• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bodeen's 2013 Grow _-_ Love at First Sting

Not actually starting this yet. Just trying to get my thoughts together on what and how many I will be planting of everything. There is the possibility that there will be no cows here next year and the pastures will be made into corn fields. This would mean the barn lot will be free and empty. It grows some of the best grass on the farm and the barn does have a well and a pump already there. Could it be garden number 3??? Also contemplating enlarging the back garden again.

Seed list so far

Hot Peppers

7 Pod Yellow: One Plant
7 Pod: One Plant
7 Pod Brain Strain: Three Plants
7 Pod Burgandy: Three Plants
7 Pod Chaguanas: One plant
Aji Amarillo: One Plant
Aji Chinchi Amarillo: One Plant
Assam: Three plants
Bhut Jolokia: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Brown: Three Plants.
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Peach: Three Plants.
Bhut Jokolia, Yellow: Three plants
Big Bomb Hybrid: Three plants
Biggie Chile Hybrid: One plant

Black Hungarian: One Plant
Budapest Hybrid: Three Plants
Cayenne (Thick): One Plant

Cayenne (Chocolate): Six Plants, with one over winter
Cayenne (Orange): One Plant
Chapeu Du Frade (Bishop's Hat): One Plant.
Chenzo Hybrid: One Plant
Cherry Bomb Hybrid: Three Plants

Czechoslovakian Black: One Plant
Fatalii: Three Plant
Fatalii, Red: One Plant
Fatalii x Savina: Three Plants
Fish: One plant.
Fresno: One Plant
Habanero Chocolate: Three plants
Habanero Orange: One plant
Habanero Peach: One Plant
Habanero Red: One plant
Habanero White: One plant

Habanero Yellow: One Plant
Hawaiian Sweet Hot: One Plant
Jalapeno, Biker Billy: One plant
Jalapeno, Goliath: One plant
Jalapeno, Purple: One plant

Jamaican Yellow: One plant
Lemon Drop: One plant.
Paper Lantern: One plant.

Peter Pepper (Orange): One Plant
Rain Forest: One Plant
Red Savina: One plant
Sante Fe Grande: Three plants.
Serrano Tamp: Two to three plants.

Thai Giant: One Plant
Tobago: One plant
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T: One plant

Trinidad Scorpion Green: Three Plants
Trinidad Moruga: Three plants
Trinidad Red Douglah: Three plants
Trinidad Douglah Chocolate: Three plants
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow: One Plant
White Scorpion Tongue: One Plant
Yellow Thai: One plant

Sweet Peppers

Jimmy Nardello: Six plants
Douce D`Espagne: Six plants
Lipstick: Two plants
Sweet Goliath: Three plants
Atris Hybrid: Three plants

Gypsy Hybrid: Three plants
La Rouge Royale: Three plants
Golden Treasure: Three plants

Mini Bell Red: Two Plants

Picked some select peppers today.  Wasn't planning on a big harvest.  

104Harvest.jpg

104TFM.jpg

Got these from Annie.  I am thinking the one on the left is the Saint Barts.  Really nice fruity aroma.  I tried some of it and it was an instant tongue tingle.  And I do mean TINGLE.  Good flavor too.  Trying to think up a way to best use this pod tonight.

104annie1.jpg

104annie2.jpg

Jeff, the powder you sent is amazing! Might have to buy some off of ya; tastes like a sweet-hot smoked paprikaesque blend I made one year with some Caribe reds, smoked ripe jals, red hot cherries, and I think red Anaheim. Very end of season I start throwing kitchen sink in dehydrator after little smoke, not thinking too much, come up with a blend that's great, and not thinking about it, can never replicate. Making eggplant parm one day this week to get me through and that powder's gonna happen with mozzarella . . . might happen after eplant sweat too. Definitely going in homemade marinara!

Thank you!!!

Hey, Bodeen, your harvested pods are awesome!  You have a
lot of pepper love comin' and goin' at your place!  Loved the
foodie pics.  Fortunately, I just finished dinner before i saw your log!

