• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Mexi-Que Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ozzy2001 said:
Natural light outside. And yes Grant. Soft light bulbs inside. Next time I have to take them outside For final pics I'll grab my big white light spot light lol.
I'd laugh, but I trot my food across the house to places with improved light (for the pics) all the time!

Installed different lighting in my carport for the jerk wing contest, so the colors were true on the grills, lol ...

Photography is more and more about painting with light, the better you get ...

Eventually it becomes about multiple points of origins, gets ridiculous, stops being fun at all ... and is real work ...

some more pics before the final post
20150704_125407.jpg

had an 1.5 hrs left to cook, needed some pineapple for the margaritas 
20150704_133536.jpg

20150704_134852.jpg

off the bbq
20150704_151653_1.jpg

falling off the bone
20150704_152251_1.jpg

reducing the drippings, beer braising and onions to make a sauce for the tacos or nachos. tasted like smoky french onion soup
20150704_152755_1.jpg

shredded so nice. so tasty!
20150704_155916_1.jpg

time for a drink, added a frozen dragon fruit
20150704_185353.jpg

20150704_185453.jpg

brisket is done, time to let it sit
20150704_190838.jpg

sliced amazingness. the charred ends were perfection
20150704_194036.jpg

meal name: I got a heat stroke cooking this all day, juicy smokey goodness

Short Ribs Nachos ingredients: short ribs, beer, brown sugar, salt, pepper, hot pepper powder blend, thyme. For the cheese sauce: benton's bacon fat, flour, heavy cream, chipotle colby jack cheese, a little bit of beer, cream fatalii and cream fatalii x red spicy cross. Tortilla chips too. The sauce was the onions and beer braising liquid and drippings in a blender. topped with cilantro and chopped jalapeños 
-applewood&hickory smoked 

Brisket Tacos: Brisket flat, salt, black&white pepper, pepper powder for the rub. corn tortillas. Applewood&hickory smoked. Guac had avocado, cilantro, jalapeño, red onion, lime, salt. 

grilled corn with ancho chili crema with cotija: ancho chile powder, crema, lime, cotija, hot pepper powder blend
potato salad: same as above except yukon gold instead of corn and also has red onions and celery

smoked pineapple dragon fruit margarita: dragon fruit, pineapple, tequila, pineapple juice, lime juice. cup rimmed with salt or turbinato sugar/chili powder mix. 

How to cook: Short ribs: onion sliced 1/2 inch, brush with oil then sprinkle salt pepper and powder then grill. Short ribs sprinkled with with just pepper powder. Grilled the onions and the short ribs for 5mins. layered the smoker as follows: applewood&hickory in foil, then the tray with a makeshift tray of foil. Mix 2 bottles of beer with brown sugar salt and dried thyme. Layered the onions then added the braising liquid. Put the short ribs bone side down, then wrap  in foil. Closed the smoker then wrapped in foil and cooked for 1.5 hrs. Then open everything, add more charcoal and cook or another 1.5 hrs. Pulled the stuff off the bone, shredded, then reduced the braising liquid even more with the onions then blend it up for a sauce. Finally for the cheese sauce, melt the fat and cook the peppers, add the flour, then add the cream and cheese then reduce. Add beer then reduce again. To compose the nachos, just add the chips, shredded meat, cheese sauce, cilantro and jalapeño 

How to cook: brisket tacos: Chop up ingredients for guac then mix. Score the fat not he brisket then brisket is brined in sugar/salt brine for 3 hrs. Pat dry, rub with mixture of salt, white&black pepper & pepper powder.  Stack lit coals on top of unlit coals on one side of the grill, then put soaked hickory&applewood. Put a tray of water on the other side without the coals. The brisket was only 3# so I put it in foil, fat side down. Cooked for 3 hrs. Then flipped, added more coals and cooked for 2 hrs. Let it sit for 30 mins then slice against the grain. Add onto tacos, add guac, and then the onion/braising liquid mixture. 

Ancho Sauce: crema, smoked ancho chili powder, lime juice. 
Potato salad: boiled yukon golds *they're the best for potato salad in terms of starch*, add chopped celery red onions, chopped potatoes and anchos sauce, mix.
grilled corn: grill corn to blacken kernels, roll in ancho sauce then roll in cotija cheese. 

