• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Best Chinese Dish

I just had some crazy hot basil chicken, the hottest I've had it! This place is THP worthy my mouth is on fire.

canuk - I dont taste the MSG, I taste the other flavors. its kinda like a hidden ingredient thats bad for ya just like cholesterol.
theres polenty of things you like that have bad things in them. & theres plenty of food items that have MSG in them. not like years ago but still theres plenty that have it, & whos to say all asain food has MSG in it ?

& I was kinda being a smartass when I said "I welcome MSG..." I would prefer not to eat items with MSG but I love asain food so I just dont care, & most likely I'll die from something else anyways :lol:

THP - I'll have to look into that "orange chicken", it seemed like they somehow fried the chicken(not really fried chicken in the plain sense) with the sauce or was added after.

***edit***
canuk - I just looked at some of my asain sauces I have & none have MSG in them, so whos to say all asian food has MSG in it but I'm also not saying all of it MSG free cuz I know that'd be a lie.

Orange chicken is fried and has a sweet somewhat spicy sauce and some burnt orange peels which give it the orange flavor, was that it?

THP - well it sure sounds that they're same as we're both discribing it. this place also had small bits of chives or green onion tops in the meal, not alot just small pieces here & there.
thank you very much for the name cuz I've looked under sweet n' sour chicken & others & in my couple cookbooks but nothing. but now at least I have a name to go by & search for the recipe, unless ya have one ;):lol:

sadly that was the only place that made the stuff for this area (even to this day) its like they prefected the recipe to a tee (they even were consider top 10 places to eat back in the day from the star tribune - local paper)
they moved or ?

Basil....best I know here is a small cambodian place that serves a 8" bowl of beef (if you chose that...) and noodles in a lovely spicy vegetable broth, wiht about a whole plant worth of basil on it..it'll get you stoned. Not including the VERY hot chili oil or homemade sambal. It's an experience.

They give me the goods cuz i come in with a freind who speaks the language and tells to give the hottest they can give...they smile really big...and do. Then they bow a lot when we walk out thanking them for it. Friend said they think we're insane or possesed.

Well, so we get what is prolly the hottest dish in this city...teehee. 5-star my ass..more like 20. Ain't 30 the max?

Under $6 too. ;)

IMO, it's simplicity, tasteful and artful pain delivery.

Love thai the most,Chinese jut doesn't have the delicacy and thought for taste like thai,Indian/Bengali/Kashmir(pakistan) and Nepalese foods are all very interesting and the u.k has the best indian food outside of India itself in my opinion and overtime the british/Indian cuisine has hybradised into some new and delicious dishes..Also New York and London have so many Ethnic restaurants there worth visiting for the foods alone :)

Whatever you do avoid the cream of sum yung guy and woo
flung pu :lol:
sorry had a couple of beers (ok a few :lol:) this evening
and trying to find a decent cabin/resort rental for the end of sept and I cant find 1 and I am gettin a bit silly and slap happy lol

I prefer Indian over Chinese anyday. Some chinese dishes I've had are so full of salt that I end up drinking pints of water for the rest of the night.

I like both. Indian is a bit more special to me, because there are plenty of Chinese takeaways (mostly run by Vietnamese people), but I only get to eat Indian at "real" restaurants and due to limited funds I don't go there often.

Well.. I live in Vancouver and I can say that there is indeed absolutely excellent chinese food here - I actually find the food tastes just as good here as it has on my visits to Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Thailand, etc...

As for a single chinese dish I love... hmmm hard question. What exactly is chinese? My wife's family is ethnic chinese but they're from Brunei, which means a lot of their food is full of Malaysian flavours. Laksa, mee goreng, nasi lemak, beef rendang, kohlo, etc...

Lately I've been on a Taiwanese spicy beef noodle soup kick. It's not super spicy, but supremely flavourful.

As for chinese food I love Shezuan aromatic roasted duck, much like Peking Duck but spicier and more tender. But among Asian food, I really prefer Thai food... Once in Phuket I ate a pot of glass noodles with lemon grass and shrimps, so hot, that tears fell of my eyes all over diner , but it was soooo delicious ! :hell::hell: And I love their soups too... They are always very hot and fabulous ! ;)

MSG is popular in Asia, over here it's got a bad name. I just saw a Kikkoman soy sauce commercial where they boast about MSG in their product. The whole commercial is about umami, quote: "Umami, the fifth taste," "Umami, the secret ingredient." Most people don't know they are referring to MSG.

I forgot to point out in the begining of this thread that the Chinese food i was talking about come from the Carry out joints that have the same menu in every state which is usually low budget an the only really fresh food is the brocolli. Not the fancy sit down type. But while I'm here again, has anyone ever eaten at a Mongolian BBQ. I used to go to one when I lived i Calif.

THP - you're bumming me out, you bring up that you know of a asian dish that sounds like what I'm speaking of, but no recipe from you (if you know of one ?) & I was at B&N bookstore today looking at a couple different asian cookbooks, but no "orange chicken" in any.

is this the basic name of the dish & is it chinense or thai or ?

I havent looked on the net yet. just because havent had time to do so & wouldnt mind another cookbook if it had that recipe in it.

Yeah man, it's called orange chicken, and you definitely had the authentic, if it had dried orange peels (I've had the take-out version too, kinda sucks)... anyways, here is all the info you need (minus the recipe) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_chicken

THP - sorry for questioning if you had the name right, which you do, my bad.

by reading the wiki link, I can tell you the general tso's chicken is CRAP! & is NOT anywhere in the same league as the orange chicken I had before. (& I'd throw it on the floor, at least the stuff I know of thats made around here)
compared to what I had years ago & what I'm talking about, it had a great sweet taste to it & not much of a spice to it though (but you cant knock the spice part because I swear they prefected that dish & you could always add spice)
I dont remember if there was any peels in it but maybe they were glazed over in the cooking process :think:

man if I could just go back in time & get THEIR recipe :lol:

Yeah the take-out General Tso's chicken is pretty much crap, like wiki says a lot of places just add some orange flavor and call it orange chicken but that is not the good stuff. I've had orange chicken as you describe it, the batter is light and fluffy, the orange flavor is very prominent, and I've had it with the dried orange peels, which when cooked burned a little bit, but softened from the juices... awesome!

awwww :drooling: you da man THP :cool:
I'll be trying this recipe out soon with a little tweek to it namely add the fried rice noodles & ? (but not this week cuz a little busy & deer archery opener is the next weekend, so next week)

wooo wait a minute I just reread the recipe, WTF KETCHUP, nawww I dont think so, no way in heck that crap was in what I ate before, & 3.25 tbsp I would of tasted that forsure! I dont like ketchup!

Back