• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! July 4th-ings Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw, sausage and beans.

Money Shot聽

Pork injection
apple juice
water
Worchestershire sauce
sugar聽
salt

Pork Rub
brown sugar
white sugar
cayenne powder
chipotle powder
ancho powder
arbol powder
paprika
oregano
cumin聽
salt & pepper

BBQ Sauce
brisket drippings
diced onion
minced garlic
water
corn syrup
tomato paste聽
vinegar

Mop Sauce
white vinegar
apple cider vinegar
salt
cayenne powder (ALOT)

Coleslaw
cabbage
carrots
white onion
mayo
sour cream
buttermilk
mustard powder
vinegar
sugar
salt & pepper

The pork was an 8lb Boston Butt that smoked for about 12hr at around 225. 聽The sausage is from a local company called Opa's and is jalape帽o and cheddar flavor. 聽It was smoked for about half an hour then finished with buns over the firebox. 聽The beans are Ranch Style Jalape帽o flavor with extra picked jalape帽os. 聽They were cooked as you see them in the photo, in a small cast iron pan on the smoker.

I hope i did this correctly :pray:聽聽

Holy shot Count awesome!

Pick one of those as your #moneyshot for the "food photography" poll!!!!!

The pork and beans on the grill with steam rising is my choice. ;) (or plated food)

Chillin' Fourth

Grandma's Potato Salad

This is a rif on my grandma's potato salad recipe. It's the only way I'll eat French salad dressing. She never used hot peppers, and I subbed hot pickled okra for the pickle relish that she'd use. And the dried spices are a bit different, as well.
The salad includes potatoes, hard boiled eggs, poblano chile, red bell, green onion, hot picked okra.聽The finished dressing is mayo, french dressing, cilantro, thyme, marjoram, and paprika, thinned to desired consistency with the pickled okra juice.

P1020133.JPG

P1020135.JPG

Grilled Chicken Thighs

The rub includes ginger, chipotle chile powder, sea salt, thyme, marjoram, cumin, cilantro, allspice. 聽
P1020136.JPG

P1020139.JPG

Zucchini - brushed with EVOO, sprinkled with sea salt and cayenne.聽

P1020141.JPG

P1020142.JPG

P1020143.JPG

Too difficult to tell in the pic, since the flash washed it out, but the chicken was nice and moist.
P1020147.JPG

After removing the husk, the corn got a coat of butter and sprinkled with chipotle chile powder.聽

P1020144.JPG

When I told my son I made potato salad, he said "gross." I told him I expected him to try one bite, and that was all. So I was surprised when he sat down at the table with a huge mound of potato salad on his plate and scarfed it down. Ok then!

Very nice entry there, Count!

4 Smokes

Well, the weather was terrible here with rain the whole time, but I didn't let it bring me down. 聽I put our canopy up on our deck and carried on smoking and drinking :)

Let's start with the ribs

Smoked baby back ribs, braised in Andrea's Steak House marinade:

2 racks of baby back ribs
Salt & Pepper
Rib rub
Mesquite wood
3 portabella mushroom caps
1 small white onion

Start by prepping the ribs. I salted them first and put them in the fridge for a few hours. 聽Then applied the rub and smoked for 2 hours before I pulled them off. 聽I then sliced them into 2 rib sections and put in a throw away tray with a bottle of the marinade, the portabellas sliced, and the onions sliced. 聽I also poured enough Bud Light in the pan so there was about 1/2" in the bottom. 聽Cover with foil, and cut some slits in the top so the steam can escape.

These are delicious and the mushrooms and onions are like candy after soaking up all the good juices.

Buffalo Chicken Mac n Cheese

1 lb elbow macaroni
1 Grilled Chicken breast
5 TBS of unsalted butter
3 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
3 cloves garlic
3/4 cup of Franks Red hot
2 TBS flour
2 tsp dry mustard
2 1/2 cups half n half
2/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
1 stalk of celery

First get the mac boiling. 聽While its boiling melt 3 tbs of the butter in a skillet @ med heat. 聽Once melted put in the garlic and the chicken and cook for a few minutes. 聽Then add 1/2 cup of the Frank's and stir everything around so its coated.

In a sauce pan put the other 2 TBS of butter in and melt it. 聽Stir in the flour and the mustard and stir. 聽Whisk in the half n half and the rest of the Frank's and stir until its mixed well. 聽Then whisk in the cheese and the sour cream and turn the heat up a little and keep mixing until the cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth. 聽

When the mac is ready put it in a pan (9 x 13) and mix everything together. 聽I then put it in the smoker at 250F for about 45 mins. 聽Once the cheese is starting to bubble up on top take it out and sprinkle the blue cheese and shake a little more Frank's on top. Then chop up come celery, throw it on top and serve.

