beer Begin! : May TD: Golden Stout

The only reason I wouldn't bottle Kiss With A Fist is if it doesn't end up tasting good ...

It was pretty fucking bitter at the end, yesterday ...

I already had the hops pumped up a bit, and the -4P gravity from my goal amplified their presence ...

We'll see what those yeasties do ... haven't read much on them ...

d193f1400ef951caadbdb36ce9bf6fae.jpg

https://youtu.be/VXFSPJYo2KU

grantmichaels said:
The only reason I wouldn't bottle Kiss With A Fist is if it doesn't end up tasting good ...

It was pretty f**king bitter at the end, yesterday ...

I already had the hops pumped up a bit, and the -4P gravity from my goal amplified their presence ...

We'll see what those yeasties do ... haven't read much on them ...
I am bottling however it tastes. Even if Wheebz gives me -16/50. I like the feedback. I find it very useful....good or bad.

I wouldn't bother to bottle shitty tasting beer ... besides the time, it's a waste of bottles, lol ...

I would bottle a mediocre beer though, for said feedback ...

If I'm not mistaken, though, the batches I've made with wheat have all been pretty harsh pre-ferm ...

There was a lot of wheat-factor in the break in the fermenter yesterday ...

I'm curious about the reported coffee-like compound furfurylthiol as a byproduct of oak in fermentation, per Harold McGhee ...

grantmichaels said:
I wouldn't bother to bottle shitty tasting beer ... besides the time, it's a waste of bottles, lol ...

I would bottle a mediocre beer though, for said feedback ...

If I'm not mistaken, though, the batches I've made with wheat have all been pretty harsh pre-ferm ...

There was a lot of wheat-factor in the break in the fermenter yesterday ...

I'm curious about the reported coffee-like compound furfurylthiol as a byproduct of oak in fermentation, per Harold McGhee ...

Bored at work ...so I looked it up

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11600030

I was really looking for the phonetic pronunciation of it.  

Yup, there it is =)

Oak during fermentation theoretically adds another layer of complexity ...

I only used a little spiral ... then again ... it's only in 2 gallons of liquid ...

There's a full 1/2 gal of play in this batch for trub loss in the fermenter ... fuckin' wheat ...

I'm not very competitive, honestly ...

Right now I'm hoping the Mangrove Jack's British Ale yeast is magical, or else I've just made a thick IPA (aka shitty beer) ...

I didn't need my Golden Stout to come in light in gravity, on top of extending the mash and boil, making it both darker than I wanted, and increasingly bitter (for both extending the boil, and being over hopped for the lower gravity) ...

The tiny taste off the refractometer sample was IPA level bitter ... those hops are pretty potent flavored ...

All part of the challenge, though ... I've got some moves in my aresenal, to try, if need be ...

I hopped it a little higher than I would for myself, for Wheebz, and I also lowered the mash temp a little ... for Wheebz ...

I know from the course of conversations that Wheebz doesn't prefer much in the way of residual sugars =)

tctenten said:
https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/0veIbvxxWL/residual-sugars/

Damn science shit again.   I do not think I will ever understand what the cause and effect is for all of the different stages in brewing.   

Lactose isn't processed readily by brewing yeasts, so it remains behind fermentation ...

Higher mash temp favors the alpha-amylase, rather than the beta-amylase, which leads to clipping the ends off of long chains, whereas the beta-amylase divides chains into smaller chains ...

Staying high throughout, means leaving longer chains going into the boil, and ends up leaving sugars in the beer ... well, unless you also pitch Brett, which can work on those ...

So if you want a thick mouthfeel, you mash at a high temp, and/or possibly add lactose or maltodextrin which can't be readily processed by Saccharomyces ...

If you want a thinner body, you mash low 144-148F, maybe, and if you want to go really low, you can add simple sugars (sucrose, dextrose, etc) to further dry it out ...

There, that's the science ...

Ozzy2001 said:
Have you read Palmers book yet? If not read it. Especially, now that you have brewed for a few months.
I did and that is probably not a bad idea.

But here is an example of what I do not get.

For the last brewdown, we all used the same grain, yet we had different reviews from Wheebz about the head retention. From other stuff I have read, I think it was flaked oats, or flaked barley that contributes to the head? Since we could only use Maris Otter, what would have caused different results in head retention? I may be misunderstanding some of this stuff and need to read up on it more, but do other things influence head retention other than the grains and sugars?

tctenten said:
I did and that is probably not a bad idea.

But here is an example of what I do not get.

For the last brewdown, we all used the same grain, yet we had different reviews from Wheebz about the head retention. From other stuff I have read, I think it was flaked oats, or flaked barley that contributes to the head? Since we could only use Maris Otter, what would have caused different results in head retention? I may be misunderstanding some of this stuff and need to read up on it more, but do other things influence head retention other than the grains and sugars?

Like everything affects head retention to a lessor or greater extent ...

Proteins ... like, everything ...

That one's too hard.

Like, Wheebz' 'stache or greasy upper lip one of the nights ...

grantmichaels said:

I've saved that one as a future power-up ...
It's great to read at any time. There are many depths to it. It's great for starting out. It's also great for intermediate, because you now understand all or most of the terms and can actually visualize what he's talking about. I should probably go back and read it again now. There's a lot to digest from it.

I need to check out his water, yeast, and hops books too.

Back