• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Savory Chocolate Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be interesting.....

Beef, red wine, Killians Red, and dark chocolate:

PoeyrcD.jpg

Ready or not, It all comes together this afternoon. ;)

Ok, this is really just the start.... hopefully it will get some others to thinking.

I'll call this Champurrado-Inspired Corn Muffins

Champurrado is what some know as "Mexican hot chocolate" - a chocolate version of the popular atole drink. Champurrado includes masa in the recipe. You can use your favorite search engine to find many, many Champurrado recipes, but here's a link to one if you are feeling lazy. Anyhow, this illustrates what South- and Latin-Americans have known for a long time - that chocolate and corn just go together. Although Champurrado is sweet, I added no sugar to this. Oh, hogleg, I am just making this up as I go along, so your guess is as good as mine!

1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon cilantro
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk (may need more or less)
1 egg
1 cup grated Mexican 4-cheese mix
1 8-oz can cream-style corn

In a bowl, stir together all dry ingredients. Whisk in the egg and 1/3 cup of milk. Add a bit more milk if the batter is too stiff. Gently stir in the cream corn and cheese. If needed, add more milk to yield a batter consistency the same as for regular corn muffins. (It's going to be a little thick, but not too thick.) Let the batter rest while you preheat the oven to 400F. Line a muffin tin with foil muffin papers and spray with no-stick. Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in pan a few minutes, then remove from pan and cool further on a wire rack. Spread on some melted butter and enjoy!

Corn muffin mix and seasonings. This pic has only 1 tablespoon of chocolate but I added another tablespoon after mixing this together.
m1.jpg

All stirred together
m2.jpg

Whisked in the egg and milk
m3.jpg

In goes the cream-style corn and cheese (the corn is under the cheese)
m4.jpg

Egg and milk stirred in
m6.jpg

The finished muffins - these are pillow-soft tender
m8.jpg

These are tasty on their own, but adding butter really pushes them over the top - YUM!
m5.jpg

paulky_2000 said:
This should be interesting.....

Beef, red wine, Killians Red, and dark chocolate:

PoeyrcD.jpg

Ready or not, It all comes together this afternoon. ;)

I think we watched the same video recipe.....Looks tasty already with the ingredients :cheers:

I saw Guiness in the original recipe and see you changed to that now, I was going to use a chocolate malt I saw instead.  

Good luck, it looked excellent.

Scoville DeVille said:
I won't even let you IN my car until you stop the bleeding. :rofl:

lofl The bleeding is the last of your worries right now. Your car has 4wd and clean plates, right?

Il4jvaU.jpg

And hotstuff, go ahead and give 911 the National Guard a ring. For some reason I can't find my phone.

edit: Goddammit. All that work and I forgot the POL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back