beer Begin! : May TD: Golden Stout

Ozzy2001 said:
It's great to read at any time. There are many depths to it. It's great for starting out. It's also great for intermediate, because you now understand all or most of the terms and can actually visualize what he's talking about. I should probably go back and read it again now. There's a lot to digest from it.

I need to check out his water, yeast, and hops books too.

have those, haven't read either ... kind of hate reading ...

on the other side of the coin, i've listened to every single brewing-related podcast, and watched or listened to anything i've found from Bamforth ...

it would be good to read some more, though ...

i actually read the stout section of Designing Great Beers the other night while planning the golden stout, i figure i'll read the relevant chapters for the BrewDown's as we make our way through them ...

I'm not big on reading either. It makes me tired lol. It's going to be nice weather this weekend though, so I may try and sit on the patio and read a little. I'm halfway through Designing right now.

Ozzy2001 said:
I'm not big on reading either. It makes me tired lol. It's going to be nice weather this weekend though, so I may try and sit on the patio and read a little. I'm halfway through Designing right now.

Might have my problem ... eyes don't track well ... end up reading lines over and over, and then fall asleep ...

I have a hyperphoria, at near, or convergence insufficiency ...

If I stare across the room at something small, like the door knob, and switch a hand in front of my two eyes, my vision jumps diagonally as i alternatingly cover each each by sliding my hands back and forth covering them alternately ...

Lots of people have a horizontal phoria, and the brain's wiring is good at resolving that, due to primitive needs to chase things running by ...

The vertical deviation in mine, hence jumping diagonally is the problem ... and the cause of the tracking issues going line to line ...

If I use something like these:

http://www.spreeder.com/
http://spritzinc.com/
http://www.zapreader.com/

I can read like a mofo, faster than average ...

Anyways ...

Krausen's fallen ...

Yanked to free-rise ...

065fbbad6f58194e7d0e4af099e7553a.jpg

No worries, it was covered up in a matter of secs ...

e85d167d56c28acb0f84ecd67753f3f3.jpg

The majority of the ferm is probably complete at 3.5 days ...

So far, so good ...

6f128af3546211b94b619dc8a3a792d9.jpg

073ae763a190df19aed0ca15b155efa1.jpg

I had a tiny taste, because the thief barely reached the surface, and while I honestly couldn't place it contextually to stout, it def didn't taste bad ... so that's good, for one, and it's light in color too, which is also good ...

?

The optical one's use less liquid, and cost $30 or whatever ...

The only reason for this one is the range, to 85P ...

The optical one's stop at 30-31P ...

grantmichaels said:
?
The optical one's use less liquid, and cost $30 or whatever ...
The only reason for this one is the range, to 85P ...
The optical one's stop at 30-31P ...
But I thought you couldn't use the optical ones after fermentation?

Nice. I was going to bottle it. Instead I think I'm going to keg this one. I want to give it another week in the secondary.
Doing some Kolsch research right now.

This is the craziest fermentation I have had yet to date.  First, I had the krausen foaming up thru the airlock in an 8 gallon bucket with a 5 gallon batch.  Now, it has been 12 days since the yeast was pitched and the airlock is still bubbling away at a good rate.  I checked the gravity and it was down to 18. I have used Safale US 05 a handful of times in the past and it never went past 9 days to completely ferment.  The room it is fermenting in is at 64 which is within range for the yeast.  Anyone think I should move it somewhere warmer to finish the fermentation?

It was in my basement which is at 64 so I just moved it to the second level above ground to a room that is much warmer than the basement

Back