• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Grillin' & Chillin' Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scoville DeVille said:

Thank you sir but there are others in this thing you know.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

frydad4 said:

He was talking to me...

(HAHA)
Naw, pretty sure he was talking about ME!

heeheehee

JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA....

Scovie posted that recipe just so he wouldn't lose it!    :rofl:

No soda water SL, but there's a batch in the fizzer-upper. For dessert I think! ;) I like these even better than Pendejos!!!!

That recipe in the Fizzer sounds even better!

edit- went back and looked at the recipe.  I see it now-
"1 C. infused tequila
1 C. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 C. Simple sugar
2 C.s water"

1 C.= 1 cup
2 C.s water= 2 CUPS water.

Not me... I am stuck working all weekend and we have no open flame grill here. Pity, I had a great idea too. Oh well, I'll still make it whenever I have a day off again. Think mojito... Looking great everyone. Carry on...

Chile Juju said:
I like these even better than Pendejos!!!!

wow. Please explain!

you-are-my-friend_rect-500x500.jpg

frydad4 said:

wow. Please explain!

you-are-my-friend_rect-500x500.jpg
no, no, no....Scovie's drink - The Pendejo. (I think it's in his profile).

And I thought "pendejo" meant idiot, or fool! Or something else. I just know not to say it in a crowded restaurant!!!!  :rofl:

LOL!!!!

I actually saw that image on a T-Shirt at a Marlins game last week. 

I almost pissed myself laughing!!!

Proceed!!

Where's Key and the rest who posted teasers????

Scovie's Pendejo recipe is muddled jalapenos, lime, alkehawl, something like that...  And yea, don't go into a bar and try to order one! 

husker, is that "cider SCAPE vinegar" ?    Sounds good!

Korean-style Short Ribs, Cherry-smoked Sea Scallops with Avocado Corn Salsa, and homemade sweetened Cherry-Ginger Limeade

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Short ribs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Rice vinegar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Soy sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sesame oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Fresh ginger [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Honey[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sesame seeds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Ears of corn[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Ripe avocados[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Onion[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Tomato[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Jalapeno chili[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Fresh cilantro[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Fresh lime juice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sea salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Canned chipotle chilies [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Ground cumin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cayenne pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Garlic powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cherries[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sea scallops[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Mediterranean oil [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cooking spray[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cherry wood chips[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make short ribs:[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]In a large flat dish, combine ¼ cup soy sauce, 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons pineapple orange juice, 3 tablespoons sesame oil, 1 ½ tablespoons fresh grated ginger, 1 ½ tablespoons honey, a bit of cayenne pepper, and 1/3 cup sesame seeds. Mix ingredients together and add a quantity of short ribs. Turn to coat, and let marinate 3 hours-turning occasionally.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=medium]Preheat grill to the hottest setting. [/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=medium]Grill ribs turning once until done. During the first five minutes, coat with marinade from original pan.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=medium]Wrap ribs in foil and let sit 10 minutes. Sprinkle on some sesame seeds.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make avocado salsa:[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Start by heating a grill to medium high. [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=medium]De-husk and clean some corn. Coat in oil. [/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=medium]Place whole corn on grill and close lid. Let cook for 10 minutes. Corn will char.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=medium]Using a knife, carefully scrape down lengthwise on the corn to remove kernels on all sides. Set aside until needed.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=medium]Prepare fresh ingredients as required: peel and slice 1 onion, 1 jalapeno (remove seeds,) 1 tomato (remove seeds,) 2 clove garlic, 1-2 avocados; de-stem fresh cilantro leaves; and juice 10 limes (leave some sliced for later.)[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=medium]In a bowl, place the corn kernels you prepared earlier. Add about ¾ avocado’s worth of pieces, about ½ onion’s worth of pieces, 1 tomato’s worth of pieces, 1 jalapeno’s worth of pieces, 2 garlic clove’s pieces, 1/3 cup or so cilantro, and 3 tablespoons lime juice. Stir and refrigerate until needed.[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=medium]In a separate bowl, add two mashed chipotle chilies, 1 cup cilantro, 1/3 cup pineapple orange/lime juice mixture, 1 teaspoon cumin, some garlic powder, and a bit of sea salt. Stir to mix.[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=medium]Brush sea scallops with oil and add to bowl with chipotle chili mixture. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or so. [/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=medium]When ready to cook, set grill again to medium-high heat. Using some heavy-duty aluminum foil, create a holder for a few handfuls of cherry wood chips. Seal these chips in on all sides; then poke holes through the top of the foil in a number of places. This will create your smoke inside the grill. Let this foil ball heat up with the grill.[/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=medium]*Note*. Prior to starting, I noted that my grill grates would not accommodate something as small as a sea scallop without having them fall through. Thus, I decided to make a one-time investment, and went to Home Depot in search of a better grilling surface for that purpose. I managed to procure a flat metal sheet with holes from the grill section which seemed to work well. I simply preheated this grilling sheet along with the grill.[/SIZE]
  11. [SIZE=medium]Spray the cooking surface with cooking spray, and then place scallops on grill. Let cook for five minutes on a side with the lid closed, then turn them over.  [/SIZE]
  12. [SIZE=medium]Remove from grill, and serve as desired.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make cherry-ginger limeade:[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Start by juicing and slicing some limes. Add two cups water to a container. Add three tablespoons lime juice and a generous amount of sweetener. Stir. De-stem and remove seeds from several fresh cherries, then squeeze juice out by hand into cup. Add one teaspoon of fresh ginger juice left over from when you grated the ginger earlier. Next, add four cherry halves, and one or two slices of lime. Stir mixture a bit, and then refrigerate overnight. [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=medium]When ready to serve, transfer to serving glass. Add a quantity of crushed iced and a lime for garnish. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]Caliente y Frio -[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]Skirt Steak Taco and Ghost Pepper Moonshine Shooter[/SIZE]

