• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Mexi-Que Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
168xwjt.jpg

Piqued my interest on that one!

SnF's Fusion Que!

Apple wood smoked skirt steak enchilada, 'burnt ends' skirt steak taco, elotes succotash and frijoles charros with cilantro rice.  

nqwnb5.jpg

Everything really came together well for these dishes- one of the better plates in recent memory.

Succotash is a staple dish at most of our bbqs.  Traditionally it's made with bacon, tomatoes, lima beans and peppers.  I'm not big on lima beans though, and this was the fusion TD afterall - so what to do?  Combine Elotes with the succotash of course!  In Chicago you can find vendors selling Elotes on the street all over the west side.  It's roasted ears of corn slathered with some mayo, squeeze of lime and topped with chili powder and sometimes a bit of cheese.  Sounds freaky, but it's tasty as all get out.  Combining the succotash with the elotes really matched well.    

Frijoles Charros are basically slow cooked mexican beans with onion, garlic and bacon.  My version was made with home smoked pork belly, roasted anaheims and garlic from the garden.  

2m4a849.jpg

This is my go to enchilada sauce - a touch sweet with nice heat and a bit of tang; my version of the classic 'red' enchilada sauce available in cans on the grocery store shelves.  

14vtrw3.jpg

The skirt steak smoked at 215 degrees for about 2 hours over indirect heat.  After it came off the smoker I noticed the strips that were on the bottom were nicely crisped, so I put them aside and made 'burnt ends' tacos with em.  Cause that salty/smoky/crunch was just damn divine!!  

c2lgk.jpg

Oh yeah!!

vqgr5k.jpg

Recipes:

First - get drunk on my Margaritas:

1 cup tequila (used Hornitos)
1 cup triple sec
1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup water
1/2 cup turbinado sugar

Dissolve the sugar in the water.  Add booze.  Add lime juice.  Cut wedge of lime, run along rim of glass.  Dip glass in salt.  Pour in margarita.  Add ice.  Tastes damn good!

Second - vittles:

Applewood smoked skirt steak -

2lbs inside skirt, well trimmed.  
2 tbsp chipotle based powder blend
2 tbsp paprika based bbq powder blend

Mix rubs, sprinkle on meat.  Add meat to a hot smoker and cook over medium low heat for about 2 hours.  Remove, rest and shred.

3 pepper enchilada sauce - 

1 six oz can tomato paste
2 dried ancho chiles
3 dried bahamian goat chiles
3 dried ripe jalapenos
4 oz roasted anaheim chiles
1 oz dried onion shoots
2 cups homemade chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, minced

Warm chiles in a skillet till fragrant.  Add to a sauce pan with the rest of the ingredients.  Stir well and bring just to a boil - then turn down heat, cover pan and simmer for an hour or so.  Once everything has softened up nicely blend well with an immersion blender.  Remove and keep warm.

To assemble enchiladas -

8oz shredded skirt steak
2 oz grilled onion
2 oz grilled poblano pepper
4 oz shredded jack cheese
Enchilada sauce

Add about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce to a 9x9 baking dish.  Mix meat, onion, poblano and 2 oz of the cheese.  Add a touch of the enchilada sauce to get everything happy.  Place about 3 tbsp filling into a warm tortilla, fold over and put into the baking dish.  Rinse, repeat till dish is full.  Cover with more enchilada sauce and more cheese.  Bake at 325 degrees till everything is all delicious, then plate and serve.

Frijoles Charros - 

8oz dried black beans
6 oz home smoked pork belly
4 oz roasted anaheim peppers
1/2 a medium onion - chopped
2 cloves of garlic - minced
2 tsp salt
2 tsp cumin
6 cups water - divided

Cover the beans with 3 cups water.  Bring to a boil.  A 1 tbsp salt and turn off heat.  Stir well and cover pot.  Set aside for one hour.  Make another margarita.  Grab the wife and kiss her madly.  Ok - an hour has magically passed!  Drain and rinse beans.  Add them back to the pot, cover with 3 cups water.  Add pork belly, peppers, onion, garlic, cumin and 1 tsp salt.  Bring up to a boil, turn heat to low, cover pot and cook for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.  When beans are soft taste and add the other tsp salt if needed.  

