• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Soup n Sammie Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Well guess my TD is over, go to pickup my youngest and wife was watching a friends kid today...she gives away over 1/2 my soup to friends mom and maybe not even a full bowl left FTW.
Wow. Your wife must not like you too much. I could not fathom my wife giving away a meal I was cooking unless she asked first.

14695580_1341181375915585_7394441912063290302_n.jpg

Action shots:  Pinot Nor and sugar for the Pinot Noir caramel for braising the pork belly

20161010_175720.jpg

Getting my mice in place

20161010_180721.jpg

Reducing the Pinot Noir 

20161010_180736.jpg

Chilled belly about to get chopped and put into a hot tub of awesome

20161010_181342.jpg

Sugar becoming caramel

20161010_181705.jpg

20161010_183057.jpg

Hanger steak and noodles ready for the Pho

20161010_183855.jpg

20161010_184550.jpg

Check out that awesomenessness.  I had to be careful because not long after this pic it was about to go full caramel and you DO NOT ever want to go full caramel!

20161010_184737.jpg

JayT's Pork Belly Bahn Mi w/ Pho

20161009_092429.jpg

20161010_183057.jpg

20161010_185220.jpg

20161010_191034.jpg

20161010_191045.jpg

Pho Stock

6 beef marrow bones
2 onions
2 3 inch pieces ginger split
3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup fish sauce
8oz mushrooms
Tbls sea salt
2 red serranos
2red jalapeno
1 can bamboo shoots
1 can bean sprouts
a pinch of toasted chile threads, 3 star anise, 2 sticks cinnamon, and  3 Tbs whole cloves black pepper
4 quarts water
2 quarts beef stock

Directions for Pho

Brown the marrow bones, onions, garlic, and ginger in a 450F oven for 30 mins.  Add to stock pot with the toasted spices, salt, and fish sauce, along with the four quarts of water.  Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer 6 hrs.  Strain everything into another pot making sure you get the meat from the marrow bones.  Add 2 quarts beef stock and remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer again for another hour.  Chill over night. When ready to serve, remove the layer of fat that will have formed on the top of your pot or container and reheat.  Cook and chill one eight ounce pack of Asian noodles.  Some prefer rice noodles that do not need cooked before hand.  I used lo mein, but have also used soba or udon.  Have your toppings ready,  I used sliced red serranos, basil, lime, and red onion.  You can also use cilantro.  Place the noodles in the bowl, then the sliced steak.  You can use any kind you want.  I used a hanger steak.  You want it sliced very thin though so it will cook in the broth which should be at a boil at this point, and poured over top before adding toppings.  This will give you a medium soft heat when you eat it.  I like to add more heat to mine by the bowl as to not over power it for others.  You can also add more fish sauce, sriracha, or hoisin.

Red Wine Caramelized Pork Belly Bahn Mi

Ingredients:

2lb Pork Belly
Rub for belly (brown sugar, cayenne, salt, paprika
Red wine caramel braising liquid (1/3 cup Pinot Noir, 1/3 cup sugar

Directions:

For the belly, rub it with the rub cover with plastic wrap, and put it in the fridge overnight.  Roast at 400F for 30 mins then turn down to 250F for 1 1/2 hours then cool to room temp and chill again overnight in the fridge (this will allow you to slice it).  Make your caramel braising liquid by reducing 1/3 of a cup of red wine by 1/2 over Medium heat.  When that is reduced, place your sugar in a nonstick pan as even and flat as you can.  Heat over medium heat without disturbing.  It will start to melt.  As it does using a spatula keep moving the dry sugar over the melting sugar.  When it is nearly all melted begin adding the reduced wine.  It will start to splatter and my clog up.  Keep the heat on and keep stirring with a whisk.  It will loosen up and you will eventually see it beginning to foam.  Add the cubed pork belly and keep stirring until it is well caramelized.  As this is happening you will want to start assembling your sandwich so as soon as it is ready you can go right to the bahn mi with it before it starts to really stick.

