• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Burger Royale Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoynersHotPeppers said:
I do as well, 103 fever and kid is down...... FTW
hope they feel better. I remember those days.. one time as a kid I think I had a 100 or 100+ fever.. the metric ton of ice in the bath water was lovely.

Ozzy's Country Bumkin Burger

Starting with the burger:
2lbs ground chuck
1lb ground round
1 egg
Salt
Pepper
Garlic poweder

Mixed all the ingredients thoroughly, formed the patties and put them into the fridge for about 1/2 hr while I got everything else ready.

I used apple wood smoked bacon, with a bunch of jalapeno powder sprinkled on it.  I then fried the country ham in the bacon fat and put both the bacon and ham into the warming drawer.

I mixed a maple mustard to put onto the burger made of 1/2 cup dijon mustard and 1/4 cup pure maple syrup.

Once that was all done I seared the burgers in the pan with the bacon grease, then put them out on the grill.  Once, they were close to being done I put the sharp cheddar cheese on the burgers, and buttered the buns and placed them on the grill as well.

After pulling everything off of the grill, I began to fry the egg, once again in the bacon fat.  While the egg was frying I started to plate the burger.

Bottom of the bun, country ham, with a spoonful of the maple mustard.  Then the burger, the jalapeno powdered bacon, some red jalapenos I had canned, and another spoonful of the maple mustard.  Finally, topped off with the over easy fried egg.

Delicious and incredibly juicy!  

hWhiskey Single

I have to put the better instance forward, even if it's a little bit less awesome.

Seasoning Mix:

SmokenFire's Dee Roo Hot Curry Blend
Doma Coffee Roasting Company's Whiskey Barrel Aged Coffee
Joyner's Hot Pepper Cappucino Ghost Powder
Season With Spice Urfa Chili Flakes
Trader Joe's Whimsical Cottage Hipster South African Cinnamon Sugar

Ingredients:

Rougie Duck Fat
Pat La Frieda Aged Beef (8 oz patties)
Wensleydale Creamery Shires of England Cheese
Texas Creek Spicy Worcestershire Sauce
Tuscan Olive Oil
Kewpie Mayonnaise
Publix Onion Rolls
Thinly Sliced Shallot
Hydro Bibb Lettuce
Beef Tomato
Chipotle Relish

Instructions:

1 hour, at 134F, in lightly-sucked vacuum pouch, in the sous vide to pasteurize the burgers. The rest (buns, cheese, and reverse-sear) I handcrafted with the Searzall. Note: this instance was revitalized in the sous vide, this afternoon, on the 2nd day.

SmokenFire's Dee Roo Hot Curry Blend played nicely with the nose from the whiskey barrel aged ground coffee beans, which added an earthy base and rounded out the middle of the flavor pyramid. The little bit of additional warming sensation coming from the cinnamon made for a very tasty, yet subtle flavor which didn't muck up the beautiful beef mixture courtesy of the folks over at Pat La Frieda.

Notes:

To avoid a sausage-like texture on the outside of the burgers, salt should be minimized until just before the reverse-searing after the sous vide cooking. For a juicier burger, 126F can be used for pasteurization, but I was not in the mood for a burger that would "challenge" the bun for a contest item. The only improvement I will make, is to use a carbon steel frying pan for the reverse-sear instead of the Searzall, to save time and increase the crust-factor.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender1.jpg

FullSizeRender2.jpg

FullSizeRender4.jpg

FullSizeRender3.jpg

PoL!

keybrdkid said:
hope they feel better. I remember those days.. one time as a kid I think I had a 100 or 100+ fever.. the metric ton of ice in the bath water was lovely.
Thanks, it is viral so nothing medicine can do but reduce and nice cool bathes. The wife and I are determines to eat these burgers especially since I made a spicy ranch hahahah - no golden hour photos but hopefully I can still get some burgers in

D3monic said:

Oh noes, wifey had a nasty fever this morning as well. hit the minute clinic and it was strep. 

ooh.. the dreaded "s" word...

me and strep have a history. it seems I will get strep and not the flu.
 I must be as immune as I can be to the flu, but lack the antibodies needed to strongly fight off strep.

I think Ive had strep 2-3 times or so.

Holy shit, if I'd have known MM was posting something that awesome I'd have held off ...

Dayum, MM ... you've got the hot hand this weekend, man.
Jesus, Ozzy too  ... posting w/ the 70's pr0n filter, LOL ...

Normally I don't advocate for AWB, but some AWB would have done that some good!!!

Musky that fish burger looked great.  Hard to say which of your entries I liked better.  GM the single looks just as good as the double, maybe yer over thinking it.  Ozzy that burger looks so good I'd brave the 6hr drive to Cardinals fan land for a couple.  Bumper I didn't know they had Costco in Australia, and I'm excited to see your version!

SmokenFire said:
Musky that fish burger looked great.  Hard to say which of your entries I liked better.  GM the single looks just as good as the double, maybe yer over thinking it.  Ozzy that burger looks so good I'd brave the 6hr drive to Cardinals fan land for a couple.  Bumper I didn't know they had Costco in Australia, and I'm excited to see your version!

Where the double was exciting, the single was pleasing ...

The ratios, the crunch of the lettuce and little bit of twang from the relish, all come together with the added function from being able to wield it w/ one hand, so as to enjoy some beer at once.

The morning burger was like an overclocked PC, whereas this evening's was an Apple =)

In the heat of things, I didn't realize the buns were bigger than the burgers until I was looking at the pictures from this morning. I pressed the burger a bit (which is why you can see the crack in the side), to have a better coverage than the 1st try ...

Also .... the best part of sous vide is jammin' on reprises, the beef was identical this evening!

Anyways ... I'm armed w/ a double latte and about to get my work on to make up for all the mucking around w/ the steampunk torch ...

D3monic said:
Does sliders have to be beef next weekend? Just scorec some wild boar at the grocery store
Nvm just went back and looked, boar it is, sorry was standing in frozen section

Circle-H (You want me to enter WHAT??? Burger)!!!

Here's the breakdown....

3 parts 80-20.....1 part ground pork sausage...

1/2 bottle of Kroger "burger seasoning"......why?....cause it's what I had and it smelled good.

1/4 bottle of Lucky Dog extra hot sauce......(yes.....it's THAT good!!!)

Mix....let meat sit for 6 beers.

Cut ends off the bolillo bread so they kind of look like hamburger buns...cut in half....and butter both halves.

Avocado....onion....lettuce....and the best mayonaise on planet earth....DUKES!!

Drink a few more Sunday beers.....char the mammal flesh to a nice med-rare.....and VIOLA!! (pronounced VI-OH-LAH!!):

Please excuse the pics....they were taken with a potato.... :cool:

So I think I am out, the buns recipe was for hamburger rolls, but they turned out in-between full hamburger size and slider size… . 

Bumper's Meat me Beet me Burger

Burger patties (per batch)
100% beef
2 tsp powdered peach 7 pot 
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp sumac powder
2 tbsp lemon zest 
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp rosemary finely diced
1 egg
(two batches of meat, one for Ange with no heat)

Grilled inside as it's blowing a freaking gale outside now.  

Freshmade Hamburger Buns
2 cups bread flour
1 cup water
13g fresh yeast
10g milk powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
butter and sesame seeds post bake

Yogurt Sauce
150g fresh greek yoghurt
1 teaspoon garlic mince