Margaritas: slice pineapple, grill it, then add frozen dragon fruit, lime juice, pineapple, pineapple juice  and tequila and blend. Glasses rimmed with salt or turbinato sugar/hot pepper blend

pics:
20150704_195938.jpg

20150704_195915.jpg

20150704_190645.jpg

20150704_131320.jpg

20150704_131421.jpg

Wow
:dance:
This thread is so full of Awesome, I hope it doesn't break the Internet :P

Wife having fun with ingredients, and Condiments  :D

Yellow Congo,Inca red Drop,Aji Fantasy, Bishops hat

Jar on Left is Inca Berry's (pineapple ground cherry) Inca Red drop Peppers, & Bishops Hat,With Cheap 100% Blue Agave Tequila (Camerena), Jar on Right is Fresh harvested Currants With cheap Vodka (Svedka)

Currant Vodka infusion in the Aeropress 

Twice through the Aeropress With each infusion (1st without filter, then combine and run again with filter)

Combined liquors in a Mason jar, Garnished with a Currant, A Pie Cherry, A fresh Inca Berry, Jalapeno tip, and Chocolate BrainStrain Rings
* DISCLAIMER: The Chocolate Brainstrain Pod is no joke, and should be treated with much more RESPECT than this!
'see Edit below'

Fresh and dried; Chocolate Brainstrain Pods

:cheers:

This drink was   :hot:, but Tasty.  I ended up adding Ginger Ale to it to make it more drinkable, and not quite as HOT

Edit:
Conclusion: That Brainstrain ring was an unnecessary element to this drink *while it did add a strong fragrance(what i was kinda going for) it also Burnt my Face, Hands, and anything else i proceeded to touch the rest of the evening, if your going to do that use a straw and maybe wear disposable gloves 

**Go ahead and laugh at me, I am. ** :lol:

BigB said:
meal name: I got a heat stroke cooking this all day, juicy smokey goodness

Short Ribs Nachos ingredients: short ribs, beer, brown sugar, salt, pepper, hot pepper powder blend, thyme. For the cheese sauce: benton's bacon fat, flour, heavy cream, chipotle colby jack cheese, a little bit of beer, cream fatalii and cream fatalii x red spicy cross. Tortilla chips too. The sauce was the onions and beer braising liquid and drippings in a blender. topped with cilantro and chopped jalapeños 
-applewood&hickory smoked 

Brisket Tacos: Brisket flat, salt, black&white pepper, pepper powder for the rub. corn tortillas. Applewood&hickory smoked. Guac had avocado, cilantro, jalapeño, red onion, lime, salt. 

grilled corn with ancho chili crema with cotija: ancho chile powder, crema, lime, cotija, hot pepper powder blend
potato salad: same as above except yukon gold instead of corn and also has red onions and celery

smoked pineapple dragon fruit margarita: dragon fruit, pineapple, tequila, pineapple juice, lime juice. cup rimmed with salt or turbinato sugar/chili powder mix. 

How to cook: Short ribs: onion sliced 1/2 inch, brush with oil then sprinkle salt pepper and powder then grill. Short ribs sprinkled with with just pepper powder. Grilled the onions and the short ribs for 5mins. layered the smoker as follows: applewood&hickory in foil, then the tray with a makeshift tray of foil. Mix 2 bottles of beer with brown sugar salt and dried thyme. Layered the onions then added the braising liquid. Put the short ribs bone side down, then wrap  in foil. Closed the smoker then wrapped in foil and cooked for 1.5 hrs. Then open everything, add more charcoal and cook or another 1.5 hrs. Pulled the stuff off the bone, shredded, then reduced the braising liquid even more with the onions then blend it up for a sauce. Finally for the cheese sauce, melt the fat and cook the peppers, add the flour, then add the cream and cheese then reduce. Add beer then reduce again. To compose the nachos, just add the chips, shredded meat, cheese sauce, cilantro and jalapeño 

How to cook: brisket tacos: Chop up ingredients for guac then mix. Score the fat not he brisket then brisket is brined in sugar/salt brine for 3 hrs. Pat dry, rub with mixture of salt, white&black pepper & pepper powder.  Stack lit coals on top of unlit coals on one side of the grill, then put soaked hickory&applewood. Put a tray of water on the other side without the coals. The brisket was only 3# so I put it in foil, fat side down. Cooked for 3 hrs. Then flipped, added more coals and cooked for 2 hrs. Let it sit for 30 mins then slice against the grain. Add onto tacos, add guac, and then the onion/braising liquid mixture. 

