• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting billyboys harvest

very true BB......... Very true.

I groy about 90% more chilli than i need, but i enjoy growing them and thats what counts.

Im going to pick your brain a bit deeper...... how do you adminster the water and food to the plants.

And how old are those Scorpion plants in the pics....... i have a TD scorpion plant and 7 Pot in pots and they are growing...... slowly. They are in premium soil with horse poo, kept damp and fed once or twice a week.

Its cooler here in NSW though.......... and its getting cool at night which is slowing them down.

cheers

Its just a simple drip fed system, feed only during the day.

the scorpions are a couple of weeks younger than our contest Nagas.

A picture grow log of my (T. Scorpions)

pix212.jpg

18 Feb 08

pix256.jpg

24 Feb 08

pix389.jpg

10 March 08

pix504.jpg

31 March 08

Ok Billy boy, here's a question for you. Your plants are nice and bushy. Does the hydro fertilizer you use have any auxin in it? Any of the plant growth regulators/plant hormones?

hey Pam :)

I mainly use canna coco, http://www.canna.com.au/dhtml/products_coco_ab.php?lang=enx

but I also like General Hydroponics Flora Nova, I get fantastic growth with both these products, and find there is definately no need to buy the "extras" that are available at most Hydro shops, with chillis its a complete waste of money as they do so well with the basics and so little is needed. The only other thing I add to my water is Canna Rhizotonic in the first 6 weeks or so & a few drops of super thrive during that stage as well.

Hope that helps

billyboy

WOW!

im just SO impressed!

im thinking about growing hydrophonics outside this year. i live in sweden and we can have pretty cold nights. what is the ultimate temperature for the roots when they are in the tank?

can heat be a problem aswell for the roots during sunhours if i use a black tank?

WOW...Nice Plants BB. :onfire:

Thanks for showing your Naga Tree.
Naga plants - are they naga jalokia or, Dorsett Naga? Or, they are the same.

uUu said:
WOW!

im just SO impressed!

im thinking about growing hydrophonics outside this year. i live in sweden and we can have pretty cold nights. what is the ultimate temperature for the roots when they are in the tank?

can heat be a problem aswell for the roots during sunhours if i use a black tank?

You would want to use a dark tank anyways to prevent algae growth or if outside paint the container white to reflect most of the sun. I would stay between 65-75 and have it fully aerated in some fashion.

LUCKYDOG said:
You would want to use a dark tank anyways to prevent algae growth or if outside paint the container white to reflect most of the sun. I would stay between 65-75 and have it fully aerated in some fashion.

65-75 is that F or C?

im gonna use one of these for the cold nights in the beginning of june to set the watertemperature(dont know the english word for them):

0000458_01_full.jpg

The best container ive looked at is black with airholes under the lid so air will flow threw. If i cover it in foil or mylar. Will that work?!

Yea sorry about that thats Fahrenheit --- black is fine you dont need mylar outdoors indoors its used to concentrate the lighting so less is wasted -- and the Aquarium Heater will work well for the cooler nights

i used a F-translator and found out that 75 F = 23,8 C!

23,8 is not alot. i guess i have to paint it white. isnt foil or mylar better to reflect light than white? or do they absorb heat in some way?!

Thanks AJ - Naga Morich it is.

Hey BB - So how do you make your concentrate sauce. If this is a top secret trade marked intellecutal property, then it is ok. :lol: :onfire:

uUu said:
i used a F-translator and found out that 75 F = 23,8 C!

23,8 is not alot. i guess i have to paint it white. isnt foil or mylar better to reflect light than white? or do they absorb heat in some way?!

Mylar or foil will tear. Its way easier and more durable to paint it white it will absorb heat but not alot.

The latest pics of the TD Scorpions look very leggy between forks in the branches BB

I dont know enough about growing chillis to know if this is good or bad but to my knowledge they only produce chillis at these intersections of branches.

My question is does the leggy nature of plants affect pod production. Mine (habs but same chinense variety i guess) were grown in sunlight and are a lot stumpier with concentrated pods all over them.

Im not criticizing here, just asking questions for personal knowledge and sake of discussion.

Its obvious your Nags's are leggy, being 7+ feet tall and they produce lots of fruit, but would they produce the same fruit if they were smaller palnts?

Im interested in peoples opinions.

Im wondering if this groath in height is a priduct of groath from lights.

Im jealous all the same!!!

cheers

The term "leggy" in plants usually implies that a plant is taller than it should be, meaning not the normal thickness of branches and such. BB's plants look healthy, not leggy.
I can't see any logical explanation why size of plant would affect the fruit. resources? yes, but size? nope.
The size of the fruit can affect flavor and such. for example, usually when a banana plant produces different size fruits, they contain the same basic amount of starch. meaning the smaller ones in their ripe form will be more flavorful. could be the same with chiles (not the starch thing, obviously).

Back