• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

BREAKFAST!!!

I was looking for a breakfast thread and never found one that seemed open-ended enough to post on. So here y'all go!

Posty up your breakfast if you like, even if it's cold leftover pizza.

No time for words? No problem. Show us your awesome yellowish cell phone camera pic. No obligation to write out a recipe here if you don't want to.

Forgot to take a picture until halfway through the meal? Perfect! Selfie photo-op.

Whoops! You made brunch instead? That's cool... it counts.

I'll go first with a take on a Cuban breakfast called Huevos Habaneros. It means Havana Eggs, but it's not made with Habaneros. In fact, it's not traditionally spicy hot. (Cuban meals typically aren't.) So, I had to SoFlo it up a bit and call it something different.

Huevos SoFlo

12696616545_24ec2f99e5_b.jpg

These are eggs baked over sofrito with butter on top in a custard cup for about 12 minutes at 375 F (yolks are still a bit runny). Then topped with more sofrito and garnished with some cayenne powder, but sofrito isn't spicy hot either. So...

Sofrito Caliente

(Enough for one serving)

1/4 cup chopped onion
1 Fresno pepper (cored and chopped)
1 green jalapeno (cored and chopped)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup peeled, cored, chopped tomato
olive oil for sauteing

Saute the onion and peppers till the onion is translucent. Then add the garlic and cumin for a minute more. Then toss in the tomato for another minute or two. Salt and black pepper to taste.

Do it up y'all!

Let's see what breaks your fast.

not to start #egggate but color of yolk is from what the chicken eats. More dark orange/ salmon color or even darker yellow means the hen/pullet had a more varied diet. like you get in free range. light yolk doesn't mean it's bad still could be 100% organic but if it only eats pellets all day it wont get that real rich color.  My chickens yolk color change from winter to summer because of all the good stuff they eat running around in summer. 

FreeportBum said:
not to start #egggate but color of yolk is from what the chicken eats. More dark orange/ salmon color or even darker yellow means the hen/pullet had a more varied diet. like you get in free range. light yolk doesn't mean it's bad still could be 100% organic but if it only eats pellets all day it wont get that real rich color.  My chickens yolk color change from winter to summer because of all the good stuff they eat running around in summer. 

He speaks truth.  Breed will matter in terms of shell color, but yolk is all diet. 

my wife made us rosti and I had egg and asparagus with mine....  green Grace scotch bonnet sauce and  the joy of harvest Tamarind sauce... Think Pickapeppa  sauce on steriods, you can actually taste scotch bonnet in it, although still pretty mild. 

d4GIS9P.jpg

Look away for those squeamish to the runny eggs.    Money shot for those that likey  :P

uFat9Yj.jpg

one poke, one yolk ... lol.

looks great ...

i'm going to have a beer for breakfast, once i get past the excitatory phase of the gorilla-strength coffee beverage Danielle whipped up this morning, err afternoon ...

went to IHOP again,   but I had a problem...  I'm out of LuckyDogHotSauce Pink Label too  :mope:

so I decided to bring some Green Label & a couple small early season Ghosts I got locally  :dance:

Chicken Fajita Omelet Served with a Serrano, I brought a couple small  Red Ghosts and Some LuckyDog 

Well not only was Breakfast Freakin' Hot, but the Ghost fragrance was strong, I think it really upset the couple seated @ the next table... there conversation got a lot louder, and turned to; Wow where is that coming from ? is that the hot sauce on that guys potato's ? how can anyone eat something that hot ? it smells hot and I'm not even eating it!  (it was the Ghosts) 

:rofl:

I think I'll stick to Sauce and Powders in the future when we go out to eat.

the waiter was excited when I offered him a Ghost pepper though  :D

Ashen said:
leftovers    for brekkie?  Hels yes!!  .     mashed potatoes and meatloaf on the Comal.. Viva la plancha!   eggs, asparagus,   Red Savina hot sauce.   

Time to pull the  garbage bins in before the neighbours complain and then rebuild the steps   for the deck now that it has stopped raining.. 

Nice plate of food there Ashen, nice plate too!

grantmichaels said:
Working that new camera phone like mofo ... lotsa pop in that picture ...

Food looks bomb. Meatloaf ... YES!

that was just my old point and shoot camera..  had to adjust brightness and shadows .. One of these days I will get around to buying a nice camera and  doing a simple photo setup  .  there is a good thread about it over on Egullet. 

Ashen said:

that was just my old point and shoot camera..  had to adjust brightness and shadows .. One of these days I will get around to buying a nice camera and  doing a simple photo setup  .  there is a good thread about it over on Egullet. 

me too - the day i launch a food blog.

the only site I've ever remained a lurker ... but it's genuinely one of my favorite places online.

Back