• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Chinese Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
grantmichaels said:
I guess I better re-read the rules line by line ... since I almost forgot PoL! ...

The first 4 are Chinese-American favorites, and #5 is traditional or take-out style. The non-traditionally spicy will be spiced.)

Got it. Mine's not even take-out, like I thought ...

Challengers: This is about cloning favorites, which means you need to list all cooking steps and exact recipes so the voters can visualize your flavors and be able to clone as well.

<expletive>

Everyone has a 10 pic max.

Ooh la la ....

PoL: $.65 or a fortune from a fortune cookie.

Haha ... I'd missed the fortune option the 1st time I read it ...

Does the ten pics max include teasers? Or just final post?

The Hot Pepper said:

That's what I assumed but didn't want to find out the hard way

Here's a blurry teaser, darn sun going down at 5pm :(

cHHJNt0.jpg

LuM2LTK.jpg

[SIZE=36pt]General D3monic's Chicken[/SIZE]
wXn55g5.jpg

INGREDIENTS

For the Marinade:
  • 2 egg white
  • 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons dales marinade
  • 4 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
  • 4 tablespoons 80-proof vodka
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 6 tablespoons corn starch
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch chunks
Beat egg whites in a large bowl until broken down and lightly foamy. Add soy sauce, wine, and vodka and whisk to combine. Set aside half of marinade in a small bowl. Add baking soda and corn starch to the large bowl and whisk to combine. Add chicken to large bowl and turn with fingers to coat thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.

QvKqO49.jpg

For the Dry Coat:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt

Combine flour, corn starch, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Whisk until homogenous. Add reserved marinade and whisk until mixture has coarse, mealy clumps. 

Heat 1 1/2 quarts vegetable oil in a large wok to 350°F and adjust flame to maintain temperature.

Working one piece at a time, transfer chicken from marinade to dry coat mixture, tossing in between each addition to coat chicken. When all chicken is added to dry coat, toss with hands, pressing dry mixture onto chicken so it adheres, and making sure that every piece is coated thoroughly.

GRmjrXe.jpg

Lift chicken one piece at a time, shake off excess coating, and carefully lower into hot oil (do not drop it). Once all chicken is added, cook, agitating with long chopsticks and adjusting flame to maintain a temperature of 325 to 375°F, until chicken is cooked through and very crispy, about 4 minutes. 

9AfMPrF.jpg

deh5lC5.jpg

Transfer chicken to a paper towel-lined bowl to drain.

StHhK9F.jpg

For the Sauce:
  • 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons dales marinade
  • 4 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
  • 4 tablespoons Rice vinegar
  • 6 tablespoons low-sodium chicken stock
  • 8 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoon roasted sesame seed oil
  • 2 tablespoon corn starch
  • 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 4 teaspoons minced garlic (about 4 medium cloves)
  • 4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger (about one 2-inch piece)
  • 4 teaspoons minced scallion bottoms (about 2 scallions), plus 6 to 8 scallions, white parts only, cut into 1-inch lengths
  • 8 small dried smoked red chilies 
Combine soy sauce, wine, vinegar, chicken stock, sugar, sesame seed oil, and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir with a fork until cornstarch is dissolved and no lumps remain. Set aside.

Combine oil, garlic, ginger, minced scallions, and red chilies in a large skillet and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are aromatic and soft, but not browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in sauce mixture and add to skillet. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens, about 1 minute. Add scallion segments. 

XC9ZtVN.jpg

Add chicken to large bowl and add sauce. Toss chicken, folding it with a rubber spatula until all pieces are thoroughly coated. Serve immediately with white rice

XbPKcco.jpg

Enjoy!

aiHgplu.jpg

fNRD4RS.jpg

The dish was killer, marinade smelled heavenly, chicken was perfectly crispy even after coating in sauce, sauce flavors were better than anything i've had at a take out. Only qualm was not enough peppers. I was worried about making it too spicy for the fam but barely noticed any heat. Very sweet and savory. 

I think the Dales marinade subbed for some the soy was a really good call. 

The Hot Pepper said:
WOW!

I can't take this man. May be the best I've ever seen out of you. No joke, wow, this is like the TITS plus some. Like that chick in Total Recall!

I think the burger was probably my best on a TD but i'll take the compliments. 

Best part was the meal cost me less than $10 to make and could of fed 4-5 

I had most the ingredients just needed the rice wine, chicken and another thing of scallions. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back