Ancho Sauce: crema, smoked ancho chili powder, lime juice. 
Potato salad: boiled yukon golds *they're the best for potato salad in terms of starch*, add chopped celery red onions, chopped potatoes and anchos sauce, mix.
grilled corn: grill corn to blacken kernels, roll in ancho sauce then roll in cotija cheese. 

Margaritas: slice pineapple, grill it, then add frozen dragon fruit, lime juice, pineapple, pineapple juice  and tequila and blend. Glasses rimmed with salt or turbinato sugar/hot pepper blend

pics:
20150704_195938.jpg

20150704_195915.jpg

20150704_190645.jpg

20150704_131320.jpg

20150704_131421.jpg
i recently revisited the rellenos thread, and checked out your collective set of food, and it really makes a lot of sense to me.

this is delicious sounding to me, with a lot of things i quite like ...

the pictures are way better for having been taken outside too ...

even though i believe food photography goes a long way towards winning, i feel like that plate of tacos reminds of the food i used to buy from the trunk of the guy who visits our shop's parking lot and/or the tray of take-out mexican that D3 posted the other night ...

i don't know ... taste-forward and direct ...

so, yum ...
Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
Wow
:dance:
This thread is so full of Awesome, I hope it doesn't break the Internet :P

Wife having fun with ingredients, and Condiments  :D

Yellow, Congo,Inca red Drop,Aji Fantasy, Bishops hat

Jar on Left is Inca Berry's (pioneapple ground cherry) Inca Red drop Peppers, & Bishops Hat,With Cheap 100% Blue Agave Tequila (Camerena), Jar on Right is Fresh harvested Currants With cheap Vodka (Svedka)

Currant Vodka infusion in the Aeropress 

Twice through the Aeropress With each infusion (1st without filter, then combine and run again with filter)

Combined liquors in a Mason jar, Garnished with a Currant, A Pie Cherry, A fresh Inca Berry, Jalapeno tip, and Chocolate BrainStrain Rings

Fresh and dried; Chocolate Brainstrain Pods

:cheers:
Aeropress vodka whaaaah?!??!

I need a moment to relish in all that awesome ...

Tell me about this Aeropress bidness ;)

some prep pics. more detailed final post tomorrow sometime.  

First I started out with a pork belly trimmed in a few pieces. I've never smoked something like this before, so it was a learning experience. 

then I dry rubbed and injected it. here is the homemade dry rub I used. I'll add more detail when I'm thinking about it tomorrow.

after smoking for a while, the pork belly looked something like this:

It seems it was then time for a wrap. So I added a bit more rub, and a pour of apple juice; and then wrapped the belly pieces in aluminum foil. Returned to the smoker (gas grill) for a bit. Then it looked something like this:

After that, I opened the foil and vented the steam for about ten minutes. Then I re-wrapped the belly and placed it in a cooler for about one hour. Once this was done, I took it out and separated the fat from the meat. The meat ended up looking something like this:

Pulling it apart a bit more resulted in this:

now to assemble. 

Smoked Pork Belly Shepherd's Tacos with Habanero Salsa

I was a little apprehensive about this pork belly smoke from prior experience. However, smoking using my gas grill has worked before on smaller jobs, so I hoped it would hold up to something a bit more complex. At some point previously, I read that foiled wood chips worked. Once the cherry chips got going, it seemed to go alright. I went with a low and slow smoke method, or as best I could manage with water filled plates. I had to modify also cooking times and methods based on my instincts. A dry rub was created, and liquid was injected into the pork belly prior to cooking. A number of ingredients in my PoL were struck during the course of preparation for one reason or another. 

Ingredient List (revised)

Pork Belly
Oregano
Paprika
Sea Salt
Dry Mustard
Brown sugar
chili powder
Cayenne Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
sour orange juice
orange habanero
tomatoes
red onion
yellow onion
fresh garlic
olive oil
corn tortillas
corn oil
apple juice
Worcestershire sauce
soy sauce
cumin
canned pineapple
canned pineapple juice
yellow mustard
cooking spray
anything I forgot

To cook pork belly:

