• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

BREAKFAST!!!

I was looking for a breakfast thread and never found one that seemed open-ended enough to post on. So here y'all go!

Posty up your breakfast if you like, even if it's cold leftover pizza.

No time for words? No problem. Show us your awesome yellowish cell phone camera pic. No obligation to write out a recipe here if you don't want to.

Forgot to take a picture until halfway through the meal? Perfect! Selfie photo-op.

Whoops! You made brunch instead? That's cool... it counts.

I'll go first with a take on a Cuban breakfast called Huevos Habaneros. It means Havana Eggs, but it's not made with Habaneros. In fact, it's not traditionally spicy hot. (Cuban meals typically aren't.) So, I had to SoFlo it up a bit and call it something different.

Huevos SoFlo

12696616545_24ec2f99e5_b.jpg

These are eggs baked over sofrito with butter on top in a custard cup for about 12 minutes at 375 F (yolks are still a bit runny). Then topped with more sofrito and garnished with some cayenne powder, but sofrito isn't spicy hot either. So...

Sofrito Caliente

(Enough for one serving)

1/4 cup chopped onion
1 Fresno pepper (cored and chopped)
1 green jalapeno (cored and chopped)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup peeled, cored, chopped tomato
olive oil for sauteing

Saute the onion and peppers till the onion is translucent. Then add the garlic and cumin for a minute more. Then toss in the tomato for another minute or two. Salt and black pepper to taste.

Do it up y'all!

Let's see what breaks your fast.

Okay, so whether you call it; Egg in a hole, Popeye, Bullseye, or Egg in a basket, or any other name for it. This here is a twist on that classic Breakfast...

I like quesadillas &,  I like egg in a basket... so I figured, why not make: Huevo en la queso canasta for breakfast (at least that's what I'm calling it)

first I cut some holes through a small stack of tortillas
(there are many ways to do this *be creative, I used my canning funnel to press out the circles)

then I partly crisped up the tortillas making sure to leave 1 side less done on each,

then i spread some leftover Hash browns au gratin, & some more queso, onto 1 of the tortillas, on it's crispier side, then crumbled some bacon on there as well, covered with the other 1/2 cooked Tortilla, & returned to the pan,

Then I cracked an egg into the hole, and lifted the edges of the tortilla carefully allowing some of the egg white to spill through the hole and under the tortilla while making sure not to break  the Yolk.

then I Cover the pan and wait... 

after about 1- 1.5 minutes, now flip it, cook for another 1-1.5 minutes, cover again and remove from the burner and start plating up whatever else you will be having with it,
(now is a good time to figure out which hot sauce you will be having with it)

remove from pan and plate, if done correctly you should have some runny yolk left when you cut into the middle (unless you don't like runny yolk, in which case ignore the time, & burn the shit out of your eggs if that's how you like them ;) )

and because 1 is never enough...

2nd one cooked too long, no runny yolk  :mope:

so, now it's a Taco  ;)

SmokenFire aka Dru makes some Awesome Sauce, and powders (thats his Dee Roo Stardust on the Avocado as well)

Thanks again Dru for making and sharing your fantastic sauces and powders

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
thanks,

i'm learning, I appreciate the constructive criticism, I'm glad someone said something.  it seems to be helping

:cheers:

Turning the flash off, is probably the next move ...

I have mine set to Off, and only turn it On if I cannot get a picture

Flash is a PITA, really.

In the future, time permitting, I'll become a card-carrying strobist ... love the style.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Lava Lips as in the hot sauce shop?

Is this their own creation or a private label sauce?
This is 1 from another THP member, SmokenFire  aka Dru's  Dee Roo Hot sauce

Don't worry Scott i'm still in love with Lucky Dog Hot Sauces  ;)  (going to be putting in an order for some more Brown label, and some Pink label too)
just been trying a few others lately.

Anniversary Breakfast!!!

