• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bodeen's 2013 Grow _-_ Love at First Sting

Not actually starting this yet. Just trying to get my thoughts together on what and how many I will be planting of everything. There is the possibility that there will be no cows here next year and the pastures will be made into corn fields. This would mean the barn lot will be free and empty. It grows some of the best grass on the farm and the barn does have a well and a pump already there. Could it be garden number 3??? Also contemplating enlarging the back garden again.

Seed list so far

Hot Peppers

7 Pod Yellow: One Plant
7 Pod: One Plant
7 Pod Brain Strain: Three Plants
7 Pod Burgandy: Three Plants
7 Pod Chaguanas: One plant
Aji Amarillo: One Plant
Aji Chinchi Amarillo: One Plant
Assam: Three plants
Bhut Jolokia: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Brown: Three Plants.
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Peach: Three Plants.
Bhut Jokolia, Yellow: Three plants
Big Bomb Hybrid: Three plants
Biggie Chile Hybrid: One plant

Black Hungarian: One Plant
Budapest Hybrid: Three Plants
Cayenne (Thick): One Plant

Cayenne (Chocolate): Six Plants, with one over winter
Cayenne (Orange): One Plant
Chapeu Du Frade (Bishop's Hat): One Plant.
Chenzo Hybrid: One Plant
Cherry Bomb Hybrid: Three Plants

Czechoslovakian Black: One Plant
Fatalii: Three Plant
Fatalii, Red: One Plant
Fatalii x Savina: Three Plants
Fish: One plant.
Fresno: One Plant
Habanero Chocolate: Three plants
Habanero Orange: One plant
Habanero Peach: One Plant
Habanero Red: One plant
Habanero White: One plant

Habanero Yellow: One Plant
Hawaiian Sweet Hot: One Plant
Jalapeno, Biker Billy: One plant
Jalapeno, Goliath: One plant
Jalapeno, Purple: One plant

Jamaican Yellow: One plant
Lemon Drop: One plant.
Paper Lantern: One plant.

Peter Pepper (Orange): One Plant
Rain Forest: One Plant
Red Savina: One plant
Sante Fe Grande: Three plants.
Serrano Tamp: Two to three plants.

Thai Giant: One Plant
Tobago: One plant
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T: One plant

Trinidad Scorpion Green: Three Plants
Trinidad Moruga: Three plants
Trinidad Red Douglah: Three plants
Trinidad Douglah Chocolate: Three plants
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow: One Plant
White Scorpion Tongue: One Plant
Yellow Thai: One plant

Sweet Peppers

Jimmy Nardello: Six plants
Douce D`Espagne: Six plants
Lipstick: Two plants
Sweet Goliath: Three plants
Atris Hybrid: Three plants

Gypsy Hybrid: Three plants
La Rouge Royale: Three plants
Golden Treasure: Three plants

Mini Bell Red: Two Plants

Not sure how the smoking turned out, but I didn't burn or scorch any of the peppers, so that part worked.  Now they are being finished off in the dehydrator.

Only time will tell if the blend is a keeper or not.

You probably got it right then! I smoke my pods at a constant 150 with smoke rollin the whole time until they are almost completely dry. Then I'll let em sit out for a day or so and then jar em. Depending on the pods they take about 3 to 5 hours. I've never tried dehydrating to finish em up tho. IMO that is the best way to consume peppers is smoked powder. Ohhhh sooo good!

The last of my apple crop.  Good thing I have a lot in the freezer waiting to be made this winter!!!

541885_10200916829433060_1832681408_n.jpg

And this is why one should never go barefoot in the apple orchard once the apples start to drop.

1391929_10200916855473711_681685708_n.jpg

Here are the peppers I smoked.  The green ones are not part of the mix.  Someone wanted to try a sweet pepper smoked.  They gained a little lot of heat in the process lol.

