• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Chopped Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 hours into the cook. Tested to see if the bones were loose. No dice. So flipped them and put the top back on. This place smells so awesome the cops are gonna show up asking for doughnuts.

IMG_5424.jpg

well, I'm out. The store's out of short ribs and the butcher shop's closed on Sundays. Some good looking grub from others though. I was going to make a flour out of the Panko and make egg noodles.
Sorry to hear that, SL. When I went to the store yesterday, they told me they sold out first thing in the morning. However, they said they'd get another delivery early today, so I went as soon as I knew the meat counter would open and they cut some for me. I had no idea this cut was that popular. Or maybe.....

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

:rofl:

Why do your short ribs smell like donuts?

They don't smell like doughnuts. They smell like too much awesomeness for one place. Cops show up looking to see what's going on... "Is that a Bear Claw?... If not, I'm gonna haf ta gaffle ya."

You know how it is.

Not competing this month, but wanted to pop in and say how awesome frydad's entry was. I wish I had that kind of artistry with food! That is a totally rockin bad awesome nasty entry! :rofl:

Pretty insane that yesterday it was so quiet and now today "HELLO"
To bad you guys don't live in our neck of the woods, we have a TON of asian stores around that have plenty of short ribs.

Looking nice everyone.

All i can say, FAIL. FAIL. FAIL.

see if i can work something out

So slow cooked the beef for nearly 4 hours. Fell apart.

SDC11841.JPG

Tastes unreal

SDC11843.JPG

Used some Shimeji mushrooms and pan juice to make a gravy

SDC11838.JPG

SDC11848.JPG

No heres where i ran into a problem, so change of plans, fingers crossed again

Whipped up some pico de gallo... which, if I'm not mistaken, means "pick of the cock."

IMG_5427.jpg

Bones fell out = done.

IMG_5428.jpg

Wrapped those bad boys up proper with a bit of colby/jack and tossed them in the steamer... switched to wine for tonight.... I'm pfffftttssss.

IMG_5429.jpg

No pics of the rest of the build. Slipped my mind. I'm focusing on the final plate.

Just finished making mine a few minutes ago ,and cleaning my plate as well.Here's some pics of the cooking process for everyone.

First-Rub down the short ribs in kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper(picked up both bone in and boneless)
THPChoppedthrowdown001_zps4679a1df.jpg

Then got my enamel coated cast iron pot nice and hot added a tablespoon of olive oil and began to sear all pieces on all sides.
THPChoppedthrowdown002_zpsf253a570.jpg

Once done searing all the meat.With all those bits left on the bottom,I melted 2 tablespoons of butter before adding my diced carrot,celery,onion 2 Trinidad seasonigs and 8 cloves of garlic along w/ some fresh rosemary,thyme and bay leaf from my garden.Then began to saute and scrape everything from the bottom
THPChoppedthrowdown003_zps598eef72.jpg

THPChoppedthrowdown004_zpsc5ba0773.jpg

THPChoppedthrowdown005_zps77caeffc.jpg

So who remenmbers White Men Can't Jump??

Well Gloria has a quote in the movie "Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs"

So in short, i may have been going for a win, Idea was a huge fail, improvisation prevailed, and whether or not it Wins or Loses, i think i have learnt and gained from this.... ?

Either way these things i ended up with were bloody tasty and will make again

Beef mix and Mushroom Gravy. Plan was to wrap this in creamed corn mix and make a mix between a pie and a croquette, That did not work at all. So on the fly, gameplan change

SDC11850.JPG

Good things take time, lots of time. I started this several days ago. The finished product tastes like a Sunday dinner at Gramma's house. This is Shepherd's Pie JayT Chopped Style

Ingredients:

The Chopped ingredients are red wine, used in the braising liquid, beef short ribs, braised and used as the base, creamed corn, layer number two, and panko, mixed with Pecorino Romano and bunches of spices to form a topping.

The ingredients for the braise:
Boneless beef short ribs
carrot
celery
onion
bell pepper
jalapeno
cremini mushrooms
garlic
tomato paste
red wine
beef stock
bay leaf
thyme
sea salt
black pepper

The ribs were coated in sea salt, and black pepper and then browned on all sides. The remaining ingredients, save the bay leaf, thyme, wine, and beef stock, were pureed. After the rubs were removed the remaining ingredients were cooked down, browned and scraped off the pan after the wine and beef stock was added. The ribs were put back in the bath and covered with the stock. They remained in the jacuzzi for three hours, at which time they came out and were shredded. The braising liquid was reduced to a thick consistency and the meat was returned and mixed in to form the bottom layer.

Next, came the creamed corn, some mixed vegetables including carrots, peas and green beans. A thick layer of cheddar mashed potatoes covers the whole thing, and it is baked in a 400F oven for 35 minutes. Finally, a topping made of panko, Pecorino Romano cheese, garlic, chili powder, smoked Caribbean Red powder, basil, and butter is added for the last ten minutes. Served with a glass of Carbordeaux '12.

100_1184.JPG

100_1183.JPG

Then I added the red wine(1 cup),let it come up to a boil before I added the meat back in plus 2 cups of water plus a sprinkle of salt and cracked pepper
THPChoppedthrowdown006_zps0af4c5ae.jpg

THPChoppedthrowdown007_zpsd6058c0b.jpg

THPChoppedthrowdown008_zps6bd4e77f.jpg

THPChoppedthrowdown009_zpsd1201d7e.jpg

Then just covered it up and let it cook for around 3 hrs,here's a pic about mid way thru
THPChoppedthrowdown010_zpsd88acf07.jpg

Then I started the cornbread
THPChoppedthrowdown012_zps78e6735d.jpg

THPChoppedthrowdown011_zpsdb9aa0ad.jpg

THPChoppedthrowdown013_zps112ae83a.jpg

EPIC BALLS

Chopped Ingredients:

Red WIne
Panko Crumbs
Creamed Corn
Beef Short Ribs

Additional Ingredients:

Rock Salt
Rosemary
Garlic
Birds Eye Chili
Treacle Sugar
Flour
Butter
Shimeji Mushrooms
Rice

Wasn't the original plan, but turned pretty good. Tried to keep the chopped ingredients as the core.

Steps:

Beef Ribs were marinated overnight in a mix of fresh rosemary, garlic, salt and red wine. This mix and ribs were then placed in a slow cooker, set on low, and cooked for 4 hours. Bones fell out, meat melted. Perfect.

Shimeji mushrooms were cut up, thrown in a pan with some butter, little bit of flour and some pan juices. Turned into a thick gravy.

Gravy mix and beef were mixed together, creamed corn was added. Thoroughly mix.

1/2 cup of rice was cooked and then mixed in.

Oil was heated up for frying. Mix was portioned into small golf ball sized balls and then roll/coated in panko crumbs. Deep fry until golden brown.

Hot Sauce. 6-8 Birds eye chilis were diced and pulverised in the mortat and pestle. Little bit of oil, treacle and sugar was added and the beaten once again.

Plate up balls and cover in sauce.

Delicious!!!

SDC11853.JPG

SDC11857.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back