0.           Preheat your smoking device something in the range of 235-250 degrees. I was having a bit more problems with the temperature due to user error, so mine was closer to 300 degrees. The cooking times were shortened accordingly. I used water pans on a  gas grill and foil wrapped wood chips.
1.           First clean and prepare your pork belly as desired. Then chop pork belly into several pieces.
2.           Using one of the small pieces, boil some water with a high content of salt in a skillet. Flip the pork belly skin side down in the skillet, cover, and then boil for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. ** I only did this for one piece as a test; to see if it caused any change in the skin. This may require further experimentation to see if I can solve a problem I was trying to get around. Maybe simply cooking skin side up would do it. hmm..Anyway I digress.
2.           After or before you have done this, mix up a batch of dry rub. I used 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tsp. chile powder, 2 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp approx. salt, 1 tsp. dry mustard, 1 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, some cayenne pepper, and 1/2 tsp. onion powder. 
3.           Then you need to mix up your injection juice. I used 2 cups apple juice; and about a tablespoon each of Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce
4.           In terms of order, I first coated the pork belly with some cooking spray, and then dragged them well through the dry rub. Following this, I did my best to inject the belly where I could with the apple juice mixture.
5.           Once this was done, I transferred the meat pieces to the smoking device and closed the lid. At first my woodchips weren't smoking. But after a while they got going.
6.           I let the meat sit in the smoker for about 2 hours or so. Due to coloration and perhaps the higher temperature it occurred to me at about the two hour mark plus or minus to get out a food thermometer to check the doneness. The needle easily slid through the meat in sections. At other points it met a little resistance, but I figured hopefully this was manageable. After the two hour mark, I removed the meat from the grill temporarily, and let it sit in an aluminum foil tray. I crumbled some dry rub on top of the meat, and poured in a bit of apple juice. I then closed up the foil and placed the meat back on the grill for about half an hour.
7.           After the meat was done, I opened the packet to let the steam out for about ten minutes. Then I transferred the meat to a cooler to rest for one hour.
8.           I was going to glaze it at the end, but after considering this, it didn't seem necessary.
9.           Then it was just a matter of slicing the meat and separating out the fat and pulled meat.
10.         Ended up tasting pretty good.

To cook the onions/garlic/tortillas:

1.           First, peel and slice three garlic cloves. Also peel and slice a small white onion.
2.           In a skillet, add three tablespoons "Corn oil." You will want at least this amount, I think, because the oil will be necessary later.
3.           Open a can of pineapple chunks, and transfer to a sealable container. Add about a tablespoon of the pineapple juice to the skillet with the corn oil.
4.           Transfer the garlic and onion pieces to the skillet and toss to coat. Cook for ten minutes on medium until limp and/or browned.
5.           Remove the garlic / onions from the skillet, but keep the oil in the pan.
6.           Once you are ready, reheat the oil and open a bag of fresh corn tortillas. Place a single tortilla in the pan, moving the oil around a bit, for 20 seconds on a side. Do this for as many tortillas as you desire.
7.           Remove from heat to drain on paper towels.

To make the Habanero Salsa:

1.           Prepare each of this fresh ingredients as desired: 3 orange habaneros, a red onion, and two tomatoes.
2.           Once you have pieces, place all these in a mixing bowl.
3.           Add two pours of sour orange juice, some sea salt, and two tablespoons of olive oil. Toss this well.
4.           In my case, I wanted a thinner texture to the salsa, so I threw the whole lot into the blender and chopped in quick bursts until satisfied. A knife was used to stir.
5.           Transfer salsa to a container and set aside until needed.

To assemble taco:

1.           First start out with the tortillas you cooked in the corn oil mixture. Place these on a plate. Then add some smoked pork belly meat, trying to test for tender meat. On top of this place some of the cooked garlic/onion, followed by some thinly sliced sections of canned pineapple chunks on the right side.
2.           Lastly, add some of the habanero salsa opposite the pineapple slices.
3.           Serve. 

Smoked Pork Belly Shepherd's Tacos with Habanero Salsa

I was a little apprehensive about this pork belly smoke from prior experience. However, smoking using my gas grill has worked before on smaller jobs, so I hoped it would hold up to something a bit more complex. At some point previously, I read that foiled wood chips worked. Once the cherry chips got going, it seemed to go alright. I went with a low and slow smoke method, or as best I could manage with water filled plates. I had to modify also cooking times and methods based on my instincts. A dry rub was created, and liquid was injected into the pork belly prior to cooking. A number of ingredients in my PoL were struck during the course of preparation for one reason or another. 

