• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bodeen's 2013 Grow _-_ Love at First Sting

Not actually starting this yet. Just trying to get my thoughts together on what and how many I will be planting of everything. There is the possibility that there will be no cows here next year and the pastures will be made into corn fields. This would mean the barn lot will be free and empty. It grows some of the best grass on the farm and the barn does have a well and a pump already there. Could it be garden number 3??? Also contemplating enlarging the back garden again.

Seed list so far

Hot Peppers

7 Pod Yellow: One Plant
7 Pod: One Plant
7 Pod Brain Strain: Three Plants
7 Pod Burgandy: Three Plants
7 Pod Chaguanas: One plant
Aji Amarillo: One Plant
Aji Chinchi Amarillo: One Plant
Assam: Three plants
Bhut Jolokia: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Brown: Three Plants.
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Peach: Three Plants.
Bhut Jokolia, Yellow: Three plants
Big Bomb Hybrid: Three plants
Biggie Chile Hybrid: One plant

Black Hungarian: One Plant
Budapest Hybrid: Three Plants
Cayenne (Thick): One Plant

Cayenne (Chocolate): Six Plants, with one over winter
Cayenne (Orange): One Plant
Chapeu Du Frade (Bishop's Hat): One Plant.
Chenzo Hybrid: One Plant
Cherry Bomb Hybrid: Three Plants

Czechoslovakian Black: One Plant
Fatalii: Three Plant
Fatalii, Red: One Plant
Fatalii x Savina: Three Plants
Fish: One plant.
Fresno: One Plant
Habanero Chocolate: Three plants
Habanero Orange: One plant
Habanero Peach: One Plant
Habanero Red: One plant
Habanero White: One plant

Habanero Yellow: One Plant
Hawaiian Sweet Hot: One Plant
Jalapeno, Biker Billy: One plant
Jalapeno, Goliath: One plant
Jalapeno, Purple: One plant

Jamaican Yellow: One plant
Lemon Drop: One plant.
Paper Lantern: One plant.

Peter Pepper (Orange): One Plant
Rain Forest: One Plant
Red Savina: One plant
Sante Fe Grande: Three plants.
Serrano Tamp: Two to three plants.

Thai Giant: One Plant
Tobago: One plant
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T: One plant

Trinidad Scorpion Green: Three Plants
Trinidad Moruga: Three plants
Trinidad Red Douglah: Three plants
Trinidad Douglah Chocolate: Three plants
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow: One Plant
White Scorpion Tongue: One Plant
Yellow Thai: One plant

Sweet Peppers

Jimmy Nardello: Six plants
Douce D`Espagne: Six plants
Lipstick: Two plants
Sweet Goliath: Three plants
Atris Hybrid: Three plants

Gypsy Hybrid: Three plants
La Rouge Royale: Three plants
Golden Treasure: Three plants

Mini Bell Red: Two Plants

Had a light frost last night.  The blanket I had a burgundy covered with had frost all over it, but a taller plant next to it was fine.  I should be fine tonight, but I think the rest will need to come in.  

My peach bhut will not ripen on the plant :(

1391658_10200953127940500_42270576_n.jpg

I did get some poundage smoked after work though.

935986_10200953082819372_1476315710_n.jpg

I've only ever washed the frost off before the sun hits it.  Probably going to freeze this weekend and not warm up the next week. Don't want to keep fighting it and I want to OW the plant.  The end is here!!!

Today was the end....Pulled all the pepper plants out of the garden and saved all the pods I could.  I ended up with 11 OW plants and a tub and a half of pods.

I do have two Donne Sali plants and a tepin in my shop that I need to pull pods off of.  I also have two aji hab and a lemon drop in the shop that I am going to hang up.

Here is the lemon drop that twinned out of its seed this spring.

LD01.jpg

LD02.jpg

134 Burgundy pods off of three plants.  68 of which came from one plant.  I needed just a little longer growing season, but then I would have other pods coming on any way.

1385469_10200957438248255_491324965_n.jpg

55 peach bhuts pods that I hope will ripen.  That doesn't count the really small pods or the ones I picked early in the week.  Plant was a machine!!

995499_10200957609452535_773972524_n.jpg

And the final harvest....mostly green pods.  If my trend continues of a few dozen a day turning, I should be through these fairly quick.

