involved in trimming ribs to shape, you cook up the skirt meat too.

I was going for Morocco...not Missouri...different "MO" ;)

That was actually a good comeback!

mozambique-flag.gif
6805464142_b64e21f032_b.jpg
Teaser
Mozembique e mennigue nice

Mozambiqe Piri- Piri
about-mozambique_about-mozambique_top_289_1.jpg

6805307158_bd0261179a_b.jpg

Go Bootsie go!

Make sure to read the rules about your final post, and create a new one with those details and restrictions,.

Yes 2 pics max, no links to other pics either, in your final post. Just two pics. I've removed some links.

Modern 5 minute Piri Piri
Country - Mozambique

Main ingredients by section

Frying Pan
1/2 pound of frozen shrimp​
Ginger- a pinch​
Garlic- a pinch​
Pomegranate juice for sauce instead of lemon too sour- a few fluid ounces- see photo​
Olive oil for frying​
Peanuts- half a handful​
Raisons- half a handful​
Coconut – a spoon of desiccated to put over shrimp​
A pinch of mixed chilli- curry powder​

Sauce and Powder base
Fatallli rust- Dilly’s Chilies- a pinch​
Jungle Rain- White lightening- a dollop or 2​
THSC- Yellow pod Jam- a dollop or 2​
My Korean salt mix- a pinch​
Pepperlover’s Ghostbreath- a pinch​

Basically to taste and preference​

Shrimp Bed
Garlic Shoots- 3 sprigs to use around Map- cut into 8 cm lengths​
Spinach leaves- a couple of leaves for shrimp bed- a handful blanched for 10-20 secs in hot water.​
Coriander fresh- a quarter bushel- chopped for base​
Need to microwaved for a minute so not overcook​

Method
Map- Sprinkle the powder into a map​
Add some dollops of sauce and jam in order to make a clear map around powders​
Use the garlic stems to make an outline. 10 secs- should take a minute- with 50 secs microwaving to warm up sauce.​

Bed- Lay down spinach and coriander next to Map- 10 secs- total with above 1m​

Pan Shrimp- add olive oil, then get pan to high heat- add shrimp , ginger, garlic, coconut, pomegranate juice, peanuts and then raisons.Add pinch a curry powder mix and you could add a little Salsalady to give heat without affecting flavour.​
Fry hard for three minutes, take out shrimp. Cook down to reduce sauce, and then add shrimps back. Place on Map. 2, 45mins and assembly 15 secs​

Total assembly time = 5mins- description- imagine fish, shellfish and shrimp swimming in the water off the coast, whilst all the colours of the flag and the dessert inside the borders. (nonsense)

6951426381_88e8f8e7a6_b.jpg
6805308378_287818959c_b.jpg
Final assembly- add olive oil and left over sauce from pan to cover shrimp.- 5mins- should- my presentation had to be quick and sadly untidy due to hungry wife and daughter- not game to mess with 'em.​

Since our only internet is our phones we are having technical difficulties.... our photobucket took about 4hrs to upload photos and now Aaron's try for the second time to type out ingredients/process because our browser keeps shutting down.......

We're getting there......

Moral of the story...............smartphone not so damn smart!!!!

Way to raise the bar LB!

There ya go, Bootsieb! Seriously, the TD's are like a drug - resistance is futile!

HH - I'd recommend what I do for the TD's, which is to type it into Notepad or TextEdit (or whatever plain text editor you have), then just copy and paste into the browser window when the time comes. I find that's particularly useful especially when I'm still trying to come up with what should be included even as I cook the entry.... ;o)

Really, wheebz?
fabdd443.jpg

ok you win

and I didnt mean the entries were ugly nor was there a lack of effort in presentation or creativeness, but i just dont find most african food I have come across visually appealing

Those pancake looking things do look pretty scrumptious though

and I didnt mean the entries were ugly nor was there a lack of effort in presentation or creativeness, but i just dont find most african food I have come across visually appealing
Those pancake looking things do look pretty scrumptious though
Keep in mind that Africa is HUGE continent, and covers many, many different types of cuisines. The likelihood that you've come across all of them here is slim to none. I took a cooking class from a Mexican chef years ago, and he got to talking about the common American misconception of "Mexican food" - tamales, enchiladas, burritos, tacos. He described those as the McDonalds of Mexico - sure, some Mexicans eat that kind of food, but not all of them do. In fact, a number of them have never had any of those things, just like a number of Americans have never had McDonalds. No doubt "African" food has the same misconceptions here - it's not all bush food of one variety, and it's not all visually unappealing.

I'm telling you lads, you couldn't even see Africa before you died. Each and every country is so cool and unique. The food, amazing, I would eat it everyday, if I wasn't so lazy. Cheers lads for bringing on the love and giving it your best shots.Wheebz, any chance of a last chance meat entry? Maybe from South Africa, perhaps??? Lot's of steak, gold and beer there. Pies are a dime a dozen, but made with fillet. King Pie is great and so is the steak, hint, hint. Steak and ramen pie??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back