Ingredient List (revised)

Pork Belly
Oregano
Paprika
Sea Salt
Dry Mustard
Brown sugar
chili powder
Cayenne Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
sour orange juice
orange habanero
tomatoes
red onion
yellow onion
fresh garlic
olive oil
corn tortillas
corn oil
apple juice
Worcestershire sauce
soy sauce
cumin
canned pineapple
canned pineapple juice
yellow mustard
cooking spray
anything I forgot

To cook pork belly:

0.           Preheat your smoking device something in the range of 235-250 degrees. I was having a bit more problems with the temperature due to user error, so mine was closer to 300 degrees. The cooking times were shortened accordingly. I used water pans on a  gas grill and foil wrapped wood chips.
1.           First clean and prepare your pork belly as desired. Then chop pork belly into several pieces.
2.           Using one of the small pieces, boil some water with a high content of salt in a skillet. Flip the pork belly skin side down in the skillet, cover, and then boil for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. ** I only did this for one piece as a test; to see if it caused any change in the skin. This may require further experimentation to see if I can solve a problem I was trying to get around. Maybe simply cooking skin side up would do it. hmm..Anyway I digress.
2.           After or before you have done this, mix up a batch of dry rub. I used 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tsp. chile powder, 2 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp approx. salt, 1 tsp. dry mustard, 1 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, some cayenne pepper, and 1/2 tsp. onion powder. 
3.           Then you need to mix up your injection juice. I used 2 cups apple juice; and about a tablespoon each of Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce
4.           In terms of order, I first coated the pork belly with some cooking spray, and then dragged them well through the dry rub. Following this, I did my best to inject the belly where I could with the apple juice mixture.
5.           Once this was done, I transferred the meat pieces to the smoking device and closed the lid. At first my woodchips weren't smoking. But after a while they got going.
6.           I let the meat sit in the smoker for about 2 hours or so. Due to coloration and perhaps the higher temperature it occurred to me at about the two hour mark plus or minus to get out a food thermometer to check the doneness. The needle easily slid through the meat in sections. At other points it met a little resistance, but I figured hopefully this was manageable. After the two hour mark, I removed the meat from the grill temporarily, and let it sit in an aluminum foil tray. I crumbled some dry rub on top of the meat, and poured in a bit of apple juice. I then closed up the foil and placed the meat back on the grill for about half an hour.
7.           After the meat was done, I opened the packet to let the steam out for about ten minutes. Then I transferred the meat to a cooler to rest for one hour.
8.           I was going to glaze it at the end, but after considering this, it didn't seem necessary.
9.           Then it was just a matter of slicing the meat and separating out the fat and pulled meat.
10.         Ended up tasting pretty good.

To cook the onions/garlic/tortillas:

1.           First, peel and slice three garlic cloves. Also peel and slice a small white onion.
2.           In a skillet, add three tablespoons "Corn oil." You will want at least this amount, I think, because the oil will be necessary later.
3.           Open a can of pineapple chunks, and transfer to a sealable container. Add about a tablespoon of the pineapple juice to the skillet with the corn oil.
4.           Transfer the garlic and onion pieces to the skillet and toss to coat. Cook for ten minutes on medium until limp and/or browned.
5.           Remove the garlic / onions from the skillet, but keep the oil in the pan.
6.           Once you are ready, reheat the oil and open a bag of fresh corn tortillas. Place a single tortilla in the pan, moving the oil around a bit, for 20 seconds on a side. Do this for as many tortillas as you desire.
7.           Remove from heat to drain on paper towels.

To make the Habanero Salsa:

1.           Prepare each of this fresh ingredients as desired: 3 orange habaneros, a red onion, and two tomatoes.
2.           Once you have pieces, place all these in a mixing bowl.
3.           Add two pours of sour orange juice, some sea salt, and two tablespoons of olive oil. Toss this well.
4.           In my case, I wanted a thinner texture to the salsa, so I threw the whole lot into the blender and chopped in quick bursts until satisfied. A knife was used to stir.
5.           Transfer salsa to a container and set aside until needed.

To assemble taco:

1.           First start out with the tortillas you cooked in the corn oil mixture. Place these on a plate. Then add some smoked pork belly meat, trying to test for tender meat. On top of this place some of the cooked garlic/onion, followed by some thinly sliced sections of canned pineapple chunks on the right side.
2.           Lastly, add some of the habanero salsa opposite the pineapple slices.
3.           Serve. 

Wow. That trio looks righteous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back