Ingredients

Tacos
Skirt steak
Relaxin’ Jack Backyard BBQ Rub
Lime juice
Red Cabbage Slaw (recipe below)
Queso fresco
Fire roasted ghost pepper hot sauce (ingredients and recipe below) to taste
Tortillas

Gazpacho
3 Tomatoes
1 Red bell pepper
1 Carrot
1 Cucumber - seeded
½ Zuchini
1 Clove garlic
Ghost pepper infused moonshine to taste
3 Green onions
Cilantro to taste
1 Lime juiced
Olive oil
Cider scape vinegar
S&P

Red Cabbage Slaw
2 cups shredded red cabbage
2 Green onions
Cilantro to taste
Olive oil
Cider scape vinegar
S&P

Fire Roasted Ghost Pepper Sauce
10-12 Bhut Jolokias
1 small red onion
2 tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons agave nectar
¼ cup white vinegar
Juice of 1 lime
S&P

Directions – Fire roast the tomatoes, red onion and bhuts.  Combine roasted veg in blender with vinegar, agave nectar, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper.  Blend to desire consistency.  Place mixture in a small pot.  I did everything on the propane grill tonight.  So I brought the sauce to a strong simmer for about 10 minutes on the grill.  Bottle the sauce, invert for 3 minutes. Set aside for final plating.

For the gazpacho, blend together all of the ingredients listed for this recipe.  Add as much or as little ghost pepper infused moonshine as you like.  I like enough to taste it but not overpower the soup/shooter.  Put it in the refer or fridge to cool down before plating.

Shred red cabbage, green onion, and then finely chop the cilantro.  Lightly dress the slaw with cider scape vinegar, olive oil, s&p.

Dust the skirt steak with Relaxin’ Jack BBQ Spice Rub.  Squeeze some lime over the steak for good measure as well.  Grill off the skirt steak to your desired doneness.  I went for the killer cross hatching.

Time to plate! Fill a nice tall shot glass with the chilled gazpacho.  Garnish with lime wedge.  For extra points, you can do a ghost pepper infuse moonshine floater… I did.  Place shot glass on plate.  Grill the tortilla for about 15 seconds on each side to give it a little color.  Top the tortilla with steak, red cabbage slaw, queso fresco, and the ghost pepper hot sauce.

I apologize for any misspelling or grammar mistakes.  As I said, I am drunk and need to put my kid to bed.  But this meal was hands down one of the healthiest and TASTIEST meals I made all summer.  Great theme to this month’s throwdown!  PS – Bonus points for using multiple ingredients in both meals?  J

032_zpsbc5ed7d9.jpg

037_zps3f79278c.jpg

039_zps3c6a1a9c.jpg

The Georgia  3-Way

I did a peach and sausage stuffed pork loin, served with grilled corn, and a spicy peach chutney, along with a peach-strawberry gin drink.

The stuffing: peaches, hot Italian sausage, bleu and gorgonzola cheeses, fresh jalapeno.

The chutney: peaches, red onion, cider vinegar, brown sugar, fatalii, fenugreek, nutmeg, coriander, cinnamon, clove, and fresh ginger.

The drink: 3 oz Hendrick's Gin, 1 fresh peach and 4 strawberries (juiced), soda water, ice. Garnished with fresh peach, strawberry and mint sprig.

:beer: 

Big Bad Wolf Brick Chicken

Common Ingredient: Lemon

Chicken Marinade/Sauce:
• 1 - 7oz. Can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
• 1 - C fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
• 2 - Tbs Espresso Powder
• ½ C Water +/-
• 1 - 8" X 16" patio brick wrapped in foil

Butterfly 1 whole fryer chicken, and vacuum seal in ⅔ of the sauce/marinade for 2 hours and 17 minutes.

Get the grill nuclear hot and place chicken skin side down place brick on chicken as a weight. Immediately turn heat down and indirect for approximately 2-25 minutes per side. Meanwhile take remaining sauce and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Slice up white/dark meat, drizzle with sauce, serve with burnt tortillas and enjoy. Placing a brick or other heavy weight on a whole butterflied chicken cooked low and slow does something magical. It compresses the meat and somehow makes it juicier. I am a little buzzy so that's about as scientific as I can get. :BOLD:

Drink: Tequila Lemo-nade
Infused Tequila with fresh Jalapeño and zest of 1 Lemon for 2 days in a vacuum canister.

Recipe:
• 2 C.'s Infused Tequila
• 1 C. fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
• 1 C. Simple Syrup
• 2 C. Water
• Optional Jalapeño wheels is distilled water ice cubes. (Thanks Hogleg)
Combine ingredients and add to a Fizzer™ (or other carbonator). OR...
Just serve over ice. I like them both ways. (I'm like that)
You could probably make a "blended" Lemo-nade or even a sno-cone. 

Zucchini:
Flared and drizzled with EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar.
Grill for 5-6 minutes per side on low.
Serve.

Corn on the Cob:
Compound butter made with Red Pepper Flakes, Chipotle Powder, Scotch Bonnet powder, Onion Powder & Garlic powder.
peel back corn husk, remove silk, and generously rub on compound butter.
Pull husks back up and tie closed. Grill on low for 20-25 minutes.

View attachment 13235

View attachment 13233

post-4713-0-42480500-1407115154_thumb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back