1393956_10200957837098226_1423816024_n.jpg

Sanarda said:
Do you do anything special to ripen the pods.

Yes
I put them in a brown paper bag with a couple red apples and store them in a cool dark place.

It is working wonderfully so far.  Just checked and have a bowl full that I need to clean and prep for smoking.  Of the burgundy peppers that were totally green yesterday, 9 of them are ripe today and many more are turning.  Only one peach bhut turned though.

1391639_10200969235743185_1158478837_n.jpg

Yep Pia! In one day they will.

Except bhut fam isn't too gitty-up to do it but will--Jeff, if the peach bhuts hang longer in bag, they will probably ripen. Trade off is softer but if drying . . . just a thought. Am doing that with all green habs, as they splitting bad: probably get you more decent Harolds after do that. But love the one you'll be with? Mailed yesterday.

I agree. Continuing to water? I'd be with ya hon; "let's get this stuff ready for 2014!" And play Jim Morrison. Fabulous grow, hon. Only great burgundy I had this year! Speaking of Jim, the end is only the beginning. "Can you picture what will be/So limitless and free . . ." JDM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBFhdeR9PE

Had 11 more burgundy pods ripen over night and about 4 dozen or so peppers in all.  I gotta stem/wash/seed these tonight and every night so I can get a good smoke on Saturday without spending half the day cleaning peppers.

Yellow bhuts are turning one or two a day.  So far only one peach bhut has turned.  I can't get over how fast the burgs are turning.  I'll have over a dozen more ripe tomorrow.  Everyone that has tried the powder I made with them says it has a good taste.  I think I will go with 6 plants of those next year.  

First official frost here this morning.  10/22.  Last year was 10/06.  Lost only one day by doing OW on Sunday, but had all day and didn't have to run crazy with it after work.

ON TO 2014!!!!!!

It releases pheromones that just drive the peppers crazy and they just turn colors....actually they give off a gas that speeds the ripening process.  Tomatoes will work, but I was out.

Bodeen said:
I have the bulk of the peppers in cardboard boxes.

+1. No pod left behind. Jeff, for insurance I go bag, then box! Nice that those amazing burgs are turning and wish somebody who no longer lives here would stop getting mail. Dang, I hate snark behavior. But got them this morning. :rolleyes:  *Take deep breaths and count*

Thank you! Trying your powders on something eggish tonight after the sauce-process. Probably omelet. (Already tried one: excellent!)  Posting pics with some questions.

What does the code stand for: HBMB and HBFB? Already tried HBMB. As can see, already went for HBMB. :party:

AnnsGlog10-23JeffBodeenpowder_zpsef907ff0.jpg

Explained all that in the note.  HBMB is HillBilly Meat Blend and HBFB is HillBilly Fish Blend.  So far everyone likes the flavor and none of my non HOT friends have found a "taste" to be too hot.  

I too got some pepper love in the mail today.

1375721_10200979861528823_2072215881_n.jpg

I am saying Bonda and Harold are in the box.  Going to say TSMB, red Moruga and the flat red one could be a sav x fat???

500 some peppers put me out of bags in a hurry lol.  I usually get plastic because it makes for nice garbage bags in small garbage cans,

Jeff H said:
They give off ethylene gas Devv. Bananas do too. It ripens other fruit.

Bodeen said:
It releases pheromones that just drive the peppers crazy and they just turn colors....actually they give off a gas that speeds the ripening process.  Tomatoes will work, but I was out.

OK, I read about that a while back. Thanks!

annie57 said:

+1. No pod left behind. Jeff, for insurance I go bag, then box! Nice that those amazing burgs are turning and wish somebody who no longer lives here would stop getting mail. Dang, I hate snark behavior. But got them this morning. :rolleyes:  *Take deep breaths and count*

Thank you! Trying your powders on something eggish tonight after the sauce-process. Probably omelet. (Already tried one: excellent!)  Posting pics with some questions.

What does the code stand for: HBMB and HBFB? Already tried HBMB. As can see, already went for HBMB. :party:

AnnsGlog10-23JeffBodeenpowder_zpsef907ff0.jpg

Let me know how you like em.
Three days worth of ripening

1383362_10200980044493397_1735152555_n.jpg

2 1/2 gallon bag ready to be smoked.

1012015_10200980270579049_1736171191_n.jpg

Back