• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Grillin' & Chillin' Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Mathew McConaughey's voice] Alright Alright Alright...

That bitch that blew through here yesterday is gone and we aren't in any immediate danger so, I am going to kick this thang in the dangly bits. I just need to remember wtf I was gonna do.

Maybe Tequila will help, it usually doesn't but who cares.

AJ man, I am so sorry to hear about your back. I swear the only thing worse than that is tooth pain. Get yourself adjusted and be good to yourself (or very very bad LOL).

OK... Andelé! Andelé! Andelé! ¡Arrrrrriba!!!

P.S. And thank you all for the well wishes. Much appreciated!

:woohoo:  Scovie's rallying!

OH, and I remember what you were going to make.  Want me to post it all up here?  ;)

Chile Juju said:
Lookin' fantabulous SL!!!! And yes, it's 5 o'clock SOMEWHERE!!!!!!   ;)

Thanks CJ, and that's all the encouragement I need!

Time to try out that Gin-ger & Tonic again!

:rofl:

I am doing a chicken. I am also thinking about boning it. Or is it de-boning? I never know.

Either way, I will have my way with it.

This is sounding dirty but I like it.

View attachment 13196

I started this the other day when el Patron announced the theme. I got my quila infusitating with Lemon and Fresh Jalapeños.

View attachment 13198

Here is a quick picture of yesterday's storm, it was blowing all the ash and dust from the Carlton Complex fire all over the damm place. It was like Mt. St. Helens had another fit. I heard the winds at Sun Mnt Lodge were clocked at 80 mph.

Bitch.

View attachment 13197

MUSKY!!!! In Da House!

Side note on Chicken Tenders-
We use chicken breasts and chicken tenders frequently.  But...those tendons in the chicken tenders gross me out!
IMG_3359.JPG

I've devised a way to remove them while still keeping the tender mostly in tact. 

Grip the tendon tightly between the thumbnail and index finger.
IMG_3360.JPG

Slide the tendon between the tines of a strong fork (need a heavyweight for this, lightweight forks will bend)
IMG_3361.JPG

Holding the tendon tightly, slide the fork down along the tendon.  Sometimes you have to wiggle the fork to get it started. 
IMG_3364.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3363.JPG

IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3367.JPG

The chicken meat will be semi-split, but if you lay it on the grill or in the pan tucked together, it will cook up like a single piece of meat.  Half the time when we use tenders or breasts, the meat is diced up anyway.

Well, no one's called me out yet for using packaged shredded cabbage.  Bring it on Musky!

I am confident now that this will be an all day affair. These gdamm Tequila Lem-nades arethe sghit!

took me forever to find the fucking filler funnel for my fizzer but i found it.

teaser or ingredients for the stuff I am doing to day..

View attachment 13210

View attachment 13209

In the fizzer goes the Jalapeno, lemon infused tequilla, simple syrup, fresh lemon juise and water.

View attachment 13208

Cap it and shake 16 times. no more no less. I lost count after 3. oh well.

View attachment 13207

Recap-
Asian Wings, Gin-ger & Tonic, Asian Slaw

The Drink-
Make a ginger simple syrup for the Gin & Tonic- (recipe to follow)
IMG_3168.JPG

IMG_3358.JPG

Main ingredients-
IMG_3347.JPG

Asian Glaze and slaw
IMG_3354.JPG

IMG_3355.JPG

Marinate chicken wings and tenders in tamari, ginger, garlic sauce and grill.  Put in pans and pour glaze over chicken, cook n grill until done. 
IMG_3349.JPG

IMG_3369.JPG

IMG_3370.JPG

IMG_3374.JPG

IMG_3380.JPG

OMG SL that looks sofa king good. I am on my way there! Tell Salsa Dude not to touch any of mine! (shouldn't be a problem)  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I made my sauce, Chipotles and stuff.

View attachment 13226

So here's a trick for you. Those pesky back bones in the damm chickens are a pain in the aass. So, to butterfly them, use your kitchen shears and pretend you are in grade school making butterflied chickens out of construction paper (mine's pink).

View attachment 13224

All loved up and rubbed, in the vaccuuum bag for awile. (actual length of time to be determined later LOL)

View attachment 13223

Very nice truss work there Musky!

Salsalady's Asian Wings and Things

Common Ingredient- Ginger

Gin-ger & Tonic Drink-
enough for 4 drinks
Make a ginger simple syrup by simmering 1 cup water, 3/4 cup sugar and 2T(or more) ginger until sugar is melted.  Strain and cool.

Mix in a jar or glass pitcher, adjust syrup and lime ratios to taste
2 c Tonic
1 c Gin 
1/4 c fresh lime juice
1/2 c Ginger syrup

Pour over ice cubes, garnish with lime wedge.
IMG_3385.JPG

Asian Coleslaw-
Shredded cabbage, onion, carrot and cilantro (feel free to mix and match veggies to what you have and what you like)
Dressing-
3/4c olive oil
1T sesame oil
1/3c rice vinegar
1/2c soy sauce/tamari
1/4c water
3T agave nectar (or sugar)
2-3 Tbsp ginger, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1Tbsp sesame seeds

Use a regular blender or stick blender to mix it all up and emulsify it.  Toss with cabbage mix right before serving.

Asian Wings-
Marinate chicken pieces in-
1 cup Tamari (soy sauce)
1 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
1T minced ginger
2T minced red onion
1T minced garlic
few grains Jonah 7 Pot chile or to taste
Simmer sauce just enough to cook the onion a bit, then cool.  Add chicken wings and put in refer for 1-2 hours.

Asian Plum Glaze-
Red Plum Jelly, tamari, rice vinegar, brown sugar, minced ginger, onion and garlic, sesame oil and sesame seeds, Hot Chile to taste (can use fresh chiles or dried, whatever you have available.  I used Jonah 7 Pot powder)

Simmer the glaze to cook the fresh ingredients.  You can blender it up for a smoother consistency if desired.  I used the immersion blender after the onions etc had cooked to get it all smooth, then added the sesame seeds. (this can be made ahead of time, keeps really well in the refer)

Cooking the wings-
drain the chicken pieces and discard marinade.  Cook chicken on the grill until nicely marked.  Put chicken pieces in a flat pan and pour Plum Glaze over the chicken.  Cook until Done either on the grill or in an oven. 

Serve wings with Asian Coleslaw and icy-cold Gin-ger & Tonic.

IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_3383.JPG

The tart gin-n-tonic and crunchy cold slaw were great offsets to the sweet-hot chicken wings.  I'm going back for more!!!

CHEERS!

Holy Crap these are friggen delicious. I strongly suggest you make this stuff.

Tequila Jalapeño Lemonade

⅕ Silver Tequila
infuse with 2 jalapeños and zest of 1 lemon

Mix:
1 C. infused tequila
1 C. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 C. Simple sugar
2 C.s water

keep in pitcher in the refer and pour over ice. Holy crap, my head is light and my lips are bright.

View attachment 13231

Scovie, is that SODA water?

Sounds like a really light refreshing drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back