• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Specialty Hot Sauce Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the idea....the sauce working for different applications.  I'll post all the details in the final post...just not sure how or what to use for pics~ 

We did a small test run of the cream sauce and used some leftover sautéed chicken and pasta.  The boys scarfed it.  Super Simple dinner in a flash! 

I still have one more application to showcase.....and that peachy thang~~~:)

Make sure your final entry is for the scallops as that's the idea, a sauce for a specific food or dish.

but...but...but....I also (per request from the Kid)...was going to do an even simpler version with Dungeness Crab....Aw heck....I'll figure it out. 

I also wanted to say the kybrdkid's spicy butter would be good on French bread.  Lightly grilled...mmmmmmm.....:drool:  Or used to sauté a few schrimps and toss with pasta....

OK, I admit it...I love pasta with butter...

"Seafood Sauce" should be fine, but just don't say it's good on chicken, ribs, and tacos, because that's not the idea. I think you get it. :)

I did say specific food or dish.

Dish would be scallops.
Food would be seafood.

You're covered!

Well as long as he is not entering the same thing! :lol:

You know if you enter two, one has to be a dessert. Right?

Thanks, It's a lighter cream sauce, not as heavy as alfredos.  Even though it totally works for chicken or even just veggies and rice, it'll be a "seafood" sauce.  

The Kid's not doing his idea. :rolleyes:  TEENAGERS!  

DUDE!!! I'm fading fast and in need of a major re-wine!  

TOMORROW!

teaser---peaches, crust, caramel, fatalli, cream.....

(stooped autocorrect!  :lol:  )

I feel ya, SL...... this red wine is kicking in, and we're watching a Lord of the Rings marathon. More HOT sauce creations to come in the morning. I'll finish winning this TD tomorrow! lol!

Custard with Afterburner Topping

Tried something new with a custard. Custard was cooked in a water bath. Sauce was applied on top after custard was refrigerated for approximately two hours. Sauce adds a bit of zing and peppery flavor.

2nd Ingredient List

2 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup red bell pepper
2 tablespoon jalapeno
1/8 teaspoon 7 Pod powder
1 1/2 ginger ale
1 dragon fruit
3 1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoon lemon juice

To prepare Custard:

1.           Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Place rack on center oven slot.
2.           Grease a small oven-safe cooking dish, and set in a larger glass lasagna pan.
3.           Heat 1 1/2 cup milk (approximately) to 180 degrees.
4.           In a bowl, mix 2 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
5.           Add milk to bowl, and pour mixture into cooking dish.
6.           Add some water to a pan, and bring to a simmer. Carefully add water to lasagna pan around cooking dish until about halfway up sides. The idea is to protect the cooking dish from the heat.
7.           Bake 25-30 minutes. Begin checking doneness at 20 minutes. Cooking times may vary.
8.           Immediately remove from oven and set aside to cool.
9.           Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate two hours.

To prepare Afterburner Topping:

1.           Prepare red bell pepper, jalapeno, and dragon fruit as required.  Juice three lemons
2.           Combine 1/2 cup red bell peppers, 2 tablespoons jalapenos, 1 dragon fruit, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 1/2 cup ginger ale, 1/8 teaspoon 7 Pod powder, and 3 1/2 cups sugar in saucepan.
3.           Bring to boil, and boil 2 minutes.
4.           Cool and set aside.    

Holy crap KeyBirdKid! I think this (these) have to be your best entries yet! Major creativity and such unique ideas. I would love to try that dinner/desert for sure. Great job buddy!

Salsa Lady.....you just about stole my heart with scallions, noodles In a cream sauce....OMG! Cooked to perfection and so mouthwatering. Can't wait to se desert!

Phil, that steak dinner is about to make me take a trip to find your house and steal your leftovers.....oh wait, there's no leftovers???? Figures.

Well hail! I was wondering what the deal was with the coins! Daggum!!! I May have been able to save it.... THP will have to decide whether or not it's allowed to stand

Post .55¢ with leftovers, a bite, or something from your dinner, and I will chant...
Let it stand!
Let it stand!
Let it stand!

HOT SAUCE MAKERS! This Throwdown is all about the sauce. The sauce is what makes the meal here, and we are taking this from the perspective of a manufacturer, meaning, if you were to bottle this, it would be a marketable specialty sauce. We're using this angle because this is a hot sauce community with members that like to tinker with sauces for fun, and professionally.
You must make, from scratch, a specialty (hot) sauce.
You must create the dish the sauce is intended for.
What is a specialty hot sauce? It is ANY sauce with hot peppers that is made for a specific food or dish. Think vindaloo, mole, jerk... if bottled these would be called specialty, but come up with your own, or put your spin on a classic. Don't just make a BBQ sauce, if you're making brisket, make a brisket sauce and tell us why it's best on brisket. Pork chops? Apple hot sauce? You get it.

It may be cooked or uncooked, and served hot, at room temp, or chilled.

Take us through the process in your teaser pics.

You must list all ingredients of your specialty hot sauce, including measurements.
You must name your specialty hot sauce. If you wish to go as far as graphics, even better.
Presentation pic 1 is the finished hot sauce either bottled or in the pot, in a bowl, etc.
Presentation pic 2 is the dish you cooked (or prepared) for the hot sauce, with the hot sauce.
Ingredients and cooking methods of dish required.

You can make two entries ONLY if one is a dessert (hot) sauce. AND if more than one is entered, there will be a separate poll for the dessert sauces, so two crowns will be given! Same rules apply. Separate post.

READ: The 5 Rules for an eligible entry

:flamethrower: ------>*********PoL: .55******** <--------

ENDS: Sunday 10:00 PM EDT

This is for fun and to turn people on to your creations, obviously, do not enter a product you are actually marketing unless you want to give out your recipe.

:flamethrower: KeyBoardkid.... 1 picture of the sauce, and second picture of the dish/plate.

And it begins!  Good luck to everyone.  I know that i'm going to have fun with this!

Attachments

• IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 74
Scoville DeVille said:
:flamethrower: KeyBoardkid.... 1 picture of the sauce, and second picture of the dish/plate.

slightly confused here Scovie. lol. 

If I interpreted that correctly, I believe you may have been saying that I reversed the presentation order of the photos in my entries from sauce first to food first.

I went ahead and changed the order in both entries.

If you were referring to different photos of sauce itself...there were two different sauces. (sorry had to ask.)

hope I got everything.

DO THIS JEDISUSHI!!! yeeeehaw!

I am still drunk and Dipsy. But gott dammit, that picture is upside down... right?

Please tell me it is. Or I will just blame it on my FLiPad. :rofl:

keybrdkid said:
slightly confused here Scovie. lol. 

If I interpreted that correctly, I believe you may have been saying that I reversed the presentation order of the photos in my entries from sauce first to food first.

I went ahead and changed the order in both entries.

If you were referring to different photos of sauce itself...there were two different sauces. (sorry had to ask.)

hope I got everything.
I am maybe mistaken ( :drunk: ) but I saw a picture of your steak by itself, and then the plated pic.
You need a pic of the SAUCE by itself, and the plated pic. I am only wanting to help bro. DO IT UP!
And your dish looks FANTASTIC... btw :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back