Elotes Succotash -

4 ears sweet corn - roasted
1 medium tomato - chopped
2 jalapenos - diced
2 oz pork belly, diced
4 oz fresh mushrooms - quartered 
1 clove garlic - minced
1/4 medium onion - diced
2 tbsp aioli
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp dried aleppo flakes (courtesy buddy)
1 tsp olive oil

Cut the kernels from the cobs, add to a mixing bowl.  Add the chopped tomato and the jalapenos.  In a small saute pan heat the olive oil over medium heat and cook down the onion and mushrooms till just done, about 8-10 minutes.  During the last minute of cooking add the garlic and stir.  Remove from heat.   While that cools make the dressing; combine the aioli with the aleppo flakes and 1 tbsp of lime juice.  Toss everything together in the bowl and add the dressing.  Taste, add salt and more pepper flake to taste - might need a touch more lime (mine did).  Mold into ramekins and chill.

Assemble the plate:

Mold rice into small ramekin, dress frijoles charros around the rice.  Turn out the elotes succotash onto the plate next to the beans and rice.  Add one of the smoked skirt steak enchilada and garnish with a taco made from the 'burnt ends' steak trimmings (dressed with salsa and a bit of crema).  Pour another margarita and high five the wife.  Life is good.  :)

hot stuff said:
What I'm smoking on my belated Father's Day, while smoking chicken legs with nectarine branches from my tree (my bbq sauce is made with 1 qt. of nectarine jam).

REPORTED!   :lol:  

Carne Asada Spare Ribs and BBQ Chicken Enchilada combo platter

Ingredients with methods first:

Carne Asada marinade:  I pulled the membrane off of the back of the ribs and poked the ribs with a fork to make sure the marinade would soak into the meat.  I soaked the ribs in the marinade for about 24 hours
1 1/2 cups OJ
1 cup Lemon juice
2/3 cup Lime juice
1 Head of garlic
1 cup of soy sauce
1Tbs of canned chipotle pepper
2 Tbs chili powder
2 Tbs Cumin
2 Tbs paprika
2 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbs black pepper
1 bunch of Cilantro
1 cup olive oil

Verde sauce:  I sauteed the tomatillos, serranos, onion, and garlic in the pan until the onions began to caramelize then blended in the ninja with the cilantro.  I then added salt and pepper to taste.
6 tomatillos
5 serranos
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 a white onion
1 bunch of cilantro

Carne Asada ribs:  Marintated the ribs for 24 hrs and smoked with mesquite wood for 3 hours.  Wrapped the racks with foil and added a 1/4 cup of the marinade and left in smoker for another 2 hrs.  After the 2 hrs I unwrapped the racks and put back in the smoker for another 1/2 hr.  I served the verde sauce on the side to go with the ribs.
2 racks of spare ribs 
1/2 cup of marinade

BBQ chicken enchiladas:  First I seasoned and smoked the chicken with mesquite wood for about 3 hours.  After the chicken was done, I shredded it and set aside.  I heated olive oil in a skillet at medium heat.  Put in the chicken, onion, green bell pepper, garlic and cooked together until veggies had softened up.  Then I added the cream cheese and 1/2 the Monterey jack cheese and stirred until melted.  Then I stirred in the mixture of tomato sauce, bbq sauce, chili powder, oregano, salt, and black pepper.  Once that was mixed I pulled off the heat and set aside to cool down.  Once cooled off I seperated the mixture into seperate torillas, rolled them up, and set into a pan.  After in the pan I covered with enchilada sauce and the rest of the Monterey jack cheese and put in the over @350 for 35 mins
3 chicken breast with a mixed cajun seasoning
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 1/2 cloves garlic
1 cup cream cheese
2 cups Monterey jack cheese
8 oz of tomato sauce
8 oz of bbq sauce
1 tbs chili powder
1 tbs dried parsley
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
8" torillas

