beer Being Crafty

tctenten said:
Enjoy. Sounds like it will be a good day.

I hate meetings. Always the worst part of the day.
Thanks, yes they are, especially the really long monthly recap meetings we have. 5 hours is rough, but 7 is brutal. The commute there and back is aweful as well in the D.C. NOVA rush hour, which if you haven't experienced it, some of the worst in the country.

I"m enjoying the first beer off of a stout I made from the second runnings of the Russian imperial stout I brewed last month. I added only a pound and a half of flaked oats, and a pound of flaked barley on top of re mashing and sparging the spent grains of the RIS. This is actually a damn fine session style oatmeal stout. I'm really surprised at how well it came out, considering I used spent grain I would have normally thrown away/composted. This 5 gallon batch of beer cost me only $7 to make, counting the pound and a half of oats, pound of barley, amd two ounces of Fuggles. I used some wyeast 1084 I had washed from a previous batch of stout to ferment this.

Shout out to my bro Terry!! Its like I was 9 years old this stuff is Hawaiian Punch. Soft, fruity, luxurious, nothing sharp yet still mouth puckering tannin in the finish. With 4 years of bottle age its seems like its just beginning to open and soften up. It will surely be spectacular in 5-6 years. This is up there with some of the best cabs I've had from them, they really kicked ass in 09 and 10 some of their best wines.

br-cohn-olive-hill-bottle.jpg

Ozzy2001 said:
Have fun TGCM!

This is a good one. Very drinkable but the For Point one is the best.
Thanks! I wish I had easy access to Trillium beer. They make some quality brews. I've only had their IPAs, but the ones I've tried have been top notch. My wife is talking about maybe driving up to NY and Connecticut this weekend til early next week, so if we do it, I will definitely convince her for a detour to Trillium. At a minimum we will stop by Tired Hands on the way to NY.

hogleg said:
Shout out to my bro Terry!! Its like I was 9 years old this stuff is Hawaiian Punch. Soft, fruity, luxurious, nothing sharp yet still mouth puckering tannin in the finish. With 4 years of bottle age its seems like its just beginning to open and soften up. It will surely be spectacular in 5-6 years. This is up there with some of the best cabs I've had from them, they really kicked ass in 09 and 10 some of their best wines.

br-cohn-olive-hill-bottle.jpg
I am going to look for that one. I think the wife and I would enjoy that one.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Thanks! I wish I had easy access to Trillium beer. They make some quality brews. I've only had their IPAs, but the ones I've tried have been top notch. My wife is talking about maybe driving up to NY and Connecticut this weekend til early next week, so if we do it, I will definitely convince her for a detour to Trillium. At a minimum we will stop by Tired Hands on the way to NY.
You'll have to go as far as Canton in MA. I have a couple of bottles to try yet from them. You can always go by Treehouse if you'all be closer to southwest MA.

I swear the drivers in Connecticut are imbeciles. The traffic was terrible until we got to MA. There were like 4-5 wrecks that jacked up traffic on CT 10. I was ready to strangle somebody lol.

tctenten said:
I am going to look for that one. I think the wife and I would enjoy that one.

If you can find their 09 or 13 Cabernet Franc jump on it. The 09 cab franc is the greatest wine I've had from them. I haven't opened a 13 yet but the winemaker told me its on hit and even better than the 09. And he understands my affinity for cab francs. Some how he coxes richness out of a usually somewhat lean variety, mostly used for blending for its amazing perfume. IMO when cab franc attains richness (which is rare) there is no better wine to be had.

:cheers:

Ozzy2001 said:
You'll have to go as far as Canton in MA. I have a couple of bottles to try yet from them. You can always go by Treehouse if you'all be closer to southwest MA.

I swear the drivers in Connecticut are imbeciles. The traffic was terrible until we got to MA. There were like 4-5 wrecks that jacked up traffic on CT 10. I was ready to strangle somebody lol.
I definitely want to hit Treehouse, but I don't know of there are any good sights/attractions there for me to be able to coax the detour with the Mrs. She doesn't drink, so also doesn't understand the whole epic brewery trip.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I definitely want to hit Treehouse, but I don't know of there are any good sights/attractions there for me to be able to coax the detour with the Mrs. She doesn't drink, so also doesn't understand the whole epic brewery trip.
It's a pretty drive, plus you'll be able to get 2x the limit :)

About to hit the hot break on the Belgian Wit. I popped open a growler of the nut brown I bottled last week. Yes, I carbed it in the growler, it's a flip top style, and I uave carbed many a brew with them. It's actually a great beer. I'm not usually the biggest nut brown ale drinker, but I wanted to give this style a shot. I'm glad I did!

Back