• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Best herbs to add to garden?

Hello all,

I've been absent from the forum but still plodding along with a few peppers. This year I am getting a raised bed in a community garden and am very excited to be growing 4-5 types of peppers. I wanted to add a few herbs to the garden as a barrier between my peppers and legumes (I've read mixed messages on whether they should be planted next to each other). I know I want oregano, probably some cilantro, maybe a basil. I would really like a rosemary plant, but from what I've seen, they go crazy and take up a lot more room than I'd want them to. Can a rosemary be kept controlled with regular trimming? Are there any other herbs that I'm not thinking of that might make a good addition?

Thanks!

the one we grew definitely smelled better than it tasted. bruised it had a definite after 8 vibe but the chocolate note was more bitter baking chocolate on the taste.

as with any miint , growing in pots is preferred if you don't want it going wild and taking over large area.

Tower of herbs! Got a set of 3 from ALDI for $9.99… not too bad for the balcony. 18 total vertical pots for $20.00 bucks.

Attachments

• B92DE914-EA83-4DBA-A27B-DC65E959A455.jpeg
    B92DE914-EA83-4DBA-A27B-DC65E959A455.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 64
Here in Swansea Wales I'm growing all the usuals, mostly in containers but some in raised beds.....

Parsley
Sage
Rosemary
Thyme
Basil
Oregano
Coriander
Rocket Wasabi
Rhubarb
Horseradish
Mint
Lemon Balm
Chives.....

I've also got Stevia doing well in a big pot and some Acmella Splilanthes (Toothache Plant) that's really flourishing.
There are others I can't remember off-hand.

Have some young Wasabi that seems to be doing OK but I'm unsure whether it will make it through the coming Welsh winter as it's reputed to be a bit fussy. I may take it the house before the first frost. If I can find a space.

Anyway Good Luck all.

Is that "real" wasabi? I would love to get ahold of something like that. Have to grow it since everything I can find around here is horseradish based, even in the asian stores.

@HellfireFarm
Yes I bought 4 Wasabi plugs from Thompson & Morgan here in the UK for £6 (about $US8 I think)
They grew on well in a shady spot, I'm hoping they will survive on an indoor window-sill for the winter.

@Tinkerbelle
The rocket wasabi is positively blooming, has flowered and has a definite pleasant spiciness on the tongue when eaten. I'm hoping to collect some seeds for next year to propagate.

I'll get some pics up soon

Back