Enchilada sauce:  Heated olive oil in a saucepan at medium heat.  Added garlic and sauteed for a couple of minutes, then added onion, oregano, chili powder, basil, black pepper, salt, cumin, parsley, salsa, water and tomato sauce.  Stirred all that together and brought to a boil.  Reduced heat and simmered for 15-20 minutes.
1 tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp minced onion
1/2 tsp oregano
2 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp basil
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp parsley
1/4 of fresh made salsa
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups of water

Mexican infused cole slaw:  I chopped the cabbage, carrots, onion, poblano pepper, and cilantro and put in a bowl.  Then added the dressing and the can of black beans and tossed to spread the dressing evenly.  I used salt and pepper to taste and then put the bowl in the fridge to chill for 2 hours.
1 head of cabbage cored
4 carrots
1 medium white onion
2 poblano peppers
1 bunch of cilantro
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup mustard
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup sugar
1 can black beans
Salt and pepper to taste

Mexican smoked corn:  I smoked the ears of corn between 1 1/2 - 2 hrs.  Pulled the husk back and buttered sprinkled chili powder, salt and cotija cheese on the ears.
Fresh sweet corn
Chili powder
salt
butter
cotija cheese

Watermelon Margarita:  I first cut up a watermelon into 1 1/2" cubes and put in a bag in the freezer to freeze for later.  I used some margarita mix, Jose cuervo silver tequila (12 ozs liquid total),  the frozen watermelon cubes, and blended them in the Margaritaville Machine with a little ice to get the right consistency.
1 Watermelon cut into cubes
Jose cuervo margarita mix
Jose curervo silver tequila
ice to blend for consistency

i made Watermelon Fire and Ice Salsa...
Then, I ran the odd shaped leftover watermelon chunks through the Aeropress (2x. 1st without filter, than again with),

than made a Watermelon cooler with that Juice, Tequila, Ginger ale, and the squeezin's of 1/4 small lime, I garnished with a lime and 1/2 Jalapeno

Watermelon Fire & Ice Salsa:
(@ least that's what my Wife calls it, she got the recipe from a coworker, & tried to tell me by memory how to make it.
It might be missing a couple things, but it was Tasty)

2   cups chopped Watermelon
 2   tablespoons Lime juice
 1   1/2 diced Jalapeno peppers
 1/4 cup diced small purple spring onions

thanks for lookin'

:cheers:

served with Grilled/Smoked skirt steak rice&beans 'Taco Salad' in a Watermelon Bowl !
(Why ? b/c, what says American BBQ more than Watermelon, Doritos, and Meat ?)

:D

if you scrape the insides of the watermelon well, than blot dry with a paper towel, it actually stays pretty dry (it smelled like watermelon, but it didn't leak juice, or make my chips soggy or anything) I'd do it again  :)

Hot Stuff's BBQ Chicken Torta with Mex-Tex Coleslaw with a side of Homemade Pork-n-Beans
Well my bolillos went flat but I found some mini ones at the Store so I had to use them instead.
Mex-Tex Coleslaw
[SIZE=10pt]·[/SIZE]1 cup mayonnaise
[SIZE=10pt]· [/SIZE]Juice of two limes
[SIZE=10pt]·[/SIZE]3  teaspoon salt
* 2 lbs jimica shredded
1 large cucumber shredded
[SIZE=10pt]·[/SIZE]1 teaspoon ground black pepper
[SIZE=10pt]·[/SIZE]1 medium red head  cabbage shredded
[SIZE=10pt]·[/SIZE]1 manzano chili diced
[SIZE=10pt]·[/SIZE]1 red onion
[SIZE=10pt]·[/SIZE]2 cups of sugar