Recipe courtesy HopsNBarley:

Graciously butter a small ramekin and line with thin sliced pancetta.   note:  I used sliced Thuringer sausage
Add about 2 tsp or so of heavy cream. 
Crack in one egg
On top of the egg add an additional 1-2 tsp of heavy cream 
Finally add 2 tsp of Boursin on top and some fresh cracked black pepper. 

Place ramekins in a baking dish and add water to around 1/2 the depth of the ramekin. 
Bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes or until the whites are set and the yolks are to your preference. 

Begin with the sausage/cream then crack the egg in:

dmwtxv.jpg

Top with a bit more cream and the boursin cheese, then pour the water around the ramekins:

scqgq9.jpg

The finished plate:

2ypetyw.jpg

mmmrphhhml:

es6v5c.jpg

SmokenFire said:
Anniversary Breakfast!!!

Graciously butter a small ramekin and line with thin sliced pancetta.   note:  I used sliced Thuringer sausage
Crack in one egg

Place ramekins in a baking dish and add water to around 1/2 the depth of the ramekin. 
Bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes or until the whites are set and the yolks are to your preference. 

dmwtxv.jpg

Top with a bit more cream and the boursin cheese, then pour the water around the ramekins:

scqgq9.jpg

The finished plate:

2ypetyw.jpg

mmmrphhhml:

es6v5c.jpg
Happy Anniversary Dru !
Breakfast looks Delicious  :dance:

SmokenFire said:
Anniversary Breakfast!!!

Crack in one egg

dmwtxv.jpg

scqgq9.jpg

The finished plate:

2ypetyw.jpg

mmmrphhhml:

es6v5c.jpg

Happy anniversary Dru.  I have apparently been away from this forum for too long.  When did you start selling your sauce?  I knew you were considering it but did not know you are this far along?  How can I purchase?  Let me know.

SmokenFire said:
Anniversary Breakfast!!!

Crack in one egg

dmwtxv.jpg

scqgq9.jpg

The finished plate:

2ypetyw.jpg

mmmrphhhml:

es6v5c.jpg

You know what makes a fine bain marie! ... LOL.
giphyg.gif

I dig it but what is it?

Chile's and some kind of bun but what else?

Whats the meat?

Ground beef?

Sausage?

Whats the stuff that kinda' looks like potato salad or some such?

Details por favor.

Just a good old sage sausage hand made patty fried, some scrambled eggs, hamburger bun toasted with real butter, with sauteed fresno, red & gold cayenne, and white onions.

I'll try to be specific from now on. Cheers!

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
Just a good old sage sausage hand made patty fried, some scrambled eggs, hamburger bun toasted with real butter, with sauteed fresno, red & gold cayenne, and white onions.

I'll try to be specific from now on. Cheers!

I was feeling you from the get go:  Fork of eggs, nibble of sausage, bite of toast.  For me it's all about the assemblage of the perfect bite of whatever meal I'm eating.  So glad I abolished the use of anything not real butter from the house years ago.  :)

Breakfast W/ Dee Roo !

just bought some more Dee Roo (aka SmokenFire) stuff and went on a flavor excursion this morning  :dance:

Fried eggs dusted with Dee Roo's  new Green Machine seasoning, and doused with Lava Lips & Tiki Torch Sauces, Yellow pear tomatoes dusted with Dee Roo Taco Tue (another new one for me). Avocado is dusted with Dee Roo Tail of the Comet, there were also sungold cherry tomatoes, and  an Aji Omnicolor in it's white stage.

Everything was delicious  :D 

Dru, thanks again for your delicious sauces and seasonings. I look forward to using them on many different dishes

Awesome GIP very nice post !!! :) anyone lucky enough to have tried SmokenFire's sauces or rubs know for a fact that Dee Roo is top notch and so is Dru anyone who hasn't tried get with Smoke and get yer order placed this stuff will go fast!!!!! :)
Now excuse me, I'm going to GIP's place for a plate of that!!! :)

Back