• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Chopped Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
DTS - gorgeous....just gorgeous!

But hold up.....is making our own canned cream corn allowed?

dammit...I just hate rules these days...they confusimicate me......

AusMex Tower of Beef
P1071294_zps71c3ffdc.jpg

Topped with slow simmered short ribs and finished with beef and red wine reduction.
P1071295_zps86e69c6b.jpg

Corn tortilla wedges grilled.
Guac: one avacado and 1/2 Tbs lime juice.
Pico de gallo: one vine ripened tomato, fine dice, 1/2 white onion, very fine dice, 4 green Thai chillies, chopped, 2 Tbs coriander leaf, rough chopped, juice of half a lime, pinch of sea salt.
Corn patty: Tin of corn kernels blended to creamed corn. 2 Tbs corn flour, pinch of salt two egg yolks. Mix to form a stiff batter. Chill. Pour half into ring add 3 slices of cheese and top with remaining batter. Fry until outside is firm. Brush with egg wash and crumb with Old El Paso Crispy Chicken spice mix, bake at 180C until cooked.
Beef: Cut into 3 pieces, add 1/2 cup cold water, bring to a boil, drain and wash. Add 375ml beef stock, half an onion and a chipotle. Simmer 3 hours, reserve beef.
Reduction: Bring to a boil remaining beef cooking liquid, add 1/2 cup red wine, simmer until reduced 75%.
Plate and serve.

But hold up.....is making our own canned cream corn allowed?

No, but I could allow it but have to put a notation in the title when it's in the poll. Like on Chopped the show, sometimes they forget an ingredient, but it is up to the judges (members in this case).

I'm voting that making own cream corn is allowed!!!!

D2S!!! WOW! for yourlast post. You'll need to do a little reformatting for a final entry post but OH!YEA! You have a Contender!!!!!

sidenote- if canned creamed corn isn't on the market shelf, smooshing up whole kernel corn is kinda the same thing? (going back to read the last page entries.... brb)

edit- If I understand D2S's post, he used the kernel corn in the same way creamed corn would be in a corn fritter type of thing.

I blended the corn kernels with a pinch of salt to the same consistency as creamed corn. Then I used that with other ingredients to make the patty.

Maybe Scovie needs that Black and Pink Tiara for a while ??? :lol:

D2S, that's what I thought but it'sup to The Boss. Generate your final post with the best pics, the recipe descriptions and how you made your own cream-style corn...

geeme is the best for making sure TD posts have all the P's and Q's.
:cool:

So we had one entry yesterday and it is in question??? Let the judges DQ it if necessary, but let it stand. FD scared everyone with his pearly sangria. Well, not EVERYONE! I ain't askeered. I had a long day of work yesterday so I will be putting the finishing touches on mine and posting later today. Prepare to be wowed. Like SL said of hers, I have no banana leaves, no foo foo of any kind actually, and yes it will be served with Cardboardeaux '12, but every damn one of you is going to want it when you see it. :cool:

Keen to see where you're going with this Booma. Where did you find the Panko? I couldn't find it anywhere. Safeway didn't even have any creamed corn? wtf! Anyhoo. Asian/Mediterranean...? What's that small container labeled Merlot? Looks like spices?

And the stuff I used (Old El Paso Crispy Chicken Spice Mix) is: INGREDIENTS: Breadcrumbs (wheat flour, water, salt, yeast, colour (160b)) (72%), rice flour, salt, onion, garlic (3%), tomato, food acid (330), red bell pepper, cumin, yeast extract, parsley, vegetable oil, lime flavour (0.5%), paprika, black pepper, anti caking agent (551), paprika extract.

My local coles/woolies has panko in ferntree gully, but this came form the asian grocer/butcher in studfield, also the beef did.

The local stores are becomgin quite frustrating for ingredients.

Yeah, regionally here it can be quite hard to find ingredients sometimes. When I lived in Houston and Los Angeles, all kinds of crazy stuff could be easily found. Here? Not so much. I've done my fair share of calling around and driving across town for ingredients. I'm out the door shortly one more time to see if I can't find the short ribs.... wish me well!

Short Rids are being a problem here too. Publix usually has them but the only ones I found yesterday were at Walmart and the dogs would have turned away from them too. Have 2 more places took today. Gees I wish there was a quality butcher within 20 miles of me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back