Roma Tomato bites

These are so easy and are a great appetizer/side.

Slice how many ever you want in half. 聽Core out the pulp and seeds. 聽Place a piece of mozzarella cheese top with a basil leaf, and wrap in prosciutto. 聽I put a toothpick in to hold it together. 聽I put them in the smoker for about 1/2 hour. 聽Make sure to turn them sideways and drain any of the water/moisture that builds up. 聽Otherwise you'll have a mess on your plate.

Stuffed burger

"Money Shot"

Ground round
Ground chuck
Cabot habanero cheese
poblano pepper
jalapeno pepper
onion
red pepper
guacamole
bacon
salt聽
pepper
garlic powder

mix the ground burger together and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. 聽I made about 1/2 lb patties. 聽Make them into a ball and then take a beer can and smash it into them. 聽wrap them with bacon and use a toothpick to secure.

I then sauteed the peppers, onions, with some chopped bacon to use for the stuffing. 聽After stuffing the burgers, I put 3 1/4" slices of the cheese on the burger and put them into the smoker for about 45mins.
After that I then put them onto the gas grill to char up the bottom a little. 聽After that, I pulled the bacon off and spread the guacamole onto the bun and served.

Guacamole

2 avocados
1/2 a roma tomato
1/2 white onion
garlic salt

Dice up the tomato and onion and put into bowl. 聽Slice the avocado around the middle. 聽Use a spoon to scoop it out of the peel and pull the pit out. 聽Then mash it up. 聽I then sprinkle garlic salt on to taste.

I was sooo freaking stuffed after eating all of this. 聽It was all soo good. 聽The ribs themselves with that marinade can fill you up quick. 聽The mac n cheese is like crack. 聽The tomato bombs are a fresh acidic bite with all of the fat and grease in everything else lol. 聽The burger really hit the spot too. 聽The guac really puts it over the top. 聽I was very fat kid satisfied after this plate. 聽

Go 4th, and Grill.

Here is my entry for the 4th of July holidays.

20160705_155807.jpg

Chicken rub:
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar聽
- 1/4 Cup Smoked Paprika聽
- 4 TBSP Ground Salt
- 1 TBSP Onion Powder聽
- 1 TBSP Garlic Powder聽
- 1 TBSP Ground Thyme聽
- 1 Sprig of Fresh Rosemary (from my garden)

Remove the leaves from the Rosemary sprig and combine with all other ingredients.聽

Chicken Prep:聽
1 - Butterfly a whole chicken (or have your butcher do it for you), and pat dry with paper towel. Other cuts of chicken are also acceptable.聽

2 - Apply a coating of olive oil all over the chicken, using your hands is best.

3 - Apply a generous amount of rub all over the chicken.

4 - Place the chicken in a large bowl, cover with cling film, and place into the fridge for 24hrs.

- Grill the chicken until the internal temp of the thickest portion reaches at least 75degC or 165F.

- I used a smoker box with some Hickory chips to infuse the meat with a smokey flavour. Turned over once only.
20160705_172809.jpg

20160705_171250_1.jpg

20160705_171146.jpg

Smokey Corn Butter:
- 6 TBSP Butter
- 2 TBSP Chopped fresh Parsley (from my garden)
- 1 TBSP Dried Oregano flakes聽
- 1 TBSP Smoked Paprika聽
- 1 TSP Ground Salt
- 1 TSP Ground Black pepper聽
- Red Gum smoked Cayenne powder聽

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, apply a liberal amount of the butter mix to the entire corn surface, then add a sprinkling of Red Gum smoked Cayenne powder. Wrap in aluminum foil, and place on grill for 30 minutes and turn regularly.聽
20160704_193853.jpg

Sweet & Savoury Kabobs

- Watermelon聽
- Pineapple聽
- Brown Onion
- White Mushrooms聽
- Olive oil
- 4 Jalape帽os (from my garden)
- Chirizo聽
- Tasty cheese聽

1 - Cut Watermelon, Pineapple, and onions into chunky pieces

2 -Cut the stems off the mushrooms and coat in a little olive oil and set aside.

3 - Hollow out the Jalape帽os keeping them whole.聽

3 - Cut the chirizo into matchstick sized pieces, then grate the cheese and combine with the chirizo pieces.聽

4 - Stuff the Jalape帽os with the chirizo and cheese mixture making sure they are packed tight.

5 - Grill all the above items individually to ensure they are thoroughly grilled, and have a nice char. Then assemble all ingredients onto skewers to form the Kabob.