PaulG said:
Hey, Bodeen, your harvested pods are awesome!  You have a
lot of pepper love comin' and goin' at your place!  Loved the
foodie pics.  Fortunately, I just finished dinner before i saw your log!

Oh yeah, Paul. (Those burg 7's are amazing.) I've learned to be careful on Greg and Jeff, sometimes Jamie and very often Ramon: eat before visit glog.

Devv said:
Paul I agree!

I think Jeff needs to come and cook for us here!

+1 Scotty!

Picked a little bit after work today.  Probably have 50 peach bhut pods hanging green.  Looks like they can turn in a week or so and I think the weather will give me that.

Looking to have about 15 burgundy pods ready this weekend as well.

The pods in the green colander are for a couple people I work with.  The one guy said his mom's tepin lit him up.  Hope he heeds my warning in the morning.

1375207_10200907311435116_1407509349_n.jpg

Get home from work today and find a present in my mail.  Pepper people are great!!!!!  Chicken and rice dish tonight is going to have some of this powder in it.  I can't stop sniffing the baggie of pepper garlic salt...smells so great.  Seeds will be put to use as well.

I guess I am going to have to give smoking peppers a go.  Its indirect heat correct?  Fire on one side of grill peppers on the other.  Add some wood to it from time to time?  Not sure, but I know all food should smell this nice!!!

1385153_10200911835708220_582038684_n.jpg

Good on Jamie for the seeds and powder!

I like to smoke at as low a temp as possible, trying to keep the temps below 120°.

All I have on hand is Mesquite and Hickory, so the exposure to the smoke has to be very short.

I use a smoker with an electric hot plate, same one I use to smoke venison sausage. A pit will work fine too.

http://www.devtex.net/images/446.jpg

Have great weekend!

Not sure what pepper he used but I put some powder on my tongue and its hot.  Had the heartbeat in the roof of my mouth and sinuses and my mouth was watering.  Tongue attacker!!!  Can't wait for dinner!!!

Devv said:
Good on Jamie for the seeds and powder!

I like to smoke at as low a temp as possible, trying to keep the temps below 120°.

All I have on hand is Mesquite and Hickory, so the exposure to the smoke has to be very short.

I use a smoker with an electric hot plate, same one I use to smoke venison sausage. A pit will work fine too.

http://www.devtex.net/images/446.jpg

Have great weekend!

Would green applewood work on charcoals?
I think I will smoke my burgundy 7 pot this weekend!!!

Perhaps mix some cherry bombs in with them?

I've never used Apple, sure do want to try it if I can ever find it around here.

I would be very cautious with green wood, it may come out strong. Perhaps put the green wood on and add the peppers after it quits sweating out the ends and wants to burn.

I did that once with Oak, the dogs wouldn't even eat the sausage...

You'll know when you put it on the fire, I like to age anything I use for smoking 2 years so it mellows. But that's what I do for wood I smoke meat with.

I assuming that you've never smoked peppers, and my experience is limited, they seem to absorb the smoke readily compared to meat. Maybe because the finished produce reduces so much in the dehydrator.

I guess you can test it on a small part of the ones you want to dry. If it's too smokey, you can thin it with un-smoked peppers. If you want more, smoke the rest...

Looking beautiful man!  Love the shroom shot bro....I would be scared though.  Last thing I need is to make dinner with wild picked mushrooms and my wife, kid, and I are freakin out because the walls are telling me that the keys are in the system.....wait....maybe....er...nah....

MGOLD86 said:
Looking beautiful man!  Love the shroom shot bro....I would be scared though.  Last thing I need is to make dinner with wild picked mushrooms and my wife, kid, and I are freakin out because the walls are telling me that the keys are in the system.....wait....maybe....er...nah....

I grew up eating these things and have picked them my entire life.  I only pick and eat the few species I know.  I am sure there are many many mushrooms I pass by that are good to eat, but I just don't know them.  Eating a psychedelic mushroom wouldn't be as bad as eating the one that is so poisonous that you're dead before you're done chewing.

Put a bit too much powder on this chicken and rice.  Strong powder.  Dinner was good enough to eat seconds and fall asleep on the couch.

1378647_10200912358201282_633376353_n.jpg

Back