Smokers1.jpg

Smokers2.jpg

Won't make a lot of powder, but this is a trial run.  At this time of year I'd have to do an ala carte mix if I wanted a lot of smoked powder.  I did use a secret ingredient that is not shown :D

Was calling for a frost next weekend, but moved it up to this Thursday.  Getting some pepper plants pulled and gearing up the grow room for the OW.  Will probably quarantine them to check for aphids first.  Most what I pulled were plants I was trying for the first time and didn't care to grow again.

My one mystery plant I pulled had quite a few green pods on it, so I am sampling some ripening techniques on them.

1378263_10200920111275104_1649218210_n.jpg

Got some celery to try this year, so I grew 4 plants.  I am starting to think I am not a celery grower lol.

1396033_10200920274959196_1201859504_n.jpg

Celery is hard to grow.

Takes it forever to do anything.

Gonna finish those in the dehydrator?

Apple dish looks yummy, bees don't.

Devv said:
Celery is hard to grow.

Takes it forever to do anything.

Gonna finish those in the dehydrator?

Apple dish looks yummy, bees don't.

Celery is just going to get chopped and used as needed.  Only have three more plants in the garden.  

That Romy powder came in handy when my squirrel and dumplings didn't come out as hot as I wanted it.  Just a shake or two per bowl and you're all set!!!

1375256_10200920999417307_1839854947_n.jpg

Hit a low of 36 last night.  The flat land had a frost on it but the gardens up here on the hill are okay.  Weatherman lied to me.  Hope I don't get screwed trying to ripen pods on the plants and save some OW.  Walking a fine line.

WalkGood said:
Jeff dem powders look great ^_^

Thanks.  Top right is the lime powder, top left is just the peppers before I blended.  Wish they would stay more red when I blend.  Might need to smoke the garlic too.

Sanarda said:
Sad to see your season come to an end.  You had a great season.  Any plans started for next year yet?

Already have next seasons glog started.  Pretty much have my plans set out, but I am still getting in some new seed to try.  Swinging more to the non reds next year.  

Man now I know why I don't frequent this grow everyday. I would be eating 5 time a day  ;)

Powder,pods,food. What more could you ask for  :party:

romy6 said:
 Man now I know why I don't frequent this grow everyday. I would be eating 5 time a day  ;)

Powder,pods,food. What more could you ask for  :party:

One is suppose to eat several small meals a day instead of one or two big meals.  Just trying to do my part ;)

Sanarda said:
Anything you dont have that your looking for?

I'm not really sure other than fatalii x savina yellow.  I think I want to give that one a go.  I am pretty sure I have a yellow DT coming my way later this year.  Really excited to try some of these new habs (jaques & bart) next year.  I don't know if I have any white bhut seeds coming or not.  
Not calling for a frost until this weekend, but when I got off work at two it was already in the 50s.  Instead of risking it, I pulled all the pods off the garden except a few.  I will be smoking the ripe ones tomorrow after work and then as the green ones turn, I will smoke them and make one big Hillbilly smoked medley powder.

1174641_10200941139760803_1718986300_n.jpg

I also pulled in 7 OW plants, including a burgundy for Annie
1377354_10200941603212389_176374684_n.jpg

Pulled in were 2 burgundy, datil, red fatalii, yellow bhut, choc hab, and my TS yellow.  I covered my peach bhut with a huge garbage can and I put a blanket over the other burgundy.  Going to see if I can weather the storm here.  Going to depend on how cold it is going to get this weekend and what next week brings.  I really want to ripen these on the plant, but I want to OW that peach as well.

Using my first smoked blend powder on my dumplings at work and a woman borrowed some for her pasta salad.  After a few minutes, she borrowed some more.  I think it turned out okay.  I should know more this weekend.  :onfire:  :onfire:  :onfire:  :onfire:  :onfire:

Processed my first batch of ripe peppers after work today.  Won't smoke em until tomorrow after work.  I really dislike deseeding white habs!!!

1395861_10200947227552994_2054824767_n.jpg

Back