BBQ SAUCE
1 qt. of nectarine jam
1 cup brown sugar
30 oz tomato sauce
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbl. Salt
Cup  Worcestershire
3 tbl. My own Cajun spice
2 cups cane vinegar

Chicken rub
1 cup brown sugar
4.tbl. Salt
2 tlb. My Cajun spice

Spread
2 New Mex chilies
2 Guajillo chilies
1 tsp. Minced garlic
1 tsp. salt
½ cup mayonnaise

Rehydrate chilies, blend with rest of the ingredients in a blender

Pork-n-beans
1 lb pinto beans
6 cups water
½ lb bacon
1 tbl minced garlic
2 tsp salt

Add 1.5 cups of bbq sauce when beans are cooked.

So finally for the Torta, I put the spread on both side of the roll. Then I laid the chopped bbq chicken on one side.  I covered that with the Mex-Tex coleslaw and topped it off with some sliced avacodo.

Mexi-Que Taco Salad, and Watermelon Tequila Cooler

Bicentennial PoL

a little produce and condiment Fun  :party:

Skirt steak cooked over Gas w/ an add on smoker box with Hickory and Cherry Chips
skirt Steak Marinade was simple, 1 shot of Tequila, 1/2 Bottle of LuckyDog Brown Label,1 tsp minced Garlic, 1/4 dried Chocolate Brainstrain Pod, and a couple generous shakes of Worcestershire sauce.

Watermelon Fire & Ice Salsa:
 2   cups chopped Watermelon
 2   tablespoons Lime juice
 1   1/2 diced Jalapeno peppers
 1/4 cup diced small purple onions

Watermelon Cooler:
Tequila, Filtered Watermelon juice, Ginger Ale, lime juice, 1/2 jalapeno & lime Garnish

Taco Salad !

Taco Salad was; Lettuce, Doritos, Spanish rice, black beans,American-'Mexican 3 cheese blend', Fresh Salsa with very little Cilantro, Avocado, Dee Roo Stardust, and i think that's it

For those of you wondering the Watermelon bowl was blotted dry, and didn't leak, or make anything soggy it worked out really well
:party:

[SIZE=20pt]Joyner’s Pig Wig pork fest part duo! Viva la Mexico! [/SIZE]
·        8 – 10 pound pork butt
·        4 oz. Goya Mojo Chipotle Marinade
·        4 oz. Goya Adobo All Purpose Seasoning
Inject pork with Mojo, wipe down and rub with Adobo. Smoke at 225 – 260 until 187 – 190, pull then let rest for 1 hour.

[SIZE=18pt]Jicama Slaw[/SIZE]
·        3 tablespoons lime juice
·        1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
·        2 jalapenos, diced
·        6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
·        1 teaspoon sugar
·        6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
·        1 teaspoon salt
·        1 teaspoon pepper
·        1 1/2 cups peeled, julienned jicama
·        1 cup, peeled, julienned carrots
·        1 cup shredded red cabbage
·        1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
·        1 cup julienned English cucumber
·        1/2 cup julienned red bell pepper
·        1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
In a large mixing bowl add lime juice, jalapeno, rice wine vinegar, sugar, and extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
Combine the jicama, carrots, cabbage and onion, cucumber, red pepper and cilantro into dressing and toss.
Let sit for 15 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times. Serve.

[SIZE=18pt]Rum and Coke[/SIZE]

4 oz. rum
8 oz. coke from MX
1.8th lime from MX

11728934_1033121866721539_6593451933032592030_o.jpg

Jicama Slaw

11054435_1033123370054722_4047175192099838966_o.jpg

Pork

905773_1033123383388054_8779141929906634829_o.jpg

More pork

11708024_1033123366721389_6890276066256092206_o.jpg

A taco and a slider...

11696360_1033123363388056_3253359330316361374_o.jpg

What better than LDHS Brown label to help out the Chipoltle pork fest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back