Mash:
  • 152 F, 3.75 gal
Sparge:
  • 170 F, 6.14 gal
Ferment
  • 66 F for 9 days
  • Rack into secondary, let sit for a week
  • Add vanilla bean and cacao nibs with solution, let sit 7 days
  • Add coffee beans for 1-3 days, tasting sample every 24 hours for coffee flavor level

Vanilla Bean

Vanilla Bean gutted and sectioned

Cacao Nibs measured out

Vanilla Bean and Cacao Nibs in sanitized pint jar with enough vodka to cover, will place in a dark area to soak

Safale US-05 starter 42 hours into it, will place in fridge tonight to crash as brew day is tomorrow

I had that problem when I brewed on the stove, which is how I arrived at full-volume/no-sparge BIAB for my rig ...

But, without a sparge, my efficiency is sinfully low ...

Really low, like 65 on a good day, and 50 on the dark monsters ...

These days I usually reserve 2qt of water from the full volume during the mash, and use that to rinse the grains after propping up the basket at the end ... a pseudo-sparge of sorts.

It's half-effective ...

I really want to just go outside where I won't be cramped for space at all - but the only recipe I'd be comfortable brewing fifteen gallons of would be Wheebz stout, so I'm just not ready to head out there yet ...

At least it's not a session stout.

I think I'll be okay in the future. I just wasn't paying attention and had an extra gallon of water in my sparge. I could have drained the whole thing and just boiled down until I reached what it should have been then go 60mins. It was already a late brew session though, and I wasn't staying up any later to get another .5-.75 extra ABV lol.

I will say the wort sample tasted pretty nice. I'm excited for this one.

image.jpeg

A teaser.....figured I would be a little bit different. I know the oils in the chocolate may present an issue, but....why not?

My version of Shipt.

I know I've seen where semi-sweet/baker's chocolate is used ...

Nice score on the Sumatra Mountain, still not available to me from my preferred spot here in town, but he's going to track some down ...

The other place in town has it, but I don't feel like screwing with getting it, and I have a ton of beer right now ... a lot of which is really good beer ...

Back