• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics BigT plant pics

Very nice harvest bigt, it looks like your ripe pods will be rolling in by the barrel full. Your plants are performing fabulously.

Ciao Tony-

If Silver Surfer is right, what exactly will you make with all of those peppers? You have some really scary heat on those plants! Really beautiful, healthy plants, though, well done!

bigt said:
My favorite plant. The Cappy 7 Pot "brain strain". In 7 gallon.

Brain pods coming in droves. I have another almost as big in a 5 gallon also doing great.

7 gallon wow that's a big pot. Will the plant do better in a 7 gallon over a 5 gallon? I currently have a TS that seems to have stopped growing in it's 2.5 gallon and was going to get a couple of 5 gallon pots for some of my bigger plants, but wasn't sure if a 7 gallon would be even better or not. Is bigger always better or would a 5 gallon be enough to grow inside under HID lights?

LGHT said:
7 gallon wow that's a big pot. Will the plant do better in a 7 gallon over a 5 gallon? I currently have a TS that seems to have stopped growing in it's 2.5 gallon and was going to get a couple of 5 gallon pots for some of my bigger plants, but wasn't sure if a 7 gallon would be even better or not. Is bigger always better or would a 5 gallon be enough to grow inside under HID lights?

2.5 gallon is a little small but depends on your plant size. I use a #5 trade pot that some refer to as 5 gal but is actually only 4. The consensus is to gradually step up in pot size so go with a 5 before moving to a 7 if needed. I've only used 7s on second year plants.

Silver_Surfer said:
2.5 gallon is a little small but depends on your plant size. I use a #5 trade pot that some refer to as 5 gal but is actually only 4. The consensus is to gradually step up in pot size so go with a 5 before moving to a 7 if needed. I've only used 7s on second year plants.

Thanks for the tip. This is my first year growing peppers so not sure if they need a huge pot or not. I planted a ton of seeds and ended up with way more plants then I anticipated so I went with a bunch of 2.5 gallon pots so I would be sure to have room for all of them on a back ledge of my raised planter. In the last month a few plants have grown to almost 4' in height and they are producing a lot of pods. Are those also candidates for a 5 gallon pot also? I could always do 2 rows if that's the case. I just didn't want to go from a small 3" pot to a 5 gallon right away. However all of my plants growing under the light are already 4' tall so I will probably go ahead and pot up all of those asap.

Also is it better to get the "tall" variety or does it not matter?

SeeYouJimmy said:
Post as many pics as you like when your plants look that good.

Thanks Jimmy, I'll have some more up when they look like they've changed significantly or if something really looks great or unusual. I don't show the bad ones!:lol: From your picture, you look like you could be in an Aussie metal band, you guys have some great bands down there and I've been into heavy music since Black Sabbath and Led Zep in 1969. I think Neil from Hippy is in a punk band actually. I wonder which one?

Silver_Surfer said:
Very nice harvest bigt, it looks like your ripe pods will be rolling in by the barrel full. Your plants are performing fabulously.

Thx for the kind words SS!

Sorellina said:
Ciao Tony-

If Silver Surfer is right, what exactly will you make with all of those peppers? You have some really scary heat on those plants! Really beautiful, healthy plants, though, well done!

Cia0 Julianna,

All those peppers picked on the 1st were dehydrated post haste. Destined for the grinder or some chili or sauces eventually. Maybe even a pot of stew. :) Jalapenos, Fresnos and Manzanos can be frozen and they hold up well. Thin walled stuff doesn't do well in the freezer. Thx much!

LGHT said:

I only had four 7 gallon pots and I followed Potawie's advice and put my Nagas in there. One each of a Bhut, Bih and Dorset. The last one I saved for a Brain Strain because I was hoping it would do better and it has, check the picture. Everything I have in a 7 is doing better than the 5 gallons. One Bhut in a 5 is close though.

Ok so bigger is better in most cases. I'll have to pot up most of my larger plants to a 5 gallon then. I don't want to get too big on 7 gallon just yet mainly because I have over 50 plants. Next year instead of planting 4-5 of the same variety I may just do 2-3 and put them all in 7 gallon pots.

