• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Show Your Heritage Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nebraska Runzas

Action shot

I spent most my teenage years in Nebraska and Runza is a fast food chain that is primarily in that state. I've been craving one for years so i'm glad I took this opportunity to make them. Even if I don't get any votes it was worth it. 

Ok, here goes....

HAPPY FAMILY HERITAGE:

Story....
I was born in Flint, Michigan(when it was a decent place to live :)  At the age of 4 my parents said **** it, were moving and decided to move west.  We loaded up a U-Haul truck and made the 3 day drive to Cali-for-nia.  While there were introduced to Asian food that we didn't ever eat while in Michigan.  One dish we always ordered out was the Happy Family.  Basically a stir fry of Beef, Chicken, Shrimp, and Vegetables in a brown sauce.  After we moved to Ohio from California it remained one of the dishes that my mom would always make and made it part of our family heritage.

Recipe:
This was more work than I thought :)  I'm sure I may miss a step but I'm in a hurry, my apologies :)

8 shrimp- size 21-25
Flank Steak
Boneless Chicken breast- Leg meat is better but I didn't have any
Broccoli
Baby Corn
Snow peapods
DicedRed pepper
Diced Green Pepper
Diced Habanero- I added this for heat
Diced Hot Cherry Pepper-  Again for heat

Mix and shake well the following:
3/4 cup chicken broth
1.5 T Oyster sauce
1.5 T Light soy sauce
1.5 T Dark soy sauce
3/4 T sugar
1/2 T salt
1/2 T white pepper

Seperate and prepare on the side:

1 T Corn Starch mixed with 1/4 cup water
2 T cooking wine
1/2 t ginger minced
1/2 t fresh garlic
1 t sesame oil
6 T water
1 egg white

Mix and shake chicken broth, oyster sauce, light and dark soy, sugar, salt white pepper, and cooking wine.
Shell shrimp but leave the tail on.  marinate shrimp in 1/2 egg white, salt and pepper.
Slice flank steak and marinate with whole egg beaten.
Slice chicken and marinate same as flank steak.

Par boil veggies for 5 minutes and then run through cold water
Heat wok/pan and put 3 T soy bean oil in.  Saute shrimp, chicken, beef.  Set meat aside, and wash pan.

Heat up wok/pan again with 2 T oil.  Add veggies, garlic, ginger, etc.  Add sauce and all meats with cornstarch mixture.  Saute until sauce is thickened and add sesame oil last.

For the fried rice I simply used a rice-vermicelli mix and sauteed it with 2T butter.  Wait until the vermicelli is browned and add 2 cups water with peas and diced carrots.  Mixed in a little brown sugar, soy sauce and turmeric.  Bring to a rapid boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 min.

My ingredients list.

2015-03-08%252020.59.48.jpg

2015-03-08%252020.47.25.jpg

OK. We started making the Yiddish cream to accompany my plate.

2015-03-08%252021.10.45.jpg

2015-03-08%252021.16.27.jpg

2015-03-08%252021.17.27.jpg

This is a cream of mushroom with tomatoes, herbs and spices. It's pretty simple but delicious. In my family prepared in this way. It is a tradition legacy from another continent, which I think my grandparents have adapted the recipe to local ingredients. That I do not know

2015-03-08%252021.22.05.jpg

My First TD so i'm hoping I didn't F anything up. Everyone has some awesome looking dishes so far. Love this TD topic. I mean everyone did very original types of chili on the last but the variety is something special in this one. 

D3monic said:
My First TD so i'm hoping I didn't F anything up. Everyone has some awesome looking dishes so far. Love this TD topic. I mean everyone did very original types of chili on the last but the variety is something special in this one.
Same here, it was fun and I am glad to get my first TD under my belt.

Columbus was a DoucheCanoe  Fish and Chips.  

Fish not spice was the reason the first Europeans came to N. America , no matter what Columbus might have claimed . European Fishermen were visiting the Grand Banks for Cod  long before he sailed. 

This is a triple tie in to my heritage on my mothers side.    Scots, Yorkshire and Canadian.  

Fish and chips is a staple of both Scotland and Yorkshire  and Cod is as  Canadian  as maple syrup, hockey or poutine. 

Cod pieces. I was given this by a friend .It was handjigged down in Newfoundland . He likes to chunk his fish fairly small before freezing so no massive fillets. 

potatoes  cut into chunky fries
flour  aprox 400 g for batter, extra in a separate wide bowl for dusting fish
beer
club soda
coleslaw mix
mayo
pickle
lemon
homemade horseradish
homade relish
baking powder
salt
thai chile peppers. 

Chips

The fries were blanched for 5 mins at 320 F    drained and cooled , then refried at 370 F

Fish
batter was very simple.  
flour 400 g  3 tsp of baking soda  with full can of beer that I cooled down with ice, most of a can of cold club soda   to form a thick batter

the egg was beaten in a separate bowl then combined with a cup of cold water for a wash
extra flour in separate bowl 

dip int egg wash, into the flour to coat lightly, then into the batter .    slowly wave the battered fish into the oil and then drop

Tartar

5 finely sliced chiles
three Tbsp of mayo
small dill cut into chunky cubes
zest of 1 lemon
two tbsp of homemade horseradish  storebought would work fine
1 tbsp of homemade relish   again storebought is good too
lemon juice
salt and pepper

Coleslaw

bagged slaw

dressing 

mayo 4 tbsp
celery seed 1 tsp
apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp
salt and pepper 
1 tsp sugar

kpCwGJX.jpg

OXTxqRu.jpg

ZcUTdW3.jpg

0xvOaFx.jpg

6LehUwS.jpg

Grilled chicken with rice and mushrooms yiddish cream

My plate is an ancient recipe. I remember to my grandmother make it, my mother also do it, but however my wife will not know as it should be many times when she try, Then I must take the kitchen.
It is an extremely simple recipe. Its roots date from east-northern Europe (Ukraine / Poland) and is brought by my immigrant ancestors after first World War that they emigrating to America. The original recipe was cooking a whole chicken in the oven. But I modified using not whole chicken because my children do not want chicken breast. And don't like too me. So this time I used backsides and drawing the grill with charcoal on, they were to grilled. I must
say that this is the first time I cook grilled chicken for this recipe. I'm sure it will be very good. The chicken be accompany with rice and cream de champigñon.

The yiddish cream

Ingredients:

1 17oz milk cream
1 caned tomatoes (I use  homemade tomato confit from my tomato grow)
1 mushroms caned
3 5oz butter
5 jamaican hot yellow pepper
3 garlic cloves
a bit of whiskey
spices, salt
a bundle bunch of parsley and celery

Directions:

Peeled the garlic cloves and stir-fry in the pan with olive oil. Add the butter, heating to melt and add the mushrooms cuting in slices. Cook until to the dismiss liquid and drain. add the whiskey and the fire burning appears on mushrooms.
Once consumed alcohol, the fire goes out
After add the milk cream, spices and the bundle bunch of parsley and celery and the tomatoes. Cookat mild fire for a few minutes at
and down when boil. Finally add a spoon of flour to cream thicken Cook at low heat other few minutes. After it should remove and
discard the bundle of parsley and celery. We place tied to deliver its taste but do not want the plant remains in our cream.
Make the rice to "al dente" and reserve for serving with the chicken.

Put on the cream and bon apetit!

2015-03-08%252021.43.29-2.jpg

2015-03-08%252021.43.39.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back