beer Being Crafty

grantmichaels said:
I like brown ale ... stylistically, a keeper for me ... mild, esb etc ...

Including Scottish ale ...
I haven't found a commercial scottish ale that I really love. The Scottish ale I brewed last Summer came out pretty well, but I used some peat smoked malts, and darker roasted malts that aren't normally part of the style. The Backwoods Bastard was great, but it also has a massive bourbon flavor from the barrels, and I love bourbon. I'm really not that into super malty beers, which I think is why I haven't found a barley wine I truly love, either.

I used to drink the Chicken Killer from Santa Fe brewing company 12 or 13 years ago, when they had their Brews and Beats rave parties at the brewery. That was a decent, and very strong barley wine.

t0mato said:
That's a seriously awesome looking growler you have there.
Thanks man, I have four of them. I helped a friend paint his house last Spring, before he put it on the market to sell. He gave me four of those growlers and a badass surround sound entertainment center in exchange for the work. I would uave done the work for free, since he is a friend, but the growlers and mountain of speakers were an added bonus.

I just direct pitched some WLP 400 into this batch of Belgian Wit. I will definitely be washing some of this yeast at the end of the brew, since this is one of my favorite beers. I have brewed this recipe four times in the past 3 months, with a few variances. As usual with predominantly wheat it did that weird thing where it makes a big clouded mass at the bottom of the carboy, before it ferments. I don't know the science behind it, but lots of wheat and oats in the grist does this to me every time.

Drinking a HB Belgian Wit to celebrate this batch, and to help me stay up to brew the Gose. It's going to be weird intentionally infecting the Gose with bacteria, but it will be a fun brewing adventure nontheless.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I haven't found a commercial scottish ale that I really love. The Scottish ale I brewed last Summer came out pretty well, but I used some peat smoked malts, and darker roasted malts that aren't normally part of the style. The Backwoods Bastard was great, but it also has a massive bourbon flavor from the barrels, and I love bourbon. I'm really not that into super malty beers, which I think is why I haven't found a barley wine I truly love, either.

I used to drink the Chicken Killer from Santa Fe brewing company 12 or 13 years ago, when they had their Brews and Beats rave parties at the brewery. That was a decent, and very strong barley wine.
Old Chub from Oskar Blues is my favorite scotch ale. I think it's amazing. Founders regular Dirty Bastard is good too.

IMG_7100.JPG

IMG_7101.JPG

IMG_7102.PNG

Finally in for the day. Football and beer.

Decided to pay a visit to a local brewery. Drinking the above now and damn it is good.

12% too....a real beer.

PSA....if you do not know how to drive in the snow, do not drive in the snow.

tctenten said:
Have another one for tomorrow. It is called "Regular Coffee". That first one was really good stuff.

One of my fave Law & Order scenes, Briscoe walks into "coffee house", orders regular coffee, dude asks "How would like it?".. Briscoe says... "uhh, regular!"

Back