November Update - the plants are looking pretty miserable with loss of most foliage, but they are still making pods for the most part, and some even making new buds and flowers. I've taken them in the garage for the last few days as the nights have been at freezing, but they're coming back out today for a warm, 70F weekend. The slow transition to the basement will start soon as I plan to overwinter most (about 30?) and see what I can get to survive. Odds are half will die, which is OK since I had way too many this year. I'll plant a few new ones in February - maybe 10 at the most - I have some new varieties to try. Here are some pics:

miniendofseason2009001c.jpg

One of two Chocolate Habs - the other looks similar. Leaves going, but still some new growth and a late round of pods.

miniendofseason2009004c.jpg

Chocolate Hab pods.

miniendofseason2009006r.jpg

Red Savina Habanero. Still making lots of pods for it's 2nd season after a very productive 1st round. A superb Hab IMO that doesn't have too much heat, but has great flavor. These will eventually ripen in my basement.

miniendofseason2009013b.jpg

Bhut Jolokia. My biggest one of four - this is in a 7 gal container and used to be magnificent. It's still trying to produce and will be overwintered.

more pics:

miniendofseason2009025b.jpg

Bhut Jolokia pods. This is my favorite pepper of all time. Sublime flavor and crushing heat. A must grow!

miniendofseason2009015f.jpg

Fresno. This is the 1st year I've grown them, but it won't be the last. Not near as much heat as I was expecting (like a mild Jalapeno), but great flavor and texture. A nice starter pepper for your friends trying to adjust to heat. Burkina Yellow Scotch Bonnet in lower right of picture. Another very nice pepper to grow, this plant is on it's 3rd year. It's most productive year by far was the 2nd.

miniendofseason20090237.jpg

Cappy's infamous 7 Pot "brain strain". Definitely one of my favorite plants to grow, but frankly, it's too hot for me. It blows away everything else by far in terms of pure heat. Very productive also, I have a lifetime supply of powder and pods after one year and two plants. Some excellent colors on these pods.

miniendofseason2009029f.jpg

Fatalii still cranking too. An excellent producer with good heat and flavor, but I think it is a bit over hyped. Very nice color and shape to the pods though when ripe.

Good to see you back posting again Tony. Glad your season was a big success. Do you plan on chopping your plants to the bone or keeping some branches. I have been weighing the benefits of overwintering and I only have room for two full size plants, where as I can start a tray of 72 plants pretty quickly and takes up no room at all. I overwintered my Seven Pod and Datil last year mainly for more seed for ya'll. I will be starting 4 trays or 288 new plants for next season so I figure what will two overwintered plants do for me? I have the DNA.;)

The Bhut Jolokia is also one of my all time favorites. Good to know you'll be overwintering the Brain Strain Seven Pod as I'm starting over. Fatalii is hyped because just a few years ago before the Jolokias and Scorpions and Seven Pods that was the king of the mountain. Nice Pics.:)

last pics:

miniendofseason2009033f.jpg

Fatalii still making flowers in November.

miniendofseason2009040f.jpg

My "Fatabanero" plant has been a real winner. I hope it survives for next year. Incredible heat and superb flavor. Still cranking out pods. Thanks to scoville for the seeds. Many thanks to hotpeppa, Cappy, hixs and The Hippy Seed Co for seeds that made this year my best by far.

podcount11709.jpg

Here's my pod count through today. My two tomato plants are still going strong too with about 20+ maters soon to be picked. Dorset #3 was somewhat of a freak with crazy crowded nodes and smaller pods, it still has more pods on it than anything other Naga. My 7 Pot Jonah broke a major branch early and should have done more. The Gold Bullet was a late start(March) and is very slow. It's loaded with pods now and should make at least another hundred. Start Bullets in January. My Serrano has been sick pretty much all year. Not sure why. It's finally recovered and is making pods like crazy now. Kinda late -:lol:

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Good to see you back posting again Tony. Glad your season was a big success. Do you plan on chopping your plants to the bone or keeping some branches. I have been weighing the benefits of overwintering and I only have room for two full size plants, where as I can start a tray of 72 plants pretty quickly and takes up no room at all. I overwintered my Seven Pod and Datil last year mainly for more seed for ya'll. I will be starting 4 trays or 288 new plants for next season so I figure what will two overwintered plants do for me? I have the DNA.;)

The Bhut Jolokia is also one of my all time favorites. Good to know you'll be overwintering the Brain Strain Seven Pod as I'm starting over. Fatalii is hyped because just a few years ago before the Jolokias and Scorpions and Seven Pods that was the king of the mountain. Nice Pics.:)

Hey Cappy - thanks for the kind words. I've been busy with other projects and haven't been able to post that much, but I'll be around for a while. :) I have a big unfinished basement with enough room for the 30 plants in a corner where the sun light comes in. It will be cold for them, but better than outside in the garage. I don't cut them back much, just pick the ripe pods and cut off the dead parts. Key to overwintering IMO is don't overdo the water. They need very little. Just pick up the pots when in doubt and test the weight. I know I'll get aphids eventually. Safer soap on the leaves and Neem on the soil. that's my plan. Overwintering is way easier for me than starting new ones.

Definitely take advantage of your sunny basement bigt, sounds like the ideal spot for them. Nice pod count, you crack me up counting all the white bullet habs your worse than AJ. Pods on my second year plants were smaller than first year plants and not as productive when not cut back. You have the overwintering down to a science.:cool:

Back