beer Begin! : May TD: Golden Stout

wheebz said:
grant i dont know how to tell you this, but if it finished at 10P, its not finished, or something is wrong

I dont care what gravity it started at, a 10P beer is underattenuated in every sense of the definition 

I mean thats literally 5% more ABV that could be had out of that beer
You always say that.

I mean, it's 9.9, but no matter ...

19.3 -> 9.9 is 78% attenuated, and from watching the sliders move in Beersmith, it's from all of the flaked and torrefied, along with the high mash temp, and just being on the bigger side ...

The ferm wasn't sluggish, the bulk was done in the right amount of time (~60 hrs), and it was pretty fucking terminal - only dropping .1P from day three to day six ...

I also consistently don't like dry beverages, either, so maybe it's personal pref, but 1.030-1.045 is a nice FG for a stout, for me ...

I guess I like milkshakes.

how are you even close to getting 19.3 down to 9.9 is 78% attenuated

thats 49% attenuated dude, thats not good at all

and its only 5.28% ABV....

attenuation is the percentage of complete sugars fermented in a batch of beer

if you are starting out with 19.3P, that means that at 0, you are at 100%, at 4.4P, which is exactly where your beer should finish out, you are at 78%

i mean 9.9P isnt a milkshake dude, its just not a beer

I thought 1.040 sounded crazy high. Sure it was reading correctly post ferm?
I wonder if you did a hydro reading what it would be.

We do this each and every time =)

f3a3c291e0f1fa7906404ae4d72b8a13.jpg

Nice and clear today, coffee is brilliant, tastes just like it did in the Mizudashi ...

a85e7ad48577ec0915ea63b8203e4fda.jpg

brewers friend is the one you should trust the most

we actually did the full on mathematical calculations instead of just typing it in, and that was the closest out of all of them

so basically i dont get it

What did it actually start at, and what did it actually finish at? Some of those say 18.5, 19.3, 1078, apparent vs real, i just dont get all those numbers or why you would want to fuck with all that

I mean its like stupidly easy to get those numbers, use a real hydrometer, and read your gravity twice, instead of relying on adjustments and calculators and conversions, its literally one number down to another number
i mean if you take the last one, started at 18.56P, ended at 4.07P, then thats fucking perfect and thats exactly how it should be

except the ABV calculation is wrong, its actually 7.96%, but its 78% attenuation, which is right

tctenten said:
I like milkshakes. No I am really anxious to check mine out tonight.

My milkshake always bring Wheebz to the yard ...

wheebz said:
brewers friend is the one you should trust the most

we actually did the full on mathematical calculations instead of just typing it in, and that was the closest out of all of them

so basically i dont get it

What did it actually start at, and what did it actually finish at? Some of those say 18.5, 19.3, 1078, apparent vs real, i just dont get all those numbers or why you would want to f**k with all that

I mean its like stupidly easy to get those numbers, use a real hydrometer, and read your gravity twice, instead of relying on adjustments and calculators and conversions, its literally one number down to another number

i mean if you take the last one, started at 18.56P, ended at 4.07P, then thats f**king perfect and thats exactly how it should be

except the ABV calculation is wrong, its actually 7.96%, but its 78% attenuation, which is right
All I know is ...

ce5619d74e0f0d21312f65309ee08f43.jpg

Had to transfer in my freezer to keep fined shit down ...

9a065947b8db625c9f19f66c67ad38d3.jpg

00407e23e2af92baf10ca2b2f7c4ec9c.jpg

Keg's at like 9 psi, at 36F ... for the tiny bubbles ...

e2c697adf8c0b0e8ee80b26cac2f55a7.jpg

Sample to force ...

c432f60479687a4d47303ed680b5305a.jpg

Golden-like, 45 psi ...

3640d453d2a5a188b1cfcca5fb1770c5.jpg

Tastes good, not over the top ... definitely beer.

:cheers:

IMG_6499.JPG

Well it is done.  Bottled and everything is cleaned up.

OG 1.064
FG 1.016

ABV 6.3%

Attenuation 73.8

This is an interesting one.  Really will look forward to Wheebz tasting notes.  I have no idea if this fits the bill as a Golden Stout.  I got hints of cinnamon and faint hints of chocolate.  

Pretty much. I just write down stuff that I've tried and I can adjust according to that. For instance when I did that blackberry vanilla wit, I used a half of a vanilla bean and the taste was faint in a 2.5 gallon batch. So, I can adjust from that if I want more or less flavor. I still haven't used vanilla in the boil/whirlpool yet. Curious how different it is.

Back