• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Soup n Sammie Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
P1ckle's Russian Comfort Extravaganza

The weather has outside has been frightful here the last few days and I can't think of any other food that could keep you going during harsh times than some good ole' fashioned Russian comfort food.....Borscht mainly...But what kind of sandwich could it be paired with :think: .....I don't know so I made my own version of a BLT.  This is also my first TD, so I'm a little nervous and I'm not completely up to speed with the TD and etiquette but I'm still giving it a shot.  Here goes

The Borscht

8-10 cups of water (depends on how much broth you want)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 lemon
2 bay leaves
3 giant beets
3 medium carrots
3 Yukon gold potatoes
2 celery stalks
1/2 bunch of fresh dill (chopped finely)
3 liberal pinches of salt
1 clove of garlic
some pepper
enough sour cream for each bowl (1 big dollop)
Superhot powder ( My wife hates hot food so I have to add mine later when I'm about to eat it)

Yeah.....Yeah....I know...I don't have cabbage on the ingredient list.  Cabbage makes me swell up like a balloon so I don't like eating it.  I have a solution though....You'll find out soon

Fill a large pot with the water, add salt, oil and the juice of half the lemon.  Turn stove on medium heat.  Peel and chop beets into thirds or fourths to cook faster and more evenly. Gently drop beats in the hot water so that you don't splash yourself.  While beets are cooking away finely chop your onion and drop it into the water as well.  Add the bay leaves to the pot then finish peeling/chopping the potatoes, celery, and carrots and add them to the pot too. Season with pepper to your desired taste ( I like lots ). While the beets are simmering the top of the broth will get foamy.  Skim the foam off and add more oil if you have to. 

When the beets are tender enough to where a fork can stab them without much effort fish them out of the broth and put them in a bowl of ice water to cool.  Once cooled enough fish them out and grate with the largest holes and your cheese grater (the grated beets have the texture of cooked cabbage.....SEEE! :cool: ).  Once finished add them back to the pot.  Finely chop the dill and add it to the pot.  Simmer 10 minutes.  Serve with a sprinkle of superhot powder and a giant dollop sour cream.  YUM

t0mato's Russianish BLTA

Russian Black bread
1 or 2 slicing tomatoes
Romaine lettuce
1 Avocado
mayonnaise
sea salt
pepper
superhot powder
4 strips of bacon ( Crispy )

Heat up a skillet and start crisping up your bacon. Remove bacon and pat down with a paper towel. Slice tomato to desired thickness and sprinkle with some sea salt and pepper. Slice avocado then rinse and dry 1 lettuce leaf.  Slice some bread and put it in the toaster to get a little crispy.  When the bread is done let cool for a few minutes and then spread on a healthy amount of mayonnaise on both slices. 

Pay attention now because the next steps as to how the sandwich is built are crucial.  Place the lettuce on top of one slice.  Next add the tomato. Then put the bacon on top of the tomato. Next put the avocado on top of the bacon.  Put the other slice on top of the avocado.  Spinkle with some superhot powder. My powder is some that I made a couple weeks ago out of the Freeport Bum's dried frutegum mix. He is a kind soul. 

Congratulations you just made a bomb sandwich.  Enjoy with the borscht.  They make an amazing combination.  The sweet/sour flavor of the borscht complements the salty/sweet/acidic taste of the BLTA.  :clap:

Attachments

• IMG_3710.JPG
    IMG_3710.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3716.JPG
    IMG_3716.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3719.JPG
    IMG_3719.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3720.JPG
    IMG_3720.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3723.JPG
    IMG_3723.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 70
  • FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3726.JPG
    IMG_3726.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 71
  • FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 68
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 74
  • FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 76
Nice entry t0mato!

I've never had borscht, but it's very appealing looking ...

Touch the meat D3 =) lol ...

I just touched my meat ...

1fe1209c3573facf1f1e2805d52b0482.jpg

The original pair of Scotch Bonnets are up in it to win it! ;)

bdd36e3544e4cafaa15b853a779e0a40.jpg

While I don't care much for cloves (like the guy from Caribbean Pot), or even cinnamon for that matter ... there's one thing I *do* want in my pepper-pot - fresh thyme!

8697603cb49a75629ff667f3f2ce06c8.jpg

5419a3c1cad33ad4065569705656e23d.jpg

Danielle just gave it her approval ... so now I have to share =(

:rofl:

Hurry up debate - I'm dyin' to eat!

grantmichaels said:
Nice entry t0mato!

I've never had borscht, but it's very appealing looking

Yeah the color is very appetizing.  It's one of those things that is incredibly simple to make and tastes delicious as well.  I nostalgic thinking about it not because I ate it when I was little or anything, but because I can think of all the hardworking people in very cold/harsh climates that nourish themselves with it. 

For your consideration. A Vietnamese inspired soup and sandwich; Matzo Ball Pho Ga and Vietnamese (smoked) chicken salad bahn mi.

1. Char some onions, ginger and peppers on the chimney starter as you prep for the smoke.

2. Spatchcock the chicken and season w/ salt, pepper and Chinese 5 spice.
3. Smoke the aforementioned chicken for 60 min using pecan wood / chunks.

4. Prepare the broth by adding charred onions, ginger, carrots, celery, garlic and about 10 Texas Bird Peppers (Pequins) and the smoked chicken (skin can be removed see below) to a stockpot. Cover with water. Bring to a rolling boil and simmer with lid on for 30 min. After 30 min., remove chicken and continue simmering for 2-3 hours.

5. Remove the chicken meat from the bone (return bones back to the broth). Prepare matzo balls and Nuoc Mam Cham (Vietnamese Dipping Sauce)

6. Dress the shredded chicken in the Nuoc Mam Cham
7. Strain the broth and cook the matzo balls in the broth
8. Sauté onion and chicken liver for a quick pate for the bahn mi

9. Add chicken, pickled cabbage, onions, peppers to baguette.Enjoy

Note - you can reserve the chicken skin to make gribenes. Yiddish for crispy chicken skin (aka Kosher chicharron).

Nuoc Mam Cham
2 cups of water
1/3 Sugar
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
1/3 cup fish sauce
1 clove garlic (chopped)
2 small jalapenos (sliced)

Asian food rocks.

Thai peppers are what really started getting me into chiles. I used to go to the Asian supermarket and buy a shrink wrapped package of them. Then eat them whole. My parents thought I was crazy

Some weren't all that hot but some were hot enough to make my whole mouth throb like the feeling you get when someone slaps you really hard.

t0mato said:
Asian food rocks.

Thai peppers are what really started getting me into chiles. I used to go to the Asian supermarket and buy a shrink wrapped package of them. Then eat them whole. My parents thought I was crazy

Some weren't all that hot but some were hot enough to make my whole mouth throb like the feeling you get when someone slaps you really hard.
Me too. Thai's, Bonnet's, and Aji Pineapple/Mango/Painapple are really all that I need from peppers ...

grantmichaels said:
Me too. Thai's, Bonnet's, and Aji Pineapple/Mango/Painapple are really all that I need from peppers ...
My favorite tasting chili is the yellow 7 pod. To me....their flavor is incomparable, but the down side to them (and all the Trinidad superhots) is that they are so spicy it detracts from experiencing their wonderful flavors.

I've experimented a lot with some milder chilies over the last year. I really like the heat level of the hot rod Serrano and the phenotypes that the bum produced when he crossed it with the chocolate bbg7. They're really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back