• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Hangover Cures Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok  i felt liike joining the fun... just gonna grab a jack before writing everything out... happy new year all   :beer:

2016-01-03%2015.12.28_zpsbw68n9sy.jpg
2016-01-03%2015.12.35_zps0qwqjban.jpg

Tinnie's Tipsy Brekkie

Baghdad eggs on avocado toast - Bacon - Bean salad

Ingredients:

Baghdad eggs:- Oil, butter, 2Clvs garlic, 1/2tsp cumin seeds, 1tsp birds eye flakes, lemon, 2 eggs

Bean salad:- 1 tin Butter beans, 2 clvs garlic, 2 birds eye chillies, 1/2 small cucumber, handfull green onions, handfull corriander, evoo, lemon

Other:- 2 slices toast, avocado, bacon

Method:

- Drink some beer

- Melt butter in a little oil on med/low heat and then add garlic, cumin seeds, chilli flakes. Toast spices a little, then add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Move solids to one side of pan and crack two eggs in to other side, cover pan with lid. Occasionally spoon butter/spice mixture over cooking eggs. repeat till done.

- Drink some beer

- Cook bacon

- Drink some beer

- Finely chop ingredients for salad, add to drained beans
- Add s/p, evoo and juice of 1/2 lemon..... cover and set aside to marinate....

- Drink some beer

- Mash avodado in to 2 slices of toast and top with cooked eggs... plate other ingredients...

- Drink some beer

- Done

- More beer...

2016-01-03%2015.59.18_zpsgcg7pvil.jpg

Now that's a 'Hangober' Entry I can support! Exquisite Balance of Hops-n-Protein!

(plus - I'm a sucker for smashed avos...anytime, anywhere...just sayin'!)

And it made me freaking grin..so there's that.

BEC, S&P hold the Ketchup

The goto hangover meal for me has always been a trip to the bagel store for a bacon, egg and cheese sammie with coffee.  Something so simple, yet it just hits the spot and there is no cooking or cleanup.   Who wants to do either of those when you are hungover?

After drinking myself to sleep last night, I gave it a try this morning.  Scrambled egg, bacon and cheese on a homemade braided onion roll.  It was washed down with coffee spiked with Bailey's Irish Cream.

Rolls

2/3 cup warm milk
1/3 cup warm water
3 tbl honey
2 extra large eggs room temp
2 tsp yeast
3.5 cups+ bread flour
1.5 tsp salt
3 tbl unsalted butter
1/2 cup active sourdough starter
1 onion chopped and saute in butter

Add flour,yeast,salt whisk to combine and add sliced butter.
Combine milk,water,eggs,honey,sourdough, onions and whisk to combine, add to dry ingredients.
I use the dough hook attachment and knead for about 6-8 mintues let it rest a few minutes then knead again for another 2 minutes.
Form into a ball and cover with plastic wrap and let rise to at least double.
After first rise form into individual rolls.  They will double or triple in size.
Brush with egg yolk and cream mixture.            
Bake @ 400F until golden.

Prepare the eggs to your preference, I like scrambled.
Cook the bacon to your preference.
Assemble the sammie and drown it with hot sauce.  

IMG_6223.JPG

IMG_6224.JPG

IMG_6225.JPG

IMG_6227.JPG

IMG_6230.JPG

IMG_6231.JPG

Drunk, Hungover or Sober, THIS IS WHERE IT'S AT!

There were a handful of singles at the last place I lived in Texas. From time to time we'd go out Kikker dancing (that's C&W to some of y'all) and close the place down. Then we'd head over to a local all-night cafe and chow down on massive plates of food and OJ until we couldn't eat one more bite. For me, it was always pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream - lots and lots of strawberries and whipped cream, thank you very much! Sometimes I'd have eggs or bacon to go with it, but always the pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream. Here's a tip of the hat to those good times!

Pumpkin Pancakes

1-1/4 cups AP flour
1 Tbsp sugar (up to 2 Tbsp if you want sweeter pancakes)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp clove
Hot chile pepper powder to taste
1 cup milk
6 Tbsp pumpkin puree (or butternut squash puree or sweet potato puree)
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 egg

Let wet ingredients come to room temperature. Sift together dry ingredients. (If you know you'll be cooking drunk or hungover in advance, put the dry ingredients into a zipper bag ahead of time so they're already mixed when you need them.) In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients then fold into the dry ingredients. Let rest at least 10 minutes. Melt some extra butter in a skillet over medium heat (or just use a non-stick pan); pour about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. This yields a thick batter, so use the back of a spoon to spread them out. Cook pancakes about 3-4 minutes each side.

P1020073.JPG

P1020074.JPG

Whipped Cream

1 cup whipping cream
2 tsp sugar (up to 2 Tbsp if you want sweeter cream)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Chill the bowl and beaters before whipping. Place cream into bowl and beat on medium speed until soft peaks are formed. Add sugar and vanilla and beat until soft peaks form again. Too much work? Get a can of ReddiWip, instead!

P1020072.JPG

Strawberries

Ok, nothing fancy here - fresh strawberries, sliced. (If you want a sweeter version, slice them ahead of time and sprinkle with sugar, then place in fridge until you're ready to use them.) Think you're going to struggle with slicing in your drunk or hungover state? Get a package of frozen, sliced strawberries and thaw it!

P1020071.JPG

Serve the pancakes with extra strawberries and whipped cream on the side, 'cause there ain't no such thing as too much strawberries and whipped cream. True story!

La boisson

Honestly, the idea of "hair of the dog" never appealed to me, so I've never done that before. But I was thinking that if I would, something like a mimosa would be what I would go for. I have some Courvoisier Gold (liqueur made with cognac and moscato wine) and mixed that with the OJ. It's very much like a mimosa.

P1020075.JPG

P1020077.JPG

D3monic said:

really we get two?
Seems like if we just post our drink we can :)

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

BONUS TIME!

Party all weekend. If you are drinking, postie up your bev in JayT's Hoedown and you can enter a second Hangover Cure!

Woooooohooooo a place to drink and nurse hangovers all weekend!

Tostadas con Tocino y Huevos
Bonus Entry:

Ingredients:
  • Bacon
  • 4 eggs scrambled
  • left over refried beans
  • left over taco meat (beef, chili ancho modelo, cumin, chipotle sauce, onions and peppers)
  • left over spanish rice (1 1/2 cups rice, 2 cups chicken broth, 1/2 cup salsa, 1/2 cup chipotle sauce, onions and peppers simmered 20min)
  • cheese
  • tostada shells
Directions:
  • Cook Bacon
  • scramble eggs
  • reheat left overs in microwave
  • Layer tostada shells in order of beans, rice, meat, bacon then eggs. Top with cheese. 
  • Place in 350 degree oven, cook until cheese is melted and gooey. 

Dr Pepper to wash it down

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Seems like if we just post our drink we can :)

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

BONUS TIME!

Party all weekend. If you are drinking, postie up your bev in JayT's Hoedown and you can enter a second Hangover Cure!

Woooooohooooo a place to drink and nurse hangovers all weekend!

Yes, post the beverage you are getting drunk with in Hoedown and post a bonus hangover meal. LOL, not double post your hangover bev. You still have time. ;)

The Hot Pepper said:

Yes, post the beverage you are getting drunk with in Hoedown and post a bonus hangover meal. LOL, not double post your hangover bev. You still have time. ;)
I am drinking 64 ounces of bloody mary so I consider it both ;) "If you are drinking, postie up your bev" 

I won;t double post the same shot but BM is my drink for one TD, other will be beer ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back