• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Best Chinese Dish

Yeah that's a bad one. I'll keep looking.

This looks better, and more like what I have had that was good!

Orange Chicken

2 pounds boneless chicken pieces, skinned
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
White pepper
Oil
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon minced ginger root

Sauce:
1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1 green onion, minced
1 tablespoon dry vermouth or white wine
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon hot bean sauce, optional
2 tablespoons dried orange peel, soaked in hot water for 1/2 hour and shredded
2 teaspoons sugar or honey
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
6 small dried hot red chiles, such as Japones or de Arbol
dash crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tblsp. cornstarch mixed with 1/8 c. water

Combine all the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan, stir well, and start warming.
Cut chicken pieces into 2-3 inch strips and place in large bowl. Stir in egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well. Stir cornstarch and flour together. Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat. Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees. Add chicken pieces, a small batch at time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. (Do not overcook or chicken will be tough.) Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.

Pour sauce over chicken. Serve over rice.

thehotpepper.com said:
This looks better, and more like what I have had that was good!

Orange Chicken

2 pounds boneless chicken pieces, skinned
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
White pepper
Oil
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon minced ginger root

Sauce:
1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1 green onion, minced
1 tablespoon dry vermouth or white wine
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon hot bean sauce, optional
2 tablespoons dried orange peel, soaked in hot water for 1/2 hour and shredded
2 teaspoons sugar or honey
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
6 small dried hot red chiles, such as Japones or de Arbol
dash crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tblsp. cornstarch mixed with 1/8 c. water

Combine all the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan, stir well, and start warming.
Cut chicken pieces into 2-3 inch strips and place in large bowl. Stir in egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well. Stir cornstarch and flour together. Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat. Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees. Add chicken pieces, a small batch at time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. (Do not overcook or chicken will be tough.) Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.

Pour sauce over chicken. Serve over rice.

yea this recipe looks much better than the last one, thank you for posting the recipe.

You can also cook the chicken in real orange juice which is probably cheaper than the orange peel. I had another order of Singapore chow fun yesterday. I'm going to learn how to make this myself using fresh beef. chicken and shrimp. But 1st I have to watch the Ravens lose.

DickT - the problem with trying to make noodles at home, for me at least; was the following two things:

1) My gas range, although great; can not generate enough heat to properly cook the noodles. AKA - you lose the "wok taste"

2) I _never_ use enough oil. To properly fry noodles you need a TON of oil. Oil before cooking to separate the noodles, oil during cooking to keep it from sticking... I just can't bring myself to add a cup of oil to a single serving of noodles.

As I personally try to avoid noodles and rice except for the occasional treat, I've decided to leave fried noodles to the experts.

Although I've always wanted to try getting a turkey fryer outside and putting a wok on it and cranking the heat to max and trying to stirfry that way. I bet that would get hot enough!

skealo said:
General Tsao's Chicken - kicked up with a couple chiles from the garden!
I like this when it's made with white meat chicken, but the traditional is dark. It's also a crap shoot.

DickT said:
But while I'm here again, has anyone ever eaten at a Mongolian BBQ. I used to go to one when I lived i Calif.

Yes, and I love it! :D We used to go to a really good one on base in Hawaii every Friday night. The cooks at places like that generally cough when they cook my bowl. :hell:

As for Chinese food, I usually order General Tso's Chicken, Kung Pao Beef, or Beef w/ garlic sauce. SOP is to order everything extra spicy and if I have something handy at home, I'll add that in as well.

If any of you can get to a Korean place, try the Bul Go Ki. It's basically beef onions, scallions, and sometimes some other vegetables but usually just beef and onions. It's really good provided the place you go to is good. Also, it could be spelled differently, I've seen variations of the name even though the dish was the same.

Same thing goes for Chinese places..just cause the General Tso's sucked at one, doesn't mean it will at the next one.

hey CH, I'm gonna order orange chicken tonight from a local place and if it's good I'm gonna post a pic just for you :)

THP - ok, but if its really good I think you'll be just teasing me, like.
oh doesnt this look really good, mmmm mmm it tastes really good too mmm mmmm :lol:

but seriously, yea post a picture. & if its great try to get their recipe :)
I still have to make that one recipe, I will soon.

Here you go! Orange chicken, served the traditional way, with chilis and burnt orange peels, finally found a good place near me! Oh, and a Pain 2 egg roll! Delicious!

Oh by the way, this place has a whole menu of spicy dishes, and the place is called Red Hot :) I had a spicy chicken dish last night that was good.

Attachments

• orangechicken.jpg
    orangechicken.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 152
  • eggroll.jpg
    eggroll.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 148
looks really tasty!:drooling:
I havent ate yet, wish I could just click on the screen & have the food appear infront of me :lol:

BTW do you see anything in the chicken picture ? I kinda do.

chilehunter said:
BTW do you see anything in the chicken picture ? I kinda do.

Yeah, that orange peel looks like the chicken's head :lol:

ok, at least someone else see's something.
as for a chickens head, dont see that (because of the beak part dont really look like a beak) but it does look like some sort of animal head.
I was looking at it & wondered if they threw a baby monkey head in the meal for some flavor :shocked::lol:

With Chinese food, you never know!

THP - I made that recipe, well it didnt turn out the way its supposed to :lol: I changed the recipe a little. I think that recipe is wrong for ammounts to coat the chicken w/sauce & the flour part.

it still turned out good but still not the kind I'm talking about, but I think I know what needs to be done to get that style. I'll take another crack at it later.

DSCF1971.jpg

Back