• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Black Chilli Plant

Poisonette said:
Those look like Explosive Ember. I grew it last year. I wish I had picks of mine to compare because I couldn't find any decent ones on the web.
But you could be right about a hybrid of some kind.
Hi Poisonette
the pods are the same shape as Explosive Ember but the the pods are black, thanks

Hi Guys,
Here's a couple of pics of the pods starting to ripen;

IMG_2308.jpg
IMG_2307.jpg

My guess would be that it's a Black Hungarian (Czech Black). It seems to fit the description pretty good and the fruit looks pretty much the same. I don't think it's a Royal Black African, but the leaves are pretty dark.

Hungarian/Czech Black - Highly ornamental and useful in the kitchen. Green foliage is highlighted by purple veins and beautiful purple flowers. Sturdy plants grow 30-36" tall. Produces abundant yields of 3-4" fruits similar in shape to jalapenos, but shiny black ripening to red. Good flavour. (Capsicum annuum)

Hungarian/Czech Black

hungarianblack01.jpg

Royal African Black

royalblackafrican01.jpg

Pretty cool plant and I wouldn't mind a few seeds from it. I like the smaller plants that you can grow in pots given the short growing season I'm in.

Neil

Wow those look cool. I love the sweet, but hot types of peeprs. I'll have to order a few for next year to try out!

I can do some swaps with yous guys if you want to PM me,
The pods grow to about 5cm long and are hot about the same as a Thai chilli and very sweet, they taste like apricot to me :)

I've got a couple of Royal Black plants started, I wonder if they're the same as the Royal African Black. That would be very cool.

A hot apricot flavored pepper...I am intrigued.

JungleRain said:
I can do some swaps with yous guys if you want to PM me,
The pods grow to about 5cm long and are hot about the same as a Thai chilli and very sweet, they taste like apricot to me :)

They sound excellent ! Have you pinned the name yet ?

Sydtunes said:
Looks like a Black Cuban to me...

Yea it could be that too. This is the only pic I've been able to find so it's kinda hard to tell. The leaves are purple/black and so are the fruit. Similar shape as well.

black_cuban_chilli_pepper_seeds.jpg

On the chileman site it says that the Black cuban is a type of Chiltepin plant, aren't the pods on Chiltepin small? Also its says the pods are pungent, the pods on this plant are very sweet also :think: but when they are still black they are bitter!!!
I guess the next thing is to taste one then eh?

Plus, inside view would help.
I'll try and do that today.

Blister said:
Yea it could be that too. This is the only pic I've been able to find so it's kinda hard to tell. The leaves are purple/black and so are the fruit. Similar shape as well.

black_cuban_chilli_pepper_seeds.jpg

I have a couple of black cubans & black plum - JR dose not have them its too big.
012-1-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

Update of Black chilli plant;
cross sections of unripe pods, the taste is very bitter but still hot, when ripe it is very sweet!

IMG_2322-1.jpg
IMG_2323.jpg
IMG_2325.jpg

Another update of Black chilli plant;
Here are some more cross sections of a ripe pod! They change from black to red with no intermediate colour.

IMG_2345.jpg
IMG_2346.jpg
IMG_2347.jpg

Back