Salad
- Cos Lettuce聽
- Cherry tomatoes聽
- Fresh Parsley 聽(from my garden)
- Snow Peas
- Cucumber聽
- Kalamata Olives
- Brazilian Starfish (from my garden)
- Tasty cheese聽

Salad dressing was equal parts Chirizo oil (released when fried) and Balsamic vinegar.聽

20160705_183409.jpg

"Money Shot"
20160705_183429.jpg

20160705_183416.jpg

20160705_185720.jpg

20160705_183212.jpg

Garnished with Pear blossoms, Lime leaves and an Aji Margariteno pod (no, it's not a flower).

Sauce is my own "Smoke "N" Fire".

Happy 4th of July to you, and your families.聽

SR.

GIP hahaha love me some archer!!

Wow Shorerider that is a work of art!! Absolutely beautiful picture. And looks delicious!! That corn looked awesome!! :)
And gimme I'm so stealing your very innovative potato salad. Looks and sound delicious. Grandma new her stuff!!

Wow some insane looking chow!!
Ozzy what can anyone say you always put on a show another beautiful cook!!
Ashen loved those delicious looking stuffed tomatoes and looking forward to seeing that bacon covered love sliced and plated.

As mustard goes my two cents. Love yellow mustard as brother Grant put it for rubbing my meat. Best glue for Q!! And do like it on a burger mixed with some ketchup as the boss suggested yummy pickles and cheese.
Guldens spicy brown is my every day go to mustard. Just love it. And Grey poupon is always a winner!! Also use it to rub my beef brisket before applying rub tried other mustard just didn't have the same flavor after smoking. Really makes a difference I usually don't put them on my protein for flavor more for a glue for the rub and smoke. But on beef you can taste the difference. Wow more like my fifty cents worth haha. :)

Ashen's 聽 Kettle 4

聽smoked 聽maple meatloaf

1 lb med ground beef
1 lb lean ground pork
1 lb lean ground chicken
1\2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup 10 % light cream
half a med size yellow onion diced and sauteed
half a large red bell pepper 聽roasted and diced and sauteed with the onions
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
3 tablespoons homemade montreal steak spice ( if anyone wants the recipe just ask)
1 tablespoon 聽h\m mixed smoked flake ( habs, bonnets,thais, superchile,scorpions, red jalapenos, white bhuts)聽
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg
1 whole bulb new garlic grated on microplane
2 tablespoons HP Sauce
1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
maple flavoured bacon
garlic powder
dried thyme
ketchup
apple juice
apple cider vinegar

mixed the panko , cream and egg together, add hp fish and soy sauce, the cooled onion/ red pepper, 聽

black pepper , steak spice, salt, minced garlic, and ground meats. 聽 mixed together and then fried off a bit to test for seasoning

laid out the strips of bacon and sprinkled with some 聽steak spice, formed meatloaf and laid on bacon strips ,聽

pulled up strips from each side to top then rolled loaf over so seam on the bottom, sprinkled garlic powder, and thyme over works. 聽

Indirect grilled in weber kettle on heated lava rock stone with sugarmaple lump. chunk of sugar maple for smoke . 聽

Running about 320 F for just over 2 hrs.. pulled when temped out at 165 F

spray with cider/ juice mop starting at around the 1 hr mark

grilled asparagus wrapped in flake rubbed bacon

h\m mixed smoked flake
asparagus
bacon strips聽

this one is fairly straight forward. 聽sprinkle and rub flake into the bacon strips, wrap a strip around a couple spears of asparagus and hold in place with pick

I move these from indirect to direct as needed until the asparagus is grilled and bacon is crispy.聽

Smoked risotto stuffed tomatoes
two beafsteak tomatoes 聽cut out core then hollow out using a spoon. 聽put 聽pulp and juices in a small pot
1/4 cup of carnaroli rice
1/4 cup of water 聽plus extra hot water in kettle if needed
1 package of Goya ham flavoured concentrate
3 strips of bacon fried and crumbled
1 teaspoon 聽h\m mixed smoked flake
grated 聽grana padano parm
black pepper聽
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 cup panko聽
1 tablespoon butter + 1 teaspoon for panko

add the rice and water and ham concentrate 聽to the tomato juices and pulp, bring to a fast simmer , stir then put lid on聽

and let cook for about 10 mins, 聽check and add hot water from kettle if needed.聽

at about the 15 min mark taste test rice. 聽It should be just a bit too hard 聽to be considered all dente. 聽

add a good handfull of parm and tablespoon of butter and stir vigorously . 聽add the crumbled bacon and flake . stir then spread thinly on a large plate to cool

melt teaspoon of butter in a pan over medlow heat , add panko and toast without colouring let cool

mix together equal part of grated parm to the cooled panko and teaspoon of parsley.聽

sprinkle parm on the inside of the hollowed out tomatoes , season with black pepper 聽then fill with the cooled risotto. 聽top with panko mix.聽

put the toms in cups formed from foil and place indirect on weber kettle running about 320 F . 聽should take about 30 to 35 mins until panko browns on top.聽

