• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! African Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS - No, he didn't eat my crown-winning entry either - more for me!

I would eat your perky crown any day. Wait, that didn't sound right... What I meant to say is I'm always up for a good meal. Shit, that sounded kinda unright too. Let me try again.

You cook good, me eat with hammer.

Oh, and the same goes for you Ann of the awesome sauce. Food, hammer, me there. Me beg for big seconds. And thirds.

OK then. I think I might need some coffee.

mj, looks good! That chicken is cubed?

SL, post your PoL and enter that sucker! You quit cuz the kid went to a dance?
whip.gif

Thanks bossman. The chicken on top were cutlets, the chicken in the curry was cubed, or rectangularized.

sorry "to throw in the towel" as they say. Two songs tell the short story, one by Daniel Power, the other by the Eagles on Hell Freezes over. I'm better now, Thanks CJ and Scovie. Love you guys~

BACK TO THE FUN!

MJ<>, that peanut chicken curry sounds really yummy. You brought in a lot of the flavors I saw when looking for recipes and ideas. I'd chow that down in a heartbeat! Well Done! :woot:

Thanks SL! Your meal looked really, really delicious, you shouldn't have given up on it just because the kid and the man didn't want any. My girlfriend has turned her nose up at some really good stuff I've made; I don't get offended because that just means all the more for me!
Wait, this whole thing was just a ploy to make two ridiculously good meals and really swing the vote wasn't it??? ;)

Making Supu YUa N Dizi (Curried Chicken and Banana Stew) from Tanzania.

Ingredients:
Chicken
Garlic
Onion
Celery
Curry Powder
Salt
Pepper
Pequin Chiles
Tomato
Coconut
Chicken Stock
Bananas
P1030777.jpg

Brown the chicken:
P1030779.jpg

Saute the vegetables:
P1030781.jpg

Add the spices and saute another minute:
P1030782.jpg

Add the tomatoes and chicken stock (bring to boil and simmer):
P1030784.jpg

Next up - adding the bananas.

Add the bananas and simmer (about 10 minutes):
P1030786.jpg

I already told Aaron to not even bother....

You might as well just put the kids to bed early and cuddle on the couch and watch a movie. I already got this shit on lock.

BTW, SL, a win isn't really a win without beating you...so POST THE FREAKING POL!

I already told Aaron to not even bother....

You might as well just put the kids to bed early and cuddle on the couch and watch a movie. I already got this shit on lock.

BTW, SL, a win isn't really a win without beating you...so POST THE FREAKING POL!

MG you have no idea..... we are going to unleash greatness beyond anything you have ever known....
You will be crying by the end of this weekend begging to be forgiven by Habanero family awesomeness!!!!!

Good luck but you might as well just watch us put the smack down on this throw down.....

Listen, cuz I am not gonna repeat it. The Gods have kept my son in my wife's nether-region past his freedom date so I can win this shit.

Sorry my friends but they have spoken.

Thank you buddy and best of luck to you too!!!

MG.... I AM NOT GOING TO BEAT A DEAD HORSE BUT.......... THE GODS OF THE HABANERO HOUSEHOLD ARE SAYING YOU'RE GOING DOWN!!!

You better just sit back rub your wife's feet and watch........ you would be better off.

Buddy's Tanzanian Treat (Supu Ya N Dizi)

Ingredients:

2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1 cup celery (chopped)
1 red bell pepper (chopped)
1.5 tablespoons hot curry powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon crushed Piquin chile
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 quart chicken stock
1 slightly under-ripe banana

1. Brown chicken in heavy pot. Drain
2. Saute garlic, onion, celery, and red pepper (1 minute)
3. Add curry powder, salt, black pepper, and chile - saute 1 minute.
4. Add chicken to veggies. Add tomato, coconut, and chicken stock. Bring to boil, cover, and simmer 40 minutes.\
5. Add sliced banana - simmer 10 more minutes.

Makes 3 large servings.

Note: By mistake, I added almost 50% more chicken stock than I should have. Mine was more like a soup than a stew. Great flavor though.

P1030789.jpg

and this is why i dont do african food

you just cant make it look good regardless of what you do, even if it tastes phenomenal

Nice way to diss every entry there. They look damn good to me! So they don't to you. Fine.

The African debate is long over keep this positive.

The Gods have kept my son in my wife's nether-region past his freedom date so I can win this shit.

Lay some pipe tonight and we'll have the newest THP member tomorrow.

Buddy, that looks really good!
Interesting flavor combination! I bet it was awesome! How were the bananas?
I've had caribbean chicken soups before that had plantains in them, which aren't quite as sweet.
Nice entry!

SD, every time your egg-titties flash on your avatar an endorphin rush jolts through my nether-regions. No Homo. No Racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back