For serving:

4 Vietnamese short roll or substitute (I used Portuguese)
Pickled veggies I used carrots, cabbage, radish, with a simple 50/50 red wine vinegar and sugar quick pickling.
Baby Spinach
1 sliced cucumber
1/2 sliced red onion
Sriracha on top roll, you may substitute spicy mayo

Attachments

• 20161010_184737.jpg
    20161010_184737.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 20161010_185120.jpg
    20161010_185120.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 20161010_191102.jpg
    20161010_191102.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20161010_191111.jpg
    20161010_191111.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 90
[SIZE=13.5pt]    Loaded D3 Cheesesteak with French Mushroom and Roasted Garlic Soup. [/SIZE]​

NPywNPn.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]French Mushroom Soup[/SIZE]
  • 4tablespoons Butter
  • 2tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 4Large Sweet Onions, Sliced
  • 8ounces Cremini Mushrooms, Sliced
  • 1pound Button Mushrooms, Sliced
  • 6ounces Shiitake Mushrooms, Stems Removed, Sliced
  • 1tablespoon Granulated Sugar
  • 2Cloves Crushed Garlic
  • 2tablespoons Flour
  • 6cups Beef Broth
  • 1/4cup Red Wine
  • 2tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1/2cup Heavy Cream 
  • 2Bay Leaves
  • 1teaspoon Fresh Rosemary, Chopped
  • 1teaspoon Fresh Thyme, Leaves Only
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  • 8ounces Shredded Gruyere Cheese

Directions
1.       In a large soup pot melt the butter and add the olive oil on medium high heat. Add all the sliced onions and mushrooms to the pot and sauté until well caramelized, about 30 minutes. Add the crushed garlic, granulated sugar, salt and pepper. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
2.       Add the flour and stir. Add the vermouth, balsamic vinegar and beef broth to the soup pot. Stir and then add the bay leaves, fresh thyme and fresh rosemary
3.       Bring to a boil and then turn the heat to low and cook for 15 more minutes. Then turn off the heat and add the heavy cream. Stir and test soup, add more salt and pepper if needed.
4.      Turn on your oven broiler to high. In oven proof crocks pour soup into the crocks. Place roasted garlic crouton on top of soup and put 1 oz of Gruyere cheese on top. Put into oven till cheese is melted and toasted. Serve immediately.

d3FwZiw.jpg

oLNaWvX.jpg

Hoagie Rolls
  • 1 envelope (7-8 grams or about 2 tsp) active dry yeast (not instant yeast)
  • 4 tsp sugar
  • 3 cups all purpose flour + a little more for kneading
  • 1½ tsp salt
  • 1⅓ cups lukewarm water
  • 2 tbsp olive oil, plus a little more to brush on the rolls
  • 2 jalapenos, one red one green.
Directions
1.       In a small bowl or measuring cup, dissolve 1 tsp sugar in ⅓ cup of the lukewarm water
Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let stand for 10-15 minutes until the yeast activates and becomes foamy.
2.       Meanwhile combine the flour, 3 tsp sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attached.
3.       Add the proofed yeast and the remaining 1 cup lukewarm water.
4.       Mix on low speed until the dough has been kneaded for at least 5 minutes before adding the olive oil and thins sliced jalapeno letting it work its way into the dough.
5.       Turn the dough out onto a very lightly floured bread board or counter top.
6.       Knead the dough by hand for at least 5 minutes after it comes out of the stand mixer, remembering to use as little flour as possible.
7.       Use the heel of your hand to stretch the dough across the kneading surface in a sort of smearing action, then fold the dough back over itself, turn it around a half turn and do the same again. Keep repeating this action for at least five to 10 minutes to develop good gluten in the dough. The dough should appear relatively smooth but still a little sticky to the touch.
8.       Lightly oil a large bowl with olive oil, place the dough inside, cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit in a warm place for at least an hour until the dough doubles in size.
9.       Again on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough back into a ball and cut into 6 equal pieces.
10.   Form the dough pieces into about 5 inch lengths and place them a couple of inches apart on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. You can dust the parchment with yellow cornmeal if you like but it shouldn't stick to the parchment paper in any case.
11.   Very lightly brush the formed rolls with olive oil. Dust the tops with a little cornmeal and thin sliced jalapeno
12.   Drape the cookie sheet loosely with plastic wrap and let the rolls rise in a warm place for at least another hour until they at least double in size. You don't want to rush the dough rising at this stage or else your rolls will be too dense.
13.   Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. The oven MUST be fully preheated. Place a small tray of boiling water in the back corner of the oven. I use an aluminum pie plate. This causes humidity inside the oven, which helps the bread fully rise before forming a crust.
14.   Bake for 10 minutes before reducing the heat to 400 degrees F and baking for an additional 15 minutes until the rolls are an even golden brown. They should sound hollow then tapped with your finger.
15.   Let them cool on a wire rack before serving as fresh as possible with the cooked steak and cheese inside.

