• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! The Dual Burger Duel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard scovie and SNF quit but s'alls good cuz then we have a nice round number of 10 cats lol. No worries guys!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

grantmichaels said:
Is it pronounced Go-Annus or Go-Anus?

grantmichaels said:

That's right - you were just there ... so it's Go-hWann-us, then? ...

t0mato said:
I do wanna see the gowanus at night btw.

The Hot Pepper said:
Follow your nose, it always knows

tctenten said:
Sorry. Missed this

Ga-wan-us

That is the NY way....

Guanos ?  :confused:
MVtBVO1.gif
  :rofl:

Hawaiian-ish Turkey Burger

So, the motivational thing for me to go in this direction was when a friend suggested putting a pineapple slice on the burger.  That sounded awesome to me and from there I started to hit the Internet.  I do not have the cooking background that you guys have so I was going to need some help.  I stumbled upon a an interesting recipe at
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/hawaiian-burger/. 
What I took from this recipe is the Sauce that they used to drizzle on the burger. 

Last weekend, we went to a friend's house on Memorial Day weekend and they just happened to make turkey burgers.  We didn't even mention the TD so it was kinda lucky to bounce some ideas off of them.  They used this recipe for the actual burger which we liked alot. 
http://divascancook.com/easy-grilled-turkey-burgers-recipe-healthy/. 

This website recommends the following things when making Turkey Burgers: 1) Add Fat, 2) Add Flavor, 3) Add Moisture, 4) Don't over cook, 5) Add binders, 6) Chill overnight. 7) Spray Grill, 8) Do a test Patty.  I made some minor changes like using Asiago Cheese Croutons for the seasoned crotons and since I forgot to get Colby jack cheese, I just used some shredded Cheddar Jack. 

Bacon goes well on all things Turkey sandwich and all things Burger so I figured they are a required piece.  I initially thought that I would do a bacon weaved wrapped Turkey Burger but I eventually nixed that idea and found a youtube video that did small 1/2 slice bacon weaves. I cooked the bacon up their way for the perfect bacon weave/slice for the burger.  That YouTube video can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vF-YiLoeTQ

I found another good Pineapple Turkey Burger recipe at http://www.smokedngrilled.com/tag/peach-wood-smoked-turkey-burger/ and I decided to steal the cooking method for the Burger.  The author used his smoker and used peach wood for the smoke.  Sounded awesome!

Other than that, the toppings are pretty standard. 

The full recipe is as follows:
OkUINnB.jpg

Turkey Burger Mix:
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup Asiago Cheese Chiabatta croutons, crushed
2-4 tbsp white onions grated.
1/2 tsp garlic minced
1 tbsp heavy cream
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground mustard powder
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp Joyner's White Ghost pepper powder
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 cup Cheddar Jack cheese shredded

Instructions
1. In a large bowl stir together turkey, croutons, onion, garlic, heavy cream, olive oil and egg.
2. Add in seasonings and keep stirring.
3.  Add in cheese and stir/mix some more.
4. I used the cool CaveTools burger press to shape each patty.

QI2oSxn.jpg

Cooking Burger
1. Get the smoker going around 250 degrees.
2. Put burgers into smoker and use peach wood chips for the smoke.
3. Cook until middle is around 165.  Should be about an hour.
4. Take out and cook on for a minute on high heat to get good grill marks and melt cheese.
5. Note on the one burger, I applied a rub.  Just the Jeff Phillips standard rub.  Added more spice.

6t7L7Ec.jpg

Bacon Weave
1. Cut bacon slices into halves
2. Used a large rimmed backing tray and put a piece of parchment paper in it. 
3. Make weave on parchment paper using 3 slices in both directions.
4. Cook in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. 
5. Let cool.
xhKQLQJ.jpg

Prepare Teriyaki Sauce
1/2 cup Mayo
2 tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
1 tbsp Honey
1/2 tsp Pepper Puree
1. Mix items in a bowl.

nbEplGg.jpg

Fix toppings

In my case, I used the following.

From top of bun to burger:

Teriyaki/Mayo sauce
Lettuce
Jalapeno chopped fine
Tomato slice
Pineapple Ring Grilled
Avocado slice
Bacon Weave
Smoked Gouda Cheese

Building it
9OCGxhF.jpg

xrlmffx.jpg

1XgbVrT.jpg

YnXNVDB.jpg

xC9j8CU.jpg

Here is two burgers.  Not the best shot.  My wife isn't a big fan of the tomato or the jalapeno so they were removed.
PXTxdcE.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back