• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! July 4th-ings Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, let's get this started.  First up is PoL.

P1020131.JPG

This is a rif on my grandma's potato salad recipe. It's the only way I'll eat French salad dressing. She never used hot peppers, and I subbed hot pickled okra for the relish that she'd use. And the dried spices are a bit different from what she used. The finished dressing here is mayo, french dressing, cilantro, thyme, marjoram, and paprika, thinned to desired consistency with the pickled okra juice.
P1020133.JPG

Sprinkled some cayenne on top.
P1020135.JPG

grantmichaels said:
I like SBR's.
I like Heinz 57, too.
I've also noticed most people who bitch about them have French's mustard in their home - which is disgusting.

Region's, gotta love 'em.

Nothin' wrong with liking what you like. But let's admit it - if two grilling TD entries are identical except one used something like SBR's and the other made their own (or used some made by someone else on this site), which are you more likely to vote for?  :P  And yeah, I'm on the same page with you on French's mustard. But even it has its place, though I'm way more likely to use dijon or Chinese, or about anything else.

Today is the DAY!
Happy 4th-ings!
Reminder: Can post till 2pm EDT tomorrow!
Newbies, read all the rules including PoL!

The Count said:

LOL, I eat the hell out of French's mustard.  Sure we have fancy mustards for certain things and recipes, but for dipping something (or anything in my case) it's French's mustard.

It's barely acceptable to rub my meat with. :party:
geeme said:
Nothin' wrong with liking what you like. But let's admit it - if two grilling TD entries are identical except one used something like SBR's and the other made their own (or used some made by someone else on this site), which are you more likely to vote for?  :P
The one appealingly photographed?!??!

Four for the 4th 

(red-white-blue rosemary garlic potatoes,sliders,stuffed peppers, and Swedish sausage with Lingonberry-Rocoto sauce)

# money shot

thanks for looking

hope your all having a fun safe holiday weekend :)

:cheers:
GIP

Potatoes were quartered, then seasoned with olive oil, fresh rosemary, Italian herb blend,garlic, and seasoning salt, then wrapped in foil and put on the grill

stuffed peppers (prosciutto and mozzarella) and sliders were grilled with cherrywood chips in the smokerbox

Lingonberry-Rocoto Sauce:

100grams rocotos and manzanos (mostly rocotos)
150 grams lingonberries
15 grams shallot
 2 oz Pineapple juice
 2 heaping tablespoons wild oak honey
1 tsp agave nectar
1 tsp manzano powder for just a little more kick
1 yellow cayenne
2 aji omnicolor 

saute shallots and peppers
add pineapple juice and lingonberries
cook on medium for 5 more minutes
use immersion blender until smooth
add 1tsp of Agave nectar
add wild oak honey to taste (i went with about two heaping tablespoons)
continue to blend until thoroughly mixed
bring to boil for 1 minute
allow to cool
(this sauce is better served warm with waffles, better served cold with meats)

D3monic said:
I hate frenchs mustard.. or any of the plain yellow mustards. I need a good stone ground or something. That yellow bottle crap tastes like vinegar and sadness. 

It's a good base before rub on pulled pork, that, and on burgers with pickles onions and ketchup, I like to squirt a little yellow mustard in the middle of the ketchup. It's tangy stuff but yeah, I'd never use it for anything else really. Dijon baby!

The Hot Pepper said:
You burger snobbin up in here? lol... what happened to eat how you like???

I'm shocked you'd mix on the fly is all ... that's very un-Dan* ...

Mostly I figure Dan* would pre-mix and homogenize ...
FWIW, I don't subscribe to the notion that anything homemade is automagically better than anything commercial ... not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back