beer Begin! : May TD: Golden Stout

I am curious if I'll end up with something stout-like, or not ...

I figure if not, though, that I should end up with something like a stock ale ... not too different than say, a Founder Curmudgeon ... which I happen to absolutely love.

That's a pretty good fall back position in my book, so I'm excited to see where things are at next week ...

I'm probably kegging mine this weekend. Same as GM, I think it will taste like a stout, but even if it doesn't I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it. The sample going into the secondary was pleasant. It can only get better with the additions.

So for a golden stout that I would make

77% Marris Otter
15% Flaked Barley
5% C-10
3% Melanoidin

Vanilla beans 10 minutes of boil, secondary of coffee beans for 2 days, cacao nibs for 6 days, fermented at 67 with your favorite ale strain, 9% ABV

Trying to imagine what a golden stout would taste like is damn near impossible for me, really ...

In my mind I'm assuming it would be like an old ale with some extra biscuit/graham/toast/roast ... or a wee heavy without those yeast characteristics, or way less crystal ...

I really have no fucking idea, honestly ...

image.jpeg

What I went with, and I used bakers chocolate for full boil.

pretty damn close

grant a golden stout tastes exactly what it says, a golden ale with chocolate and coffee and roast and stout flavors, just not the color

wheebz said:
So for a golden stout that I would make

77% Marris Otter
15% Flaked Barley
5% C-10
3% Melanoidin

Vanilla beans 10 minutes of boil, secondary of coffee beans for 2 days, cacao nibs for 6 days, fermented at 67 with your favorite ale strain, 9% ABV

Interesting ...

Comparatively, then ...

I've got Honey Malt in lieu of C-10 (I know you don't rock the honey malt) ...

And where you've got 15% flaked barley, I'm using 3.5% ea of flaked oats, flaked barley, and carapils for a little over 10%, and ...

Instead of 75%  MO, I'm using a 4:1 ratio of Golden Promise:Torrefied for 70% ...

It should at least be in the ballpark in terms of mouthfeel and relative amounts of proteins and stuff for the head, I'm thinking ...

Hope the rum balances out the spicy qualities from the wheat, and the relatively high bittering charge I ended up with (half purposefully, half for missing my intentional gravity), works out in the wash ...

The only plans I have left are more of the infused rum if it can shoulder it, and coffee/cacao/vanilla in 2nd if need be ...

wheebz said:
pretty damn close

grant a golden stout tastes exactly what it says, a golden ale with chocolate and coffee and roast and stout flavors, just not the color

I'm not sure I've got the roast yet, but I still have the cacao and coffee in secondary to go yet, so that's potentially appropriate that it's not there (yet) ...
tctenten said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

What I went with, and I used bakers chocolate for full boil.

That sounds good to me. What mash temp, and yeast? ...

wheebz said:
pretty damn close
Oops... No coffee in mine. White chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla bean.

Tune-in late-night tonight or tomorrow night for the keg-to-keg transfer onto the biofine, and hopefully the end of my liquid transfer woes ...

The last time I tried that move it was *horrible* ... lol.

I'll grab a sip from what's left behind in the crashing keg it's been in overnight, and have a better idea where I'm at ...

Last night I was all business re: the CO2 purge and not letting the beer get oxidized ... there's too many IBU's to fuck with that risk ...

tctenten said:
Yeah. Which one is better for head ... The oats or barley.

Barley

oats provide an oily slick full bodied mouthfeel, where flaked barley provides more of a mellow creamy type deal and helps head retention significantly more than oats do

Ok, after a day circa 32F, I took a sample and forced it in a PET ...

7552aafb91a1a3c12768b163ac416254.jpg

af6dbeb56dda76606b4ece7f15457b30.jpg

Not too shabby, a bit more porter than stout so far, is all ...

A few mins ago, I wanted to rack onto biofine, and work on the stout flavor a bit, now that the beer is cold ...

2d14cd06724795c1a7cc101a465bfa45.jpg

One more vanilla bean, sectioned into 1/2" segments, 1 oz cacao nibs, and a healthy handful of whole sidamo coffee beans - loaded into the dry-hopper and suspended ...

075ce4e95bf3fa539792608ab309d323.jpg

I flushed the target keg, released the pressure on the donor keg, threw the spunding valve on the target keg, and jumpered the kegs ...

7b98d3ad1a6efdb4185eae9cbda1c64b.jpg

No problems ...

942ce1ffa72a9f42740e31383a24116a.jpg

With the spunding set to 6 psi, I pushed the liquid with 10-12 psi, and it only took like 4-5 mins ...

Tomorrow I'll throw a picnic on and grab another sample to force, to see how the flavor is developing ...

I feel so inadequate. All of you are layering in your different flavors, I just dumped everything into the boil or at flameout. I am sure all of the extra attention you guys are putting into it will shine in the finished product.

I mean, I was hoping the infusion tincture was dialed in closely, and that I could just go with it ... but I needed more chocolate and coffee, I think ... especially to try to get from porter-ish to stout ...

The mouthfeel is dead on, ending at 10P (~1.040), it just doesn't spoof roasted barley ...

Cold, pressure-extraction of whole roasted barley into rum isn't off the table, but I'm hoping the same thing as before, that I can be done, lol ...

No fucking oxidation, though ... it's been handled the way they all should have been. Never "poured" post ferm. For that matter, first time I've used the biofine correctly too, racking onto it ... and it was 32F ...

Looking forward to checking it after a bit ... curious if it's cleared.

grant i dont know how to tell you this, but if it finished at 10P, its not finished, or something is wrong

I dont care what gravity it started at, a 10P beer is underattenuated in every sense of the definition 

I mean thats literally 5% more ABV that could be had out of that beer

Back