beer Begin! : May TD: Golden Stout

You're lucky that it's not voted on, with that name! LOL ...

I ran the MM3 for the 1st time with the corded-driver ...

e8572a5985b800e175670df5713a5409.jpg

Didn't even slow down ...

66ea7758cc377ad370c1ac9ad241f6ef.jpg

I'm ready for wake-n-brew too, but not when tctenten gets up!

This has never happened to me before.  The yeast are so active and the krausen got so big that a it is coming up thru the airlock.  A 5 gallon batch in an 8 gallon bucket.  I have had this happen many times with a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy but not in an 8 gallon bucket.  It is seeping up rather slowly.  Does anyone think I need to put on a blow off tube?

jbeer32 said:
This has never happened to me before.  The yeast are so active and the krausen got so big that a it is coming up thru the airlock.  A 5 gallon batch in an 8 gallon bucket.  I have had this happen many times with a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy but not in an 8 gallon bucket.  It is seeping up rather slowly.  Does anyone think I need to put on a blow off tube?

Nice!

Every time I've ever used those orange udder-like cap thing on a carboy they've been blown off repeatedly during peak krausen, and I've never picked up nasties ...

I always clean up the lip of the glass w/ StarSan and put a fresh airlock on when it subsides from peak ...

:cheers:

Wort is boiling away.  My readings after the mash seemed low for what beer smith spit out as the OG.  No biggie for me as this is a complete experiment.  Put 4 oz of white chocolate bakers bar in for the whole boil.  I read a few things that this helps mitigate the negative effects from the oil in the chocolate.  Cinnamon sticks at 15 minutes and vanilla bean at flameout.  

grantmichaels said:
Cool! I love a good experiment ...

How many sticks of cinnamon you throwin' in there?

Considering it is a 2 gallon batch…should probably do just one…but I may do 2.  I put 4 oz of chocolate…..I want to be able to taste it.   

tctenten said:

Considering it is a 2 gallon batch…should probably do just one…but I may do 2.  I put 4 oz of chocolate…..I want to be able to taste it.   

Sounds like a lot of cinnamon ... I was thinking about using 1/2 to one stick in a 2.5 gal batch ... but I *didn't* want to be able to taste it per se ...

I didn't do any homework on it, so you might be correct ... I shot low ...
This is going to be your first messy boil kettle, that I can recall anyways ...

Reminds of the Mulberara batch - with the damn rose hips and cacao and shit all caramelized onto the boil element etc ...

grantmichaels said:

Sounds like a lot of cinnamon ... I was thinking about using 1/2 to one stick in a 2.5 gal batch ... but I *didn't* want to be able to taste it per se ...

I didn't do any homework on it, so you might be correct ... I shot low ...

This is going to be your first messy boil kettle, that I can recall anyways ...

Reminds of the Mulberara batch - with the damn rose hips and cacao and shit all caramelized onto the boil element etc ...

I think one is definitely enough from what I read, I want to weigh the sticks before I put em in.

MAKE STOUT GREAT AGAIN

This will be an interesting one.  Completely missed my OG marks as derived by Beersmith, or my efficiency really dropped off.  There is a good possibility that I am not using beer smith correctly.  Basically I am just winging this shit…..just like DT….Huge……here are some pics of my stovetop brewing.   

Mash at 152f for 60 minutes.

IMG_6466.JPG

IMG_6467.JPG

My sparge setup.  Really need to get one of those custom stainless steel things that I have seen on the webz.

IMG_6468.JPG

The boil for 60 minutes.

IMG_6469.JPG

My homemade wort chiller

IMG_6470.JPG

Well…..at least I nailed the color.

IMG_6471.JPG

see you when we have some bubbles.

Last minute recipe tweaks.

Didn't have S-04, but I have a pair of Mangrove Jack's British Ale packs, so it'll all good.

Since I'm overpitching yeast pretty significantly, and I've learned in the past that having a shit-ton of yeast strips hops/IBU's from the beer, I'm shifting the hops a little bit ...

AA% of the Galena was different from Beersmith's standard for the type, too, so I'm taking that into consideration ... but especially since my beers have tended towards being a little bit sweet, rather than bitter - and I don't want to do that for one's going to Sir Wheebz ...

Going to do a beta-glucanase rest, since I'm mashing with a lot of flaked*, and then mash high for the mouthfeel towards the parlor trick of spoofing a big stout ...

In my case, a lot of the shit will go down in the fermenters ... I have a lot of stuff I'll be experimenting with in the coming days!

Since it's hot, I'm going to put the wort chilled with the plate chiller in the freezer for a bit after I brew, mix the dry yeast in warm water on the stir plate until the temp of the wort goes down to a nice temp to pitch ... good for the yeast, good for the beer and all ...

KWAF_STARTER.png

KWAF_MASH.png

KWAF_DESIGN1.png

9a74ec82b0e2a2c581c2a2738ca3b05c.jpg

664917242f6188148e43d4aa70279510.jpg

f98862c3d948841c9034281a260c534d.jpg

Let's go!

Back