• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! African Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have to say so far so good....

Going to be a great night!!!!

THP Are you going to get in this one? I want to see you throw it down :)

You know how slow the postal service is, they probably hatched~

Either that or the police and animal control is on the way to arrest you for illegally purchasing and shipping deadly animals through the postal system...

There ;)

DSC02865.jpg

SL post your Pol or I may send my goats over to your back yard. :D

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Scovie

Here is little something for ya,before I post main dish :lol:

DSC02855.jpg

Some ingredients

DSC02835.jpg

Preparation

DSC02837.jpg

DSC02839.jpg

DSC02841.jpg

DSC02843.jpg

DSC02848.jpg

DSC02849.jpg

DSC02852.jpg

Ohhhhhhhh injera injera woot! I was hoping someone would do injera! yeah!!!

There,Boss, just for you ;)

Doro Wat

DSC02862.jpg

Doro Wat

(Ethiopian chicken in red pepper paste)
Doro Wat is traditionally very spicy, but you can adjust the amount of cayenne pepper to your liking. Also spelled doro wot or doro wet.
4 to 6 servings
Ingredients

· Chicken legs and thighs, skinless -- 2 pounds​
· Lemon, juice only -- 1​
· Salt -- 2 teaspoons​
· Onions, chopped -- 2​
· Garlic, crushed -- 3 cloves​
· Gingerroot, peeled and chopped -- 1 tablespoon​
· Oil, butter or niter kibbeh -- 1/4 cup​
· Paprika -- 2 tablespoons​
· Berbere paste-- 1/4 to 1/2 cup​
· Water or stock -- 3/4 cup​
· Red wine -- 1/4 cup​
· Cayenne pepper -- from 1 teaspoon​
· Salt and pepper -- to taste​
· Hard-boiled eggs (optional) -- 4​
Prep:

1. Mix together the chicken pieces, lemon juice and salt and in a large, non-reactive bowl and set aside to marinate for about 30 minutes.
2. While the chicken is marinating, puree the onions, garlic and ginger in a food processor or blender. Add a little water if necessary.
3. Heat the oil, butter or niter kibbeh in a large pot over medium flame. Add the paprika and stir in to color the oil and cook the spice through, about 1 minute. Do not burn. Stir in the berberé paste and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the onion-garlic-ginger puree and sauté until most of the moisture evaporates and the onion cooks down and loses its raw aroma, about 5 to 10 minutes. Do not allow the mixture to burn.
5. Pour in the water or stock and wine and stir in the chicken pieces, cayenne to taste, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add water as necessary to maintain a sauce-like consistency.
6. Add the whole hard boiled eggs and continue to cook for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and very tender.
7. Adjust seasoning and serve hot with injera bread or rice.

Niter Kibbeh

(Ethiopian spiced clarified butter)
Makes about 2 cups
Ingredients

· Unsalted butter -- 1 pound​
· Onion, chopped -- 1/2​
· Garlic, crushed -- 2-3 cloves​
· Gingerroot, cut into 1/4-inch slices -- 2-3 pieces​
· Cardamom pods --3-4​
· Cinnamon stick -- 1​
· Whole cloves -- 3-4​
· Fenugreek seeds -- 1 teaspoon​
· Turmeric -- 1/2 teaspoon​
Prep:

1. Place the butter in a small saucepan and melt over low heat. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer on the lowest possible heat for about 1 hour.
2. Pour the clear golden liquid off the top leaving all the solids in the bottom of the pan. Strain through cheesecloth if necessary. Discard solids.
3. Store in the refrigerator or freezer and use as needed.

Berberé

(Ethiopian red pepper spice paste)
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
Ingredients

· Whole cumin -- 2 teaspoons​
· Red pepper flakes -- 1-2 teaspoons​
· Cardamom seeds -- 1 teaspoon​
· Fenugreek seeds -- 1 teaspoon​
· Whole peppercorns -- 8​
· Allspice berries -- 6​
· Whole cloves -- 4​
· New Mexico dried chilies -- 3-4​
· Onion, chopped -- 1​
· Garlic, crushed -- 3 cloves​
· Paprika -- 1 tablespoon​
· Salt -- 1 tablespoon​
· Ginger, ground -- 1 teaspoon​
· Turmeric -- 1 teaspoon​
· Cayenne pepper -- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon​
· Nutmeg -- 1/2 teaspoon​
· Oil -- 1/2 cup​
· Water or red wine -- 1/4 cup​
Prep:

1. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium flame. Add the whole spices and toast, stirring for about 2-3 minutes until they give off their aroma. Do not burn. Remove from heat.
2. Over an open flame, lightly toast the New Mexico chilies, turning quickly from side to side until they soften and become flexible. Do not burn. Remove the stems and seeds and roughly chop.
3. Put the spices and dried peppers into a spice or coffee grinder and grind to a powder.
4. Put the ground toasted spices into a food processor or blender along with the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
5. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze portions for later use.

Quick Injera

(Ethiopian sourdough crepe)

6 to 8 crepes
Ingredients

· All-purpose flour -- 1 1/2 cups​
· Whole wheat flour -- 1/2 cup​
· Baking powder -- 1 tablespoon​
· Salt -- 1/2 teaspoon​
· Club soda -- 2 to 2 1/2 cups​
· Lemons, juice only -- 2 each​
Prep:

1. Preheat a large cast-iron skillet over a medium flame. Mix the flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Stir in the club soda and mix to a smooth batter. It should have the thin consistency of a pancake batter.
2. Wipe the skillet with a little oil using a paper towel. Ladle about 1/2 cup of the batter into the skillet and spread it with a spatula to make a large crepe. Let bake in the skillet until all the bubbles on top burst and begin to dry out, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Carefully turn the injera over and cook on second side another minute or two. Try not to brown it too much.
4. Remove the injera to a warm platter and repeat with the rest of the batter, wiping the skillet clean with an oiled paper towel each time.
5. After the batter is used up, brush each injera with the lemon juice. Serve immediately or hold covered in a warm oven.

Edit:Title

I think they all look good. The first dish could have used some bright red pepper flake maybe to brighten up the brown sauce and chicken. But I would still devour it. The meat on SL's looks like that of a Fried turkey leg....mmmmmmm. I love the bananas incorporated in the other one and the last one has something of a pancake in it...which is always yum. Good job guys and gals!

SCHWEEEET Ela! That was a lot of work, and it likely all paid off with flavor.

A request - would you please add a title to your post? This will be used for the voting, later.

How about...

Doro Wat-A-Meal!

Nice, authentic entry Ela!

Damn Ela, gonna be tough to top that! Looks amazing!
Thanks MG. I'm pretty sure that everybody else will have amazing entries. Good luck to all of you

I think they all look good. The first dish could have used some bright red pepper flake maybe to brighten up the brown sauce and chicken. But I would still devour it. The meat on SL's looks like that of a Fried turkey leg....mmmmmmm. I love the bananas incorporated in the other one and the last one has something of a pancake in it...which is always yum. Good job guys and gals!

Thanks a bunch
SCHWEEEET Ela! That was a lot of work, and it likely all paid off with flavor.

A request - would you please add a title to your post? This will be used for the voting, later.

I knew I would make some mistakes that would G be there to point them out. Thanks G
How about...

Doro Wat-A-Meal!

Nice, authentic entry Ela!

Thanks Boss. It was a project and came ot FANTASTIC. I LOVE IT!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back