• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Boomas BBQ

Cooking with Fire, gets a whole lot more attention, this thread is going to get regular updates on all things BBQ.

As some are aware i got a custom built pit/smoker last year and am slowly getting my head around this whole style of cooking. Lots of fun!!

Soon there will be a new toy to add to the outdoor kitchen, hopefully sooner than later............

Still after as much feedback as possible, always trying to improve.

So to start this off, Brisket cooked yesterday for about 9-10 hrs, then wrapped and rested in an Esky for 2-3 hours. Brisket was sprinkled with a plain old mix of salt and pepper.

Pork ribs done 3-2-1 method with a dry rub

DSC00990.JPG

DSC00991.JPG

DSC00992.JPG

DSC00993.JPG

Yup. Sounds like the Plate end with a couple on there from the Chuck side.

:)

Booma said:
Baby backs tonight, done over cherry wood, mustard slather, dry rub, Texas crutch with vinegar and honey, then a bbq glaze. All done in the weber

I use this exact same method.  We differ only that I like a mix of apple and cherry with 1 stick of hickory and I'm dropping a cpl tablespoons of butter into each racks foil before they come out and get the glaze.  Cooking on a 22.5" WSM.  

Very interesting to his invention of the grill. My criticism is that having too much coal and thus, they are much heat stroke. Using half of coal, you managed lla best browned meat and cooking slowly.

Here we make charcoal to one side, and put under when needed replacing.

I understand the whole indirect but this grill is designed for direct cooking over charcoal.

First time using it, will probably go a few less coals next time, but the only charring was due to the high sugar in the marinade

Booma said:
I understand the whole indirect but this grill is designed for direct cooking over charcoal.

First time using it, will probably go a few less coals next time, but the only charring was due to the high sugar in the marinade

With fire aside I meant that two fires, one directly below, the other fire somewhere else to have available replacement burning coal.

In the next picture you see on the left the coal reserve. We do not use it all at once to cook this way. The meat acquired taste better using coal, when ash is formed out of the burning ember(red inside). This happens when the fire dies

img_7941small.jpg

Good method to verify correct heat into the meat is placed your hand on the side of the meat (without touching the grill or you will burn, haha)
If you are able to count to 3, has the right temperature. If you do not have to hold out until 3 too hot, if you could count to four is too cold. It's simple, but effective.

Back