• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Specialty Hot Sauce Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will! I will! And I have no idea what DPSE is..... and I'm fixing to traverse into the realm of the drunken chef!

9424017003_0c82661cde_b.jpg

Phil!  Really?!?!??  You've been around here over a year with +1400 posta and you don't know -
Drunk
Edit

Or are you just joshing us?  :lol:

Nice looking post! 

Liking kbrd's fresh fruits ...and custard???!  Sweet!

Can't remember the others as food comatose is setting in after entrée #1.  I'll rally in a bit and post the first ups.  No idea how this is all gonna work out~~~

Can't wait to see what happens with that passion [Edit.... DRAGON fruit! ] fruit! And SL,, yep.... food coma coming soon.... I'm waiting for your pics.... the lady, the legend! POST EM!!!!

Sorry.... my first throwdown. I don't normally cook for competition..... just for gluttony!

LOL!!! AHHHH!!! DPSE! Got it! Facepalm.....

Scovie is the master of the DPSE, or the Dipsy as I like to call it :lol:

Excellent first appearance, Phil.

Wait...WHAT?!?!???  Phil's first TD?????

:eek:

(nocommentnot gonna go there....;)  :lol:  )

Rib-eye Steak with Dragon Butter

This is a rib-eye steak with hot sauce butter. The hot sauce was pre-made and then mixed/chilled in the butter to re-solidify.  This sauce goes well with a steak because it adds more flavor. The Rib-eye was cooked on the grill with sea salt and black pepper. It had a stall of sorts around 130 degrees, but I left it alone-and that did the trick. Got there in the end. Was very tasty. Yum.

Ingredient List

Rib-eye steaks
Sea Salt as required
Ground Black Pepper as required
3 Habaneros
1 cup jalapenos
1/4 cup pineapple
1/2 mango
1 Dragon fruit
 3/4 cup onion
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup garlic clove
3 teaspoons honey
1/2 stick butter

To prepare hot sauce butter:

1.           Prepare jalapenos, pineapple, mango, and dragon fruit. prepare and set aside habaneros.
2.           To a saucepan add:        1/2 cup vinegar, 3/4 onion chopped, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 cup garlic, 3 teaspoons honey, and fresh ingredients (not habaneros.)
3.           Cook mixture for 15-30 minutes on medium heat.
4.           Reduce heat; add habaneros, and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes. Cool.
5.           When ready, transfer mixture to blender. Blend on high speed for 15 seconds.
6.           Melt 1/2 stick of butter (or equivalent,) and combine with a starting amount of hot sauce. increase if necessary until desired consistency is reached.
7.           Pour butter mixture into desired holding devices and refrigerate to allow the butter to re-solidify.

To prepare steak:

1.           Pre-heat back and middle grill burner on highest temperature setting.  
2.           Prepare rib-eye as required, and season with sea salt and black pepper.
3.           Sear steak on one side for 2-3 minutes, then rotate 90 degrees with tongs. Sear for 2-3 minutes. times may vary.
4.           Flip steak, and sear another 2-3 minutes. times may vary.
5.           Reduce heat to medium, and leave it alone. Cook until done. (about 155-160 degrees Fahrenheit.)
6.           Remove from heat, and wrap in aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
7.           Dab on some prepared butter.

DRAGON BUTTER! What a great idea and name. Great entry.

I like the sweet/hot thing going on. Steaks are great finished with butter and this one adds great flavor and heat. NICE!

Dragon Butter!  That sounds really good, and kybrdkid packaged it like it could go to market.  NICE!  

I'm predicting that this TD will really ask the voters to actually read the text this time.  So early in the TD, and I'm already in love with every entry! Seriously....take 4 minutes out of your day/life...read the text.....and give yourself the gift of a culinary journey. I'm already so in love with this TD! :D

Let it be known..... I Never...... NEVER EVER EVER...... use steak sauce on my steaks. But..... it's a throwdown, and I needed a sauce.

I don't really know who to go about posting for this one as it's all about the sauce but the sauce has to be on the dish....

I'll call this a teaser as I have another teaser to do tomorrow....  This is not the final entry!!!

One of the Rules was to make a "sauce" that could "go to market".  In that vein, here's the sauce...made in bulk so it could be bottled and sold.

IMG_1099.JPG

I've made a savory cream sauce that can be used for many different dishes.  Here's one of them-

QUICK  and EASY MEAL SOLUTIONS!  Make Savory Methow Scallops!

Ingredients-
Savory Methow Cream Sauce
Scallops
blanches veggies of your choice
cooked pasta like linguine or fettuccine
butter or olive oil

Sprinkle scallops with S & P as desired/
Sautee in 2 TBSP butter or oil until nicely golden brown with a few crispies.  If appropriate, set aside a couple large pieces for the top of the dish.
When almost done, throw the steamed veggies into the pan with the seafood.
Toss a couple times to get the veggies hot, then pour in the Savory Methow Cream Sauce.

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

Toss in the cooked pasta, mix it all up, plate it and put the saved pieces on top, garnish.....

IMG_1106.JPG

Worthy of any 5star/$18.95 dinner!!!!

And here's the other jars (which would of gone to market...) in the reefer for tomorrow's menu. 
IMG_1107.JPG

More To Come!  :woohoo:

Oh wow, now that's the idea. The sauce is doing all the work here, definitely marketable as a scallop or other seafood sauce. Just add pasta and veg. The sauce makes it the meal. NIIIICCCCEEE! Looking forward to your final pics and what's all in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back