Herbed bannock style foccacia with hot honey butter

Hot Honey Butter

1 tablespoon salted butter
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon h\m mixed smoked flake

mix together and spread on hot bannock

my standard pizza dough

66.6 % hydration. mix of bread flour and 00 pizza flour, spring water, 聽1.5% salt , 7 grams yeast,~ .5 gram ascorbic acid powder 聽4 % EVOO. 聽聽

100% autolyse flour to water 聽then added rest of flour, salt and yeast ,vit C powder. 聽olive oil聽

聽- five min knead in kitchenaid with dough hook 聽 in a large zip bag and in fridge for long rise/ferment.聽

olive oil

fresh herbs, golden thyme, rosemary,parsely
聽聽

heat a small cast iron pan over direct side of weber kettle til it reaches approx. 330 F 聽

add approx a table spoon of olive oil, place flattened round of dough into pan,

sprinkle herbs on top and push into dough with finger tips quickly and carefully , drizzle top with olive oil , replace kettle lid and cook until bottom is golden.聽

top will still be slightly undercooked. flip 聽and cook til top has some colour . 聽

Hard to give exact timing for this kind of thing. 聽Pushing on bread and tapping will give feedback on when done.might take a couple tries before you figure out exactly

聽what it should feel and sound like . 聽should spring back without feeling doughy and have a somewhat hollow sound when tapped.聽

while still hot 聽top with the hot honey butter.聽

JWXqw7v.jpg

gd1JtVt.jpg

7ZsnFhH.jpg

TCM0van.jpg

SB8f1pD.jpg

NL8Hprt.jpg

g9v15BJ.jpg

e9r3aXK.jpg

sMVTUkb.jpg

ek74viM.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]Blame it on the Rain[/SIZE]
聽​
聽​
13581957_1257895914244132_6692104018332498991_o.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Walkerswood Jerk Wings[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Ingredients:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 jar of Walkerswood HOT jerk[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]3 pounds of wings[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Directions:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Place wings in a large bowl and scoop 陆 jar of jerk in bowl. Using your hands, work the jerk into all the areas of the wings. Place the wings in a large food saver bag and vacuum seal. Place in the refrigerator overnight. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Grill indirectly on a 400 to 500-degree grill until the chicken reaches 165 as a guideline.[/SIZE]

13582021_1257895830910807_4413438542707526476_o.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Mojo Marinated Beef Loin Flap Tacos[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 bottle of Goya Mojo[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]3 pounds of beef loin flap[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Pickled red onions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]陆 cup fresh cilantro[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Tortilla shells[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Directions:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Place the beef in a large food saver bag, pour 陆 the bottles into the bag and vacuum seal. Place in the refrigerator overnight. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Grill indirectly on a 400 to 500-degree grill until the beef reaches your desired temperature. For the first two minutes, place directly over the coals.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]While the meat is resting, put the tortilla shells directly over the coals to char[/SIZE]

13558824_1257895834244140_1970492630625714479_o.jpg

13575776_1257895817577475_8214224105097385581_o.jpg

13584700_1257895907577466_3974402124119982597_o.jpg

13576835_1257895824244141_8963144855702579061_o.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Corn[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Corn seed[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Sun[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Soil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Thai Blend powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Butter[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Acquire corn seed, sow in dirt and water until that shit grows corn, when hairs turn brown pick and grill that shit on indirect heat 400 to 500[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Once cooked peel that husk back and slather with butter and sprinkle some Thai Blend on it[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Grilled Corn and Black Bean Salsa[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 can Goya black beans rinsed[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]3 ears of corn shucked, boiled to almost cooked then finished on grill[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]1 serrano, diced [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]3 tablespoons of red onion (diced)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]3 tablespoons of cilantro (chopped)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]pinch of cumin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]juice of a whole lime[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]teaspoon of kosher salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Clove of garlic (minced) optional[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Cut the corn off the聽[/SIZE][SIZE=18.6667px]cob[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and refrigerate for an hour or more.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]#Moneyshot[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Wings were so hot even the bone broke a sweat on the clean bite through[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]
13603406_1257895897577467_2655569320379289729_o.jpg
[/SIZE]

An hour left folks.

Don't forget to mark your Money Shot is participating in the photo contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back