zlViwAo.jpg

Philly Cheesesteak 

• 2lbs flank steak sliced thin
  • Dales marinade
  • Fresh ground black pepper
  • D3 house seasoning (pepper, garlic, onion, tony cachuras, pepper flakes)
  • 1 sweet onion thin sliced
  • 6oz portobello mushrooms sliced
  • 2 roasted and peeled pablanos
  • Provolone cheese
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1tsp flour
  • 2 tsp butter
  • pepperoni oven roasted
Directions
  1. Marinade Flank steak in dales marinade and d3 house seasoning overnight. 
  2. add 1tsp butter to pan, caramelize mushrooms onions and pablanos until soft
  3. Preheat pan over med high heat, add marinated meat and pepper to taste. Heat each side several minutes until cooked through
Cheese sauce
  1. Melt 1tsp butter in small sauce pan
  2. whisk in 1 tsp flour and whisk continuously for one minute
  3. add half a cup milk and whisk continuously until thickened.
  4. Add Provolone and selected cheese, stir and serve while creamy. 
rZbzUvG.jpg

Build and enjoy!

HJmAxbC.jpg

4cqjPFG.jpg

YjsomF6.jpg

cSHPHuP.jpg

Bean and Bacon Soup with Cornbread Turkey and Ham Sliders

I wanted to keep this TD as simple as I could since we were out of town all weekend.  But I still wanted to eat something that tasted great, and this definitely hit the spot.  I love a good bowl of bean soup and cornbread, but I wanted to take it to another level, and add some more flavors as well as make the cornbread a sammich :).

Bean and Bacon soup:

1 pack of smoked bacon
1 1/2 cups yellow onion
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1 1/2 cups celery
4 cloves of garlic
8 cups of Chicken broth
2 1/2 Tbs of tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp of sugar
2 tsp of fresh thyme leaves
3 cans of navy beans
Salt and Pepper to taste
Shredded Mozzarella
4 Chile de arbols grinded into flakes
chopped parsley for serving

First of all fry the bacon in your pot and set aside to dry on a paper towel on a plate.  Keep about 2 Tbs of the grease in the pot and discard the rest.  Saute the onion, carrots, and celery for about 5 minutes, then add the garlic and continue to cook for a few more minutes.

Now you'll want to add the broth, tomato paste, thyme, beans, and pepper flakes.  Stir in about 3/4 of the bacon and chop the rest up to add when serving.  Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring the soup to a boil.  Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for at least a half hour or until the veggies get tender.  At this point take about 2 cups of the soup out and blend it up and return it to the pot.  This will get a little more thickness to the soup.  Then let it simmer for another 1/2 hour or more and serve with some cheese and parsley.

Yay for bacon....

The cornbread sliders:
2 boxes of cornbread mix and the ingredients for the mix
slices of your preferred cheese (I used colby pepper jack)
slices of your preferred lunch meat (Turkey and Ham for me)
1 small yellow onion chopped up
2 Tbs of spicy brown mustard
1 jalapeno

Only spread half with the jalapenos for the kids :)

Mix all the the ingredients together except your meat, cheese, and jalapeno and spread half of it in the bottom of your pan or skillet.  I really like using the skillet for cornbread.  Its always seems to cook better to me.

Then layer your meat and cheese as evenly as you can

I sprinkled the jalapeno in the bottom layer as well as on the top.  After that pop that bad boy in the oven at 400F and let it cook until its golden brown.  After that slice it up in to slider sized squares and dig in.

These cornbread sliders were amazing.  The onion and mustard in the batter were a great mix of flavors in there but still let the cornbread shine.  And as always jalapenos and cheese never disappoint in cornbread either.

I was really, really happy with how this turned out.  It was easy to make and really melded together nicely.  The whole family enjoyed it and I know I did too.  I will definitely be making this again this fall and winter season, and experiment with some different cheeses and meats in the cornbread.  I promise you will not be disappointed with this meal.  

D3, Yeah, I couldn't get it done before the sun went down so I got the horrible lighting.  One day I will do something about that. Its just disappointing to spend that much time on something and know how good it is, and that you ruined it with shitty pics.  On the bright side, I did get cleared to go back to work this afternoon, and I have some awesome grub to eat!  Win!

That just changed cornbread for me forever.

Ozzy is there beans in that